PDA

View Full Version : Bar Crossing Newbie

Chris Ryan
28-04-2007, 08:25 AM
Hi guys,

I have never crossed a bar and am itching to try my luck outside. I have a good 18' half cabin - solid fibreglass boat so does handle a bashing. Is there any courses or recommended discussion points you can send me to. I would prefer to do some work with an experienced hand before venturing out. I would probably look to cross out at the Gold Coast Seaway as it looks to be one of the "safer" bars in the southern area.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Cheers,
Puff

blaze
28-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Hi Puff
Bill cortins bar crossing course, about $300 or there abouts is money well spent from what I have read on these forums.
cheers
blaze

Scalem
28-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Gidday Puff!

I am certain that many AF members will be able to give good advice here, and would welcome a tag along when they head out, just while you have your "trainer wheels" on. Pick up the latest edition of Bush 'N Beach newspaper and you will find Bill Corten who runs bar crossing courses.

My little tug has been out through the seaway several times without a problem, but the best days are winter westerly winds when it's flat.

Another great option is Mooloolaba, which is sheltered because of the direction of the rocky headland, protecting you from the swell. There is reef straight out in front by only a few K's, you have Caloudra grounds closeby and old woman island is well within range where you catch snapper and fish allsorts. - A Comfortable distance if you think conditions get unfavourable. Lots of options open to you untill you get your confidence;)

Scalem

bluefin59
28-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Hi puff youre right the seaway is probably one of the best to cross but it can get ugly on an outgoing tide if your dubious of your boating skills Bill Corten runs a coarse in bar crossing i think from memory its $500 good value considering how much your life and boat are worth you will find his number in either B&B or QFM maybe someone on site has the link ..........8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

honda900
28-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Bluefin,

I have just done Bill Cortens bar crossing course, was $400.00 but worth every cent. It is the confidence you get from doing the course and I also found that I am handling my own boat far more confidently, just knowing that what needs to be done when the sea gets ugly.

Regards
Honda

Searaider 2
28-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Geday Puff ,
I did a course with Bill a couple of years ago & would highly recommend it .:thumbsup:
He insures that you get an idea of how to handle all types of bar conditions that you may come across . :o :) ;D

The Training was in 2 sessions , 1 x nights theory & then a full day hands on training in his boat on the South Passage bar . ( 6.25 Cruise Craft ) .

At the time he took a max of 4 people out on the boat , 3 training & himself .

His Contact details are :-
Bill Corten
Ph 3286363647
reel_affair@yahoo.com

If your talking to him , say geday from me ( alias Pearlie Pete )

Chris Ryan
30-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks Lads. I did see Bills article in the latest B&B mag (after buying it yesterday!). $400 for the life of loved ones and protection and confidence to do this is peanuts.

I appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Puff :D

marco
30-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Geday Puff ,
I did a course with Bill a couple of years ago & would highly recommend it .:thumbsup:
He insures that you get an idea of how to handle all types of bar conditions that you may come across . :o :) ;D

The Training was in 2 sessions , 1 x nights theory & then a full day hands on training in his boat on the South Passage bar . ( 6.25 Cruise Craft ) .

At the time he took a max of 4 people out on the boat , 3 training & himself .

His Contact details are :-
Bill Corten
Ph 3286363647
reel_affair@yahoo.com

If your talking to him , say geday from me ( alias Pearlie Pete )

Peter , bill does the course in one session now all on the water , i believe he excells in how he explains things and his knowledge is outstanding . very well worth the dollars and a bloody good day out and he will have the new boat soon which will be better again i would think .
cheers
mark