PDA

View Full Version : what rod for a sedona se 2500fb

webster
29-04-2007, 06:51 PM
i have purchased another shimano sedona after being thrilled with my 4500 purchase 15 fishing trips ago.and its still like new.
but this time the 2500
.i am a cheaper end of the market guy but for under $100 for a reel that i find more then enough that i need to spend.
i have the bigger costly gear for outside.

what i would like to know is what length of rod would suit this.
again i am a brand name person, only liking to put on a shimano rod under $120 or preferrably an ugly stik.

outfit will be mostly used for the estuaries,boat and land based.

but also outside fishing for a bit of fun.on 6 pound.

poppers81
29-04-2007, 07:11 PM
depends on the work you want to do with it but the raiders series rods are hard to pass.. if you shop around a bit you can get them for under $100 big as well. had mine two years and still going strong....good luck regards poppers!

webster
29-04-2007, 07:30 PM
ok ill try and get down to a shop to have a look ,unfortunately big w is the only place within an hour of here to buy gear.
even then they dont stock them.
they do stock ugly stiks but most of the time they have been hammered by someone, before theyve hit the water.

webster
29-04-2007, 07:32 PM
what length are you using.

ill mostly use this outfit for esturies.
but ill definately want to have some fun with some larger specimens outside and the occasional freshwater(but ive got a few rods already at home for the fresh)

poppers81
29-04-2007, 08:06 PM
the rod i am using is 7 2" bream raider rod.....wouldn't mind a rack raider which is 7FT and has a little more guts..i am actually mgr with the Big W... the et series rods are okay but for the extra $50 i would go a raider..where u based at ..##### has the raider rods cheap and may even be $99 at moment..also have seen them on the internet for $119 delivered at a tackle site.. would you want one piece of two piece... mine is two.

webster
29-04-2007, 08:47 PM
i would rather a one peice for strength,but its hard sometimes to get the rod inside the car without damage on long trips.

i am near bowral in the southern highlands of n.s.w

i didnt get the place that you told me for $99 it come up as ####

i may go a 7ft as i would rather a bit of guts,whick is why i like the ugly stik .the tip is the first thing that bends then the clear section then the power after that.
i will look at the raider though.

sleepygreg
29-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Webster,

Take a 45 minute drive north to campbelltown and visit campbelltown fishing scene - john will have ALL the rods you have mentioned and then some - and at good prices.

Greg

Hamish73
30-04-2007, 06:48 AM
we have a shimano sonic pro 702 2-4kg matched to a sedona 2500 and it feels good. Used mainly for platics

yellahunter
30-04-2007, 09:17 AM
i matched my sedona 2500 with a 7.0ft catana 2 piece
i also have a raider 6.8ft which normally houses a sol 2500,
however ive tried the sedona on both and have to say that it matched the catana better than the raider.

The sol/raider combo is better hands down however the catana just seems to suit the heavier sedona better, i know it sounds silly but dont discount getting a cheaper rod,

i know the catana 7.0ft matches up perfect with the sedona.

good luck mate,

Ben

LostNearBribie
30-04-2007, 06:18 PM
I have a Sedona 2500 on a Catana 7ft 2pce also.
I bought it for my better half, so she would come fishing with me.
But after a mishap with my usual outfit, I now use it.
I caught a 55cm flatty and my first Jack on it Saturday.
Handled it all easy.
Lovely outfit for $150 all up.

PS. I have seen two kinds of Catana Rods. One haa a graphite look and it's the good one.
The other has a more "Glassy/Glossy" look and is not as good.

webster
30-04-2007, 09:17 PM
hi.
i used to go there a fair bit a fair few years ago and i found they were expensive,maybe theyve changed.
so rod and reel for $150.
do you find the two piece ok,i have heaps of two piece rods but the last few rods have been one peice.
i just this time want a perfectly matched rod as prob. in the latter part of the year we will hopefully be moving to nowra and the shoalhaven river.
as well as land based marlin around currawong, and the banks.
mostly use hard bodied lures as i can feel the lure working(mental thing).

it seems that everyone likes around a 7 ft rod and all the web sites match up with around 2-5 kg.

what line are you using.

webster
30-04-2007, 09:23 PM
doesnt sound stupid at all.
the problem that im sure all of us has is that all of our mrs's arent keen on us buying fishing gear and mostly spend our money on hair products and such.

what line are you running with the catana/sedona outfit.

Blackened
01-05-2007, 07:50 AM
G'day

Just to throw a little extra in...

For my plastics fishing I run a 2500 sedona with rear drag matched to a live fibre lightning. The rod is 7', 2-4kg. Total pric would have been about $170 for me. They retail for about $220.

I run 8lb fireline on the reel and 10lb vanish backing and leder.

Dave

yellahunter
01-05-2007, 10:59 AM
my catana is a 2piece 7ft 2-4kg (i think) and it is the graphite one,
no glass in mine

I run 8lb fireline on it and have pulled bass, bream, trevs, cod, jacks, snapper, etc all no dramas, A great little combo for the $$

webster
01-05-2007, 04:11 PM
thanks everyone for your input i will hopefully be able to go to a tackle shop soon to check all these out.
ill let yous know how i go.