PDA

View Full Version : S P Questions

juju
29-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Ok So i gave in and bought some SP's, and decided thaton friday that would be all id use...(gulp 3inch pumpkin sead mullets)...we drifet and had some time on the pick...when casting should i cast the same way as if i were useing bait?.....question 2 ...i went through most of a packet, because i kept getting the tails bitten off---is this the norm or something i was doing wrong?......

brooker1
29-04-2007, 12:16 PM
how u goin mate sounds like u were doin mosstly the right thing , when im drifting with plastics i usually watch the sounder depth throw out in front off the boat same as the water depth and count 1 sec for every metre trying not to let it get right to the bottom ,, lots a little jigs up .... try that matey....?
;D

marty+jojo
29-04-2007, 05:42 PM
The key to fishing soft plastics is to fish as light as possible to suit the conditions. Example i use 6 pound fireline connected to a 12 pound flurocarbon leader when chasing snapper, this has landed me two snapper @ 5kg and lots of smaller fish. The best way i have found is to suss out what direction you are drifting and then cast as far ahead of the boat as you can, then slowly wind your slack line up whilst allways keeping enough tension on your line to detect a hit, this is why the majority of people fishing sp's use a fluro line- sometimes you don't even feel a hit you just see your line jutt tight, if you do strike. When your plastic hits the bottom you will see your line go slack, then i just give it a short sharp lift, enough to bring ya lure up about a metre off the bottom. It is jig,jig let it sink wind up slack watch line for a hit jig,jig,jig wind etc. If you do this whilst using a graphite rod, light braid,light leader a correctly set smooth drag there is no reason why you won't get some good fish.
I hope this is some help to you.
Marty.

shaman
29-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Sounds too much like hard work to me.................
Plus, how can you do all that and drink a beer at the same time??? Sheesh......