PDA

View Full Version : auxillary size

harlequin
27-04-2007, 08:45 PM
need to get an auxillary motor is there a recommended size was looking at 10-15 hp extra weight might be an issue? boat is 5m plate ally cc with 90hp yam 2st hull weight approx 750kg i think it is rated to115 hp think a 9.9hp yam would be ok as aux. thanx andy

blu
27-04-2007, 08:51 PM
why do you need one don't you trust ya donk????

FNQCairns
27-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Yeah 9.9 will do fine although you do need to get all of the engines max rpms to the prop or it will not hold the boat very well against tide/wind/swell when it is needed, so a change from the prop that comes with it to a more houseboat pitched prop is madatory.

If you stick with the original prop it might only at best ever deliver 6hp or 7hp of it's 9.9 hp of trust to the water for moving the boat.

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
27-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Thats a good point blu is making.
Why have an extra motor to lug around. Can't say in me 40 odd years of boating I have ever needed a kicker. Which is just as well I guess, otherwise I may not still be here.

If your motor runs sweet, well maintained, fresh fuel, water seperator, Oil injection working. Good fully charged battery, a few spares and basic tools with a bit of knowledge about your rig. Nothing should go wrong, if it does you have radio, flares, Pfd's and a mobile.

Not saying I have never broken down, hell that use to happen on every trip but that was with my 2 old inboards.

These out board motors now days don't cut out completely, think you can still pretty much limp home in most cases.

2iar
27-04-2007, 09:16 PM
I'll pipe in and say I know very little about auxilliaries.

BUT...

Yamaha 9.9 weighs the same as a 15, and the 15 is often cheaper than a 9.9. Might also be the case for other brands...ring around. More horses for less dollars sounds like the way to go. I remember pointing this out a while back to someone who was looking, and he ended up going the 15. I knew about the weight/price as the old tinnie was only rated to 10, so I was stuck with a 9.9 even though the 15 would have done a better job. Really annoyed me.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,
Mike

harlequin
27-04-2007, 10:02 PM
why do you need one don't you trust ya donk???? blu & rag good point i have for the past two years going 40-50 km out in the spencer gulf , but just went 42km south of avoid bay southern ocean to the 4 hummocks chasing bluefin tuna had all safety gear cdma mobile & numbers to local &national coastgaued sea rescue etc. but couldnt get past feeling so insignificant alone & insecure in 300ft of water with seabirds and giant granite islands with 10ft wavves smashing into em .no other boat in sight and this was a calm day as i want to go back just would feel bit safer maybe just a state of mind .

blaze
27-04-2007, 10:29 PM
aux motors sort of depend on where ya fish, I have radio coms where I fish 50 to 70 km out but no coastguard vmr or such like (place with them are extremely lucky) so I to need an aux motor, has nothing to do with not trusting my main motor, its all to do with safety and where ya fish.
Go with 18hp tohatsu at $2200
cheers
blaze

fishingrod
28-04-2007, 01:32 AM
Ive run a 15hp Mercury (same weight as a 9.9) on a 5m and 5.7M fibreglass boat. You could tell the extra weight was there, but it didnt cause any major trim problems. Like i said you do notice it, especially coz its hanging right off the back of the boat.

Ive got the houseboat style hi-thrust prop and it does 3-5 knots comfortably in mosy sea conditions and 6-8 knots WOT in the calm. It will get you home but is very slow. Its good piece of mind.

Make sure you lash it down to stop it bouncing around in the chop or something will break (mounts etc)

chuss
28-04-2007, 02:13 AM
ha.. the old "why do u need a kicker".

Been out at sea plenty of times with new motors and broken down...
But, being broken down in a big storm isn't nice, it's good to know you can perhaps be on the move or reposition the boat in a few seconds..

50km out, kicker won't save you... but u can move..

twin motor FTW..

saurian
28-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Have run a 15 merc in the past , prop change sounds like a good idea.
For all you people out there who don't need an auxillary , the day you do it
won't be a hassle in the transom corner.
Iv'e needed mine once , now I've got 2 motors ....
Ta.