PDA

View Full Version : Wich tinnie hull design Traditional or Vee nosed

Nine Lives
30-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi all I am wanting 2 buy a new boat.

I am looking at about 4.5 metre open tinnie with casting decks & around a 40 hp tiller.I will be spending a lot of time in the esturies with some tube towing for the kids thrown in.The question is will a Vee nosed style hull such as Stessco Kakado Karrier be ok if i want to shoot out to mud or maybe if a good day tangalooma from redcliffe.

any ideas would be appreciated.

cheers Brian

dogsbody
30-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Stay away from a v-nose if you intend to go in the bay you'll be pounded and your kidneys will not like it. Thats the reason i sold mine and went with the standard tinnie. V-nose are great in calm waters but absolutely no place for them in a chop.

Dave.

Luc
30-04-2007, 09:23 PM
If you're going to do regular trips in the bay, definitely go for the traditional tinny.

Luc

scungey
30-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Neither...go the millenium hull. At the size you are talking about you can get the millenium hull and flared bow in the Quinnie Topender. I have a 460 with Yammie 60 4stroke. I can use it inland, it doesn't draw too much water so I can go crabbing and yet I can still shoot offshore....and it's bloody close to as stable as a wide bodied punt.

Blackened
01-05-2007, 08:11 AM
G'day

Like above stated, if you intend ANY open water work.... stay with a traditional V hull tinny

Dave

STUIE63
01-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Nine lives have a serious think about a bit bigger motor I had a 4.5m tinny with a 40 on it I thought it went alright until I put a 60 on it . Complete different boat to drive and the bonus was i used half the fuel because i wasn't revving the ring out of it. The extra gee gees will make it a lot easier for watersports as well
Stuie

Nine Lives
03-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys ,

I have found a good boat with all the extras but is vee nose guess I just have to way up how much bay work i will actually do.
Buy the way it has a fifty on it thanks for the engine advise.

cheers BRIAN.