PDA

View Full Version : Get a job as a deckie??

scoocer101
26-04-2007, 07:29 PM
My dads friend of mine told me that it would'nt be bad if i could get a job as a deckie or sumthing like that so that when im older i can get a job maybe in the D.P.I. of course i would also need good grades.
He said that it would make my credentals (pardon my spelling) better for the future ahead if i wana get a job with something to do with Marine life and the like.

Whats your opinion on this?? Is there part time work for teenagers to be deckies?? very interested, would love to get a job as a deckie somewhere.

Love to hear your responses
scoocer101

bastard
26-04-2007, 07:38 PM
My dads friend of mine told me that it would'nt be bad if i could get a job as a deckie or sumthing like that so that when im older i can get a job maybe in the D.P.I. of course i would also need good grades.

He said that it would make my credentals (pardon my spelling) better for the future ahead if i wana get a job with something to do with Marine life and the like.

Whats your opinion on this?? Is there part time work for teenagers to be deckies?? very interested, would love to get a job as a deckie somewhere.

Love to hear your responses

scoocer101
I know the pays not real flash but it would be nice to wake up each morning and do what you love,i guess you could do this and get your sea time and get your cocswain ticket,this could leed to a much more promising future,good luck with it:)

Sea-Dog
26-04-2007, 09:29 PM
If you do go for a deckies job - make sure that the bloke you work for is HIGHLY safety concious. Give THEM an interview. Its your life your putting in their hands.

I can be bloody dangerous out there. Been there, done that... and lived to tell the tale.

seatime
27-04-2007, 07:09 AM
You could contact DPI or QPWS to see what prerequisites they require from applicants, then you have an idea of what to aim for.
Volunteering with the VMR or AVCG is another means of getting experience and sea time, or maybe the South Passage sail training ship.
I'd imagine it wouldn't be easy to find work as a part time deckie, charter boats usually need a deckie on-call 7 days, ferries and water taxis want full time deckies on a roster. If you know anyone with a charter boat, they might let you tag along?
There are some TAFE courses like "Elements of shipboard safety" which bigger outfits usually require a deckhand to possess for employment.

good luck with it.

SgBFish
27-04-2007, 08:37 AM
scoocer101.

The best way I would suggest would be to call DPI themselves on the link below. Most Government departments will have a "work for us" type section that can provide info on what they are looking for or cadetships, traineeships etc.
If you can get work experience with them woth or without pay do it.
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/xchg/dpi/hs.xsl/31_88_ENA_HTML.htm

Scott

scoocer101
27-04-2007, 03:05 PM
thx for the replies every1

FNQCairns
27-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Yes gaining the higher boating licence's through being a deckhand would certainly give you a leg up in entering the DPI at the fisheries level, but anything else to do with the experience alone will not be of great value to an interviewing panel, they will be first and foremost looking for tertiary qualifications and then experience gained under these qualifications, it's a long haul and UNI is pretty much the only way these days, not impossible to do it with tafe etc but harder (glass ceiling) and relies on being in the right place at the right time or as usuall knowing someone in fisheries/dpi who has the ability to place people for reasons outside of competitive interview positions.

Another asset is your scuba licence and believe it or not some form of truck class licence, but above all Tertiary qualifications will be the big foot in the door as a career.

cheers fnq