PDA

View Full Version : Product of the Week!!

Poodroo
01-05-2007, 06:54 PM
G'day one and all, after taking on a tinnie project as my very first boat it is ready for the water finally and the big test will be this weekend in fact. Preparing it for the water has been one big learning curve. Obviously there is money that has had to leave my pocket to make it all possible. Expentiture on the boat itself and products has been ongoing. Just yesterday I installed the sounder and after sharing many of the ups and downs to boating with my brother over the years I started to plan what I was going to do to reduce problems later on. Salt water and salty air just corrodes things so constant maintenence is required or things can and do go wrong and one thing that sticks to mind is electrical connections. How many times have you motored out and something electrical has stopped working like lights, sounder etc? Well this is what has led me to do this thread because I asked this particular dealer if I could possibly buy connections in stainless for longivity? The salesman laughed and said "Nice thought but there is no such thing!" but he then tells me of a product that would solve the corroded connection problems. It is called "Star Brite Liquid Electrical Tape" which comes in a tin with a brush applicator under the lid. Anywhere you solder or make an electrical join you just paint this stuff on and it dries pretty fast leaving an well sealed join. I have used it and I call it as my personal product of the week. I thought I would share it with you all because I am sure not all of you have heard of it although many probably have. If it helps one person then I am happy. Now here is my idea. If any of you have a similar fantastic product that you swear by please take a pic of it and feel free to share. What product are you happy with that you would call your personal product of the week? We can all benefit from one another by sharing these products here in this thread. Look forward to the responses.

Regards,

Poodroo

finga
01-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Be carefull with that stuff.
All it takes is one stray strand of wire either missed with the goo or sticking out when you put the goo on and your up the poo creek.
It also cracks after a while unless they fixed that little problem.
Resin filled heatshrink is the go to protect any soldered joins in wire and a bit of lanolin grease or similar (there are specialty pastes you can buy and use but Lanolin grease works pretty good) on terminals (ie switches, fuses, fuse blades etc) and no problems.

You can get terminals like spade lugs in stainless. You just have to find them. I used a lot of 6mm female spade terminals fixing stoves in a previous life.
They're not worth it for marine use because of the dissimilar metals bit. More trouble then they're worth and they can only be crimped not soldered as well.

That stuff Poo is describing is good though for tidying up end of spliced ropes and the such though. :)
Where did you get it Andrew as Lucky Phil was after some I think.

akman1
01-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Product of the year,whoops-century,Love-em,
condoms,Saves a lot of hassles,just think if Hitler's/Saddam's mums were able to use them!!!;D;)

Poodroo
01-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Be carefull with that stuff.
All it takes is one stray strand of wire either missed with the goo or sticking out when you put the goo on and your up the poo creek.
It also cracks after a while unless they fixed that little problem.
Resin filled heatshrink is the go to protect any soldered joins in wire and a bit of lanolin grease or similar (there are specialty pastes you can buy and use but Lanolin grease works pretty good) on terminals (ie switches, fuses, fuse blades etc) and no problems.

You can get terminals like spade lugs in stainless. You just have to find them. I used a lot of 6mm female spade terminals fixing stoves in a previous life.
They're not worth it for marine use because of the dissimilar metals bit. More trouble then they're worth and they can only be crimped not soldered as well.

That stuff Poo is describing is good though for tidying up end of spliced ropes and the such though. :)
Where did you get it Andrew as Lucky Phil was after some I think.

Scott I just basically soldered the wire ends into the terminal connectors which go onto the battery terminals. I coated inside the terminal connectors with the liquid tape. I think it will make those connections last a lot longer than if I didn't use it.
I will give Phill a PM to see if he wants to know where I got it because I am not sure that AF condones mentioning company names on here.

Cheers,

Poodroo

Spaniard_King
01-05-2007, 07:52 PM
where can you get this stuff from

Garry

Poodroo
01-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Product of the year,whoops-century,Love-em,
condoms,Saves a lot of hassles,just think if Hitler's/Saddam's mums were able to use them!!!;D;)

Good one akman. Perhaps I should have stipulated products to do with "boating." Actually was the reason I posted in the boating section. Condoms are however a good intvention but kind of unrelated to fishing etc. :P

Poodroo

Scalem
01-05-2007, 08:31 PM
I'll definitely take a dab of yours Poodroo, there's some really suspect wires that need covering.....

I discovered one this week that I was that impressed with, I bought two:o

1st the price $9.95. Now the application - How often do you find you need some light in the car or boat and grab the torch in the glove box, only to find that the batteries are dead and often have leaked, causing internal corrosion within the torch?

This product is simple by design. Inside the torch is a magnet that passes through a coil which generates electricity. Only a small amount of current is generated by shaking it, and the light is a single L.E.D and is not the most powerful light you'll find, but bright enough to get you out of trouble, and tie a line when fishing at night. NO BATTERIES REQUIRED!! EVER!!!

I am told that the light will last about 15 mins for around ten seconds of shaking it. I believe it, I used it in the boat last night to install a new fuel filter which was the original reason I was shopping - for a new fuel filter.

I'll be back to get another one or two, because I told a mate about it, and he has claimed the one I bought for the boat, the other was for the car.

The photo of the torch in my hand shows the silver magnet inside, closest to the end, and the coil it passes through which is obviously the copper colour you see up further. The magnet slides inside the chamber of the torch and has a rubber stopper at either end of the chamber which dampens the end of the magnets' travel, bouncing it back the other way. Brilliant!!

Scalem

dogsbody
01-05-2007, 08:36 PM
I have used a similar product that i got from whitworths a lesson learned from my first boat. Now all connections are in 1 waterproof box where switches are mounted with liquid elec tape for added protection.

If all else fails this is my product of the last 2 decades.

Dave.

Poodroo
01-05-2007, 08:40 PM
I'll definitely take a dab of yours Poodroo, there's some really suspect wires that need covering.....

I discovered one this week that I was that impressed with, I bought two:o

1st the price $9.95. Now the application - How often do you find you need some light in the car or boat and grab the torch in the glove box, only to find that the batteries are dead and often have leaked, causing internal corrosion within the torch?

This product is simple by design. Inside the torch is a magnet that passes through a coil which generates electricity. Only a small amount of current is generated by shaking it, and the light is a single L.E.D and is not the most powerful light you'll find, but bright enough to get you out of trouble, and tie a line when fishing at night. NO BATTERIES REQUIRED!! EVER!!!

I am told that the light will last about 15 mins for around ten seconds of shaking it. I believe it, I used it in the boat last night to install a new fuel filter which was the original reason I was shopping - for a new fuel filter.

I'll be back to get another one or two, because I told a mate about it, and he has claimed the one I bought for the boat, the other was for the car.

The photo of the torch in my hand shows the silver magnet inside, closest to the end, and the coil it passes through which is obviously the copper colour you see up further. The magnet slides inside the chamber of the torch and has a rubber stopper at either end of the chamber which dampens the end of the magnets' travel, bouncing it back the other way. Brilliant!!

Scalem

Thanks for sharing Scalem. Better put my name on one of those too. ;D

Poodroo

murf
01-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Good one akman. Perhaps I should have stipulated products to do with "boating." Actually was the reason I posted in the boating section. Condoms are however a good intvention but kind of unrelated to fishing etc. :P

Poodroo

mate they make good bio degradable floats for mackerel,;D ask Brett1907

Cheers Murf