PDA

View Full Version : What to do if you get hooked

snasman
28-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Hi all can any one please explain to me the method of how to get a hook out of yourself if nowhere near a medical facility I've heard of the line over the treble ,push down on the eye trick, and wish to know what to do if that unfortunate day ever arrises and I find myself or others badly stuck.

Cheer Snas :P

samson
28-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Pull out with plyers after all its only flesh you'll patch up later good as new, but make sure you do it quick the longer you leave it the more it hurts just rip the mother out.

imnotoriginal
28-04-2007, 07:41 PM
The line round the hook trick isn't for deep wounds, nor would i recommend it for trebles. I'd use pliers to cut the hooks off the lure and then get yourself to a medical facility and let them do the tricky work. If it's only shallow, press down on the eye of the hook, wrap some line around the bend of the hook and pull quickly in the opposite direction the hook entered. I'd recommend telling them you'll do it on the count of three, then do it at 1, so they don't squirm or pull away.:)
Joel

banshee
28-04-2007, 08:04 PM
If they're smallish thin guage hooks in soft flesh push them through then crush the barb down if you cant cut it off and reverse it out,have done it twice now and there is virtualy no pain till the hook starts to come through the skin again,wouldn't try it with large hooks or hooks buried into dangerous areas.

snasman
28-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys ,my skin crawled reading about some of those options.

imnotoriginal
28-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Once you've done it once it's easy. Just tell them you've done it plenty of times before you do it, then tell them it's your first time after. Worked for me (should have seen the look on my mate's face)
Joel

roz
28-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Mine needed hospital treatment. Every situation is different and of course depends on where the hook is imbedded, if it's on the face or near your eyes, leave it for an expert.

If it's a fleshy part, perhaps an arm or leg and the hook is very sharp, pushing through is a good option. My local pharmacist who happens to be an avid fisho gave me a sterile scaple and some anaesthetic cream, but warned me to use only if we were a long way from medical help.

would also pay to up date your tetnus shots if you feel you may be at risk.

craig51063
29-04-2007, 01:55 AM
banshee is right this is the way to do it .
i had to do it on a mate of mine .fly fishing down the snowy , i hooked him in the mouth on a back cast.i laughed for a good 10 minutes then used this method to remove the fly that was embededin his lip , a lot of blood though . [ true story ] i lay claim to the biggest catch of the day [ 75 kgs ] lololol

Mr__Bean
29-04-2007, 06:00 AM
After reading the page on the link below I went out and bought a pair of sidecutters that I keep in the first aid kit just for this purpose. I also printed the info and keep it in the first aid kit.

Have a look here: http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010601/2231.html

- Darren

nigelr
29-04-2007, 06:28 AM
Great link, Mr Bean, thanks!
Excellent topic Snasman, one that we can all relate to, no doubt!
A scalpel blade and some local anaesthetic can be very handy................!
Cheers!

slyman
29-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Scalpels and local... ahh the benefits of working in a hospital. But dont forget to disinfect the area before and afterwards, bleeding is good, promoting a bit of blood flow helps "flush out" a wound, as well as bringing platelets and white blood cells to the wound for healing. Still, I wouldn't be going DIY unless I knew what I was doing, and if I ever have to, I'd still be visiting a doctor when I got home.

simon

seabug
29-04-2007, 01:44 PM
After reading the page on the link below I went out and bought a pair of sidecutters that I keep in the first aid kit just for this purpose. I also printed the info and keep it in the first aid kit.

Have a look here: http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010601/2231.html

- Darren

Hi Mr_Bean,
A few years back I was at a clinic in NT and a chap came in with a treble caught in his finger.
The clinic boltcutters had gone walkabout (literaly)so they tried 6 inch sidecutters
The hook was harder than the cutters.
Ended up getting a pair of sidecutters that I had in my vehicle.Luckily they did the job.

Suggest you try yours on the hardest hooks you use, just to be sure.

Regards
seabug.

weipa girl
29-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Hm reminds me of a time spent at janie creek off the beach of mapoon (weipa area) a local guy that worked in the mines had a huge hook went through his thumb one of the guys from the campsite had to cut it with some sort of cutters it was a gruesome site , still havent forgotten that trip.

griz066
29-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Like this you mean::)

3rd degree
29-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Ouch, nice hook selection griz!

Cheers

Jim

gunnabuild1
29-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Yeah seconds on thanks for the link Mr Bean.Hope to never use it but better to be prepared.

jez and suze
30-04-2007, 06:01 AM
Like this you mean::)

that would be an easier one just cut the end off

jez and suze
30-04-2007, 06:03 AM
last wednesday dad had to get a treble removed so we went to hospital to have it done.....in the end they just used the string and pull method.....i could have done it myself!

Full2thebream
30-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Hey guys i got a treble through my finger on our house boat trip this year. we were cruising in the house boat and me and anouther guy were keen for some fishing so we untied the tinny grabbed a rod each and a couple of lures.. we left in a hurry and were thinking bout the fish and not the takle box.. i hooked into a yella that went 6 pound got him in the boat and looked for pliers but wernt there so holding onto lure i tried to get the hook out of his mouth but was i did he flicked his head a i wore a hookk in my finger.. with the hook stiil in me and the fish we had to catch the house boat and get some pliers with each time the fish moving the hook twisting more.. we cut the hook off rang the house boat company tnd meet then along the river in the ski boat and got a lift to hospital. the had to push it through cut off barb then pull back.. the doc said they were gettin on a week at that stage.. reconed mine was the hardest he had to get out.. i belive him cos hell it hurt.. moral of the story dont forget the pliers

whiteman
30-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Had to take my youngest to emergency last night with a treble embedded in his fingers. At least he got the barra! Would have made a great photo.

weipa girl
30-04-2007, 07:03 PM
:o youch yeah sorta like dat but worse will see if i can find the pic some place and post it cheers