PDA

View Full Version : Fishing for the sake of just fishing

juju
28-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Caught caught up today with a debate over why i go fishing when i dont eat fish, he couldnt get his head around the idea of just going fishing for the sake of fishing itself, getting away and switching off for a few hours...
So i like some support, who else has "wasted" a heap of money on a boat for no practile reason....

HIGH and DRY
28-04-2007, 05:49 PM
i get bemused looks when i tell people i don't eat fish, but spend most of my spare time in a boat trying to catch as many as i can!!! i have heaps of mates that have put orders in for fish though, so nothing is killed for the sake of it!!!

i think its the fun factor and trying to out do myself with new statagies etc!!:D

bushbeachboy
28-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Me. Heaps just for the sake of it. And you're right, they don't understand, usually just make stupid statements about it being cheaper to buy fish.

thirsty merc
28-04-2007, 09:45 PM
I,m the same juju, i dont eat any seafood at all . Other people spend money on hobbies, so why should.nt we spend it on fishing . I have spent thousands on boats over the years , and my wife tells me to as well ;D . It,s getting out on the water relaxing and the anticipation and excitement of hooking into something thats does it for me ............thirsty.

TimD
28-04-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm the same,I dont like eating fish but i love catching them and will continue to spend thousands on rods,reels and everything else associated with fishing.

cheers tim :thumbsup:

Flex
29-04-2007, 02:44 AM
I find the people who dont understand fishing for the sake of fishing are the very same people who consider catching and keeping 400 fish for the day a good day, and spend the next 6 months trying to give it away to everyone

Instead of throwing back what you dont eat

chief
29-04-2007, 05:11 AM
Well i have a wife who eats fish and salads every meal time. Me i hate fishing,wouldn't go if she didn't have the whip out. No. i might go a few times?;D

saphire
29-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Dont worry about people who just dont get it. Lucky there are not many of them around. Most of the people I know say they are either going fishing or boating. In reality though they are just going out for a good time.

kingtin
29-04-2007, 07:31 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_9_10.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

I hate fishing and I hate boating. What I really like is talking online and making new friends. I found this fishing site with heaps of members who seemed really chatty, so I bought a boat and started fishing so that I could have something to talk about................I've not shut up since.

;D

kev

"] ("http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&p=ZNfox000[/IMG)

saphire
29-04-2007, 07:39 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_9_10.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

I hate fishing and I hate boating. What I really like is talking online and making new friends. I found this fishing site with heaps of members who seemed really chatty, so I bought a boat and started fishing so that I could have something to talk about................I've not shut up since.

;D

kev

LOL.... Good on you Kev.

Chris Ryan
29-04-2007, 07:54 AM
My wife and I don't eat seafood as we are allergic to it. We do however love fishing and the Minister for Finance (with her Gladiator pink rod and reel combo) regularly outfishes me. Now she is talking about pelagics etc.....scaring the crap outta me for someone who couldnt stand the thought of touching a prawn at one stage!! LOL

The only time we keep any is when Mum & Dad come up from Sydney so we give a feed of fresh fish during their stay. Otherwise, catch 'em, pic, release.

Puff

mudskipper
29-04-2007, 08:02 AM
mate the same people are the ones who take a game of golf very seriously, come home all wound up and can't wait to go out and do it all again. seems kingtin's got the right idea.. i could even save some bucks by deregistering the boat and trailer ...see this websites just choc full of great ideas.

bootyinblue
29-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Its a good job I dont eat a lot of fish.... as if my last few performances when out fishing are anything to go by, I would be getting rather hungry by now.

But I love to be out, sitting on the side of the boat, line in the water, refreshment in my hand and just talking s@#t with a fishing partner. That is enough to justify the expense I feel.....

Why-ting
29-04-2007, 05:04 PM
People think im stupid when i tell them that i fish 3-4 times a week and release everything i catch. I must have well over 30 Gs worth of gear and people flip out when they see it all and find out i dont eat seafood. Just love being out there and being challenged every time i fish. Wish i could be out there every day.

Ausfish
29-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Going fishing to me is what it is all about. I rarely eat fish, unless it is at the local Sushi Train. I just love to go fishing/boating and have some time out.

Some people though just don't get it.

PinHead
29-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Going fishing to me is what it is all about. I rarely eat fish, unless it is at the local Sushi Train. I just love to go fishing/boating and have some time out.

Some people though just don't get it.

Get what? I don't know what u r talking about.

But..I do know somewhere that has quite tasty barra spring rolls.

Poodroo
29-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Well after reading this thread and all the replies I have come to realize just how many people release what they catch so now I don't have to feel anywhere near as guilty about bagging out (if only that was the case all the time)and bringing a feed home. I'll just look at it as eating your share. ;D I love my fish to eat. ;)

Cheers,

Poodroo

PinHead
29-04-2007, 05:59 PM
I must add...I do have a problem getting motivated to fish.

darryl13
29-04-2007, 06:05 PM
go fishing is great and catching a fish is a bonus well thats what i use to say until i got hit with the soft plastics craze. now it just an excuse to buy more rods reels and fishing gear. i have become a soft plastics junkie please help me.

ps. i also catch fish everytime i go fishing now which makes it so much better hahaha

Dunks
30-04-2007, 11:49 PM
I know how you feel. People look at me with blank faces when I say I don't eat fish but love fishing.

I explain it to them like this,

Why do people ride bikes? All they do is ride somewhere and then turn around and come back!! What's the point.

Why do people race cars? They just go round and round in circles and get nowhere!!!

Why do some people drive BMW's and others Hyundai's when they do the same job, get you from A to B???

Because they want to and can afford to.

Most people have hobbies that they do for no reason but to get enjoyment, fishing is my hobby and the more fish I release the more I will catch in theory.