PDA

View Full Version : New Sea Jay or Stessco

whatscracken
30-04-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm looking at buying a new tinnie. out of all the tinnies I have looked at I am swinging towards either a stessco or a sea jay. The size I'm after is around the 4.5m. Anyone recommend one over the other. It will be powered by a yamaha of course;)

jerson
30-04-2007, 06:12 PM
I've got a seajay, 2 years old now.
Very happy.

Jerson

Foxy4
30-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Did some research and the SeaJay would seem to be the way to go.

bushbeachboy
30-04-2007, 07:13 PM
I had a Sea Jay once. It was a good boat, but not even close to the Polycraft.

nigelr
30-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Have had a Stessco Catcher for 3 years, very happy, no dramas, cracked welds, etc.
Cheers.

Jamaryiz
30-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Mate, I've got a bigger SeaJay at 6m but am very happy with it. I've also got a 4 stroke Yamaha on the back and it seems to be a real solid combination. Excellent fuel economy and a safe boat that always get me home.

Good luck.

seajay535
30-04-2007, 08:45 PM
I had a stessco squire for a few years top little boat but i have found the seajay a much better boat

rooney
30-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Howdy, I currently own a SeaJay 4.3mtr matched with a yamaha 30 ( 2-stroke ). This rig gets me to various spots in the bay such as the rouse, peel, rainbow channel and mud. Being of a smaller size boat i tend to watch the weather rather closely but on the odd ocassion have been caught out in 20knts. Your allways going to get a soaking in these conditions but the ride is not all that bad. As for the build of the boat i am yet to complain about anything. The welds are full lenght along the wider side decks, the painted hull is handling the abuse well. With 2 blokes, 50ltrs of fuel, esky, rods and all gear onboard there is enough room to fish in comfort. For the price and features i found the sea jay to be on top when i made my purchase. Happy boat hunting.

trev1
30-04-2007, 09:04 PM
I had a look at a stessco on a dealers floor once (6 weeks ago)- nice shaped hull for a tinnie. I counted 13 welds cracked on that tinnie including 4 in and around the engine mounting pad and thats without getting inside the boat. According to the salesman, Stessco weren't interested in doing anything to fix the welds or the boat and he has ended up with an expensive prop for eskies and boating accessories because he wont sell it either.

Luc
30-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Go the SeaJay, I've had a pointy punt 25/4 yammy for 4 years and can't complain.

Built like the provebial brick s...t house.

Hoping to upgrade to a 4.3 magnum in the next year or so.

Luc

Big_unit
30-04-2007, 09:10 PM
I compared Stessco & Seajay hulls myself recently, chalk & cheese in my opinion.

I now own a Seajay Nomad, once again powered by a Yamaha 4 stroke.

Also very willing to give a plug to Ron Glass Marine In Bundaberg 4151 3764, top blokes & top service. They are a squillion miles in front of other local Seajay / Yamaha dealers.

Cheers
James

Luc
30-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Big_unit, have to agree with you.

A mate of mine was in the market for 2 4.15 Magnums and even with the cost of driving from Brisbane to Bundy & back, he got a better deal than the local dealer.

Luc

ellykan
30-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi All Ive Owned A 4.1 Metre Stessco 4.55 Metre Stcacer And Now A 4.35 Seajay Sp. Both The Stessco And Stacer Where Open Tiller Steer Boats With Two Cross Thrawt Seats. Had The Stessco For Two Years, Took It Back To The Factory To Have Split Welds Rewelded And The Front Ribs Knocked Back Down, A Great Shaped Deep Sided Beamy Boat For Its Size, Just Not Built Stong Enough For Bay Chop. The Stacer Was Built Like A Tank, Great Boat Go All Over The Bay In Reasonable Weather. The Sea Jay Has 2 Moveable Pedestle Seats, Makes For A Heap More Useable Room In The Boat, With A 40 Hp Tohatsu On The Back, It Has Small Side Decks, In My Opinion I Think It Stiffens Up The Whole Hull. All In All The Seajay Is The Stongest Boat With A Reasonable Ride

Flex
30-04-2007, 10:57 PM
The Seajay is a much better put together boat. If you are looking for a boat around the 4.5 meter mark. Take my advice and get the 4.55 seajay hull. Its a far superior hull design than the 4.3 model they do.

Its has a better center of gravity, a finer bow entry and best of all it has reverse chines. which all add up to a much better ride than the 4.3 model.
Dont get me wrong, the 4.3 is still a sweet boat.

But if you have the option the 4.55 hull is far superior. IMO you'd be hard pressed to find a better designed hull for that boat size. The reverse chines make a big difference.

added to that as Ellykan said the open design of the seajay with pedestals seats is awsome

whatscracken
01-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Plenty of support for the sea jay's I reckon the 4.55 magnum will most likely be the pick. i had a close look at them at the tinnie and tackle show and they are a well thought out design which is also built tough. Thanks for the feedback:)

Flex
01-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Get the SP model. the pedalstal seats are well worth it.

mariner_22
01-05-2007, 05:39 PM
I had a stessco catcher for a few years great boat and never had a problem it was a great boat with plenty of fishing room and could really handle the chop

Mick King
01-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Have ordered a 5 Metre Sea Jay sports haven. Looked around for a long time at alternatives and just kept going back to the sea jay. Very well built boat and Colin and his ppl are very down to earth ppl. Would recomend there product to any one. Just my opinion Mick:)

PWCDad
02-05-2007, 06:53 AM
I recently took delivery on this SeaJay 5.0 Haven (80hp 4Stroke Yamaha) and could not be happier with the boat and its finish.

It has the Ultimate Edge design being a recent model and rides very well for an aluminium hull ... I thought it would be much harsher in chop !

Only have 8 hrs so far ... still doing prop trials and maybe one hole up on motor. Going camping in it this weekend so will do more when time allows.

Have fitted a VHF ... Furuno sounder still to go in (with trans splash guard) and a chart plotter. Larger bilge pump with float switch to go in as well.

Regards
PWCDad

Bin455
02-05-2007, 09:55 AM
I got my 4.55 Haven Sport at the end of January, its powered by a 50hp Honda. I looked around at all types of similar boats like the Stacer, Allycraft etc. I will be honest and say I was going to buy the stacer, walked into the dealer in Darwin with the cash and all. But the dealer was thousands above the price from southern dealers for the same boat and told me to take it or leave it, I now own a Seajay and cant believe how lucky I am. He realy did me a favour buy being a tight ass, the Seajay has a full transom not a splashwell and IMO you get more for your money. While i was happy with the Stacer I can honestly say that if I looked at the Seajay first I would have had my boat earlier. The build quality and attention to detail is fantastic in a Seajay, and comparing dollars I got more features for the same money i was going to spend on the same size Stacer. My brother owned a Seajay up on Thursday Island a few years ago and believe me a boat has to be tough to survive up there.

Bin455

oddbudman
02-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Nice looking boat that one PWCDad.

I've got a Seajay Escape 455 with a 50hp 4st yammy. Its a very nice boat. Feels very stable at speed and the hull feels very strong. As others have said, having side decks probably improves the stiffness.

Go the pedestal seats if you can afford it as it makes the boat that bit more enjoyable.

oddbudman

Big_unit
02-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Looks like Sea Jay have it won, hands down in this thread.

Cheers
James

Lancair
21-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi,
I know Im dragging up an old post here. BUT Ive got to go into bat for the Catcher. I read about all these problems with Stessco boats during my search and found all were on boats boats built pre 2005. After test driving one with an Etec 40 and being very impressed with its ride compared to the Quintrex Dory 420 w/yamaha 40 4st. And then closley inspecting a few other new boats, for weld quality, sure some welds arent the prettiest but they are full depth and solid. There was a bit of splatter and weld dags left behind but for the price difference with the Quinny, I lived with it. So I ordered one.
A std catcher with the side decks and chequer plate foredeck of the RV version. I put an Etec 40 Tiller on the back end and have had ali casting decks made forward and aft. This month Ive had it for 1 yr, clocked up about 100 hrs motor time, in a variety of conditions from glassy rivers to wind (very windy 30kts +) against tide in southern moreton bay to 6 mile offshore fishing. Not a single complaint, built tough as a tank, its surprised many people with it rough water ride. BUT ITS STILL A TINNY.

Lancair

BOMBIE
21-05-2008, 11:44 PM
HI whatcraken dont need to say much more than whats been said check out stessco quality ?? DONT touch them !now have no dealers from brisbane to mackay !!!BOMBIE

moater
22-05-2008, 12:53 AM
Sadly I'm considering selling my brand new Sea Jay Magnum 4.55 to downsize and have some extra $ to buy another car.It's got a new Tohatsu 40 ELPTO and on a new Dunbier loader trailer.Been in the slow process of putting a centre console in it and I've got all the cables and helm,just gotta fit the console.The whole lot is under warranty of course as I took delivery of the boat on 24/7/07 (my birthday).Haven't even registered it.Ah well...

Darren

tin can marlin
22-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Have you looked at the sea scape they are aproduct on the move made by tabs and great value.

plaztix
22-05-2008, 10:18 PM
I looked at all the usuals and ended up going with the seajay sp. Firstly because of the build quality and secondly because of the room that the SP's have. To get a similar setup in the other brands your looking at an extra $3000 at least.

Its only the 4.15 but the full flat floor and pedestal seats make a big difference and it feels more like a 4.5m conventionally configured tinnie.

johnny roger
22-05-2008, 11:13 PM
I got my 4.55 Haven Sport at the end of January, its powered by a 50hp Honda. I looked around at all types of similar boats like the Stacer, Allycraft etc. I will be honest and say I was going to buy the stacer, walked into the dealer in Darwin with the cash and all. But the dealer was thousands above the price from southern dealers for the same boat and told me to take it or leave it, I now own a Seajay and cant believe how lucky I am. He realy did me a favour buy being a tight ass, the Seajay has a full transom not a splashwell and IMO you get more for your money. While i was happy with the Stacer I can honestly say that if I looked at the Seajay first I would have had my boat earlier. The build quality and attention to detail is fantastic in a Seajay, and comparing dollars I got more features for the same money i was going to spend on the same size Stacer. My brother owned a Seajay up on Thursday Island a few years ago and believe me a boat has to be tough to survive up there.

Bin455
Bin,
what type of Stacer did you nearly buy?
John