PDA

View Full Version : How do you space the runners

Benno75
26-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi, I'm after a little bit of advice but I feel like I should start by pointing out that my rod building skills are kind of limited. I can say that I know how to bind a runner so that it is secure and functional. Some of the posts on this site show workmanship well beyond my capabilities. Some of it is truely impressive, but I'm just aiming for a something that works and is within my capabilities.

Anyway, I have a old 12"6' surf rod which has had the tip snapped off just above the 2nd runner and what I want to do is replace the tip and then re-space the rest of the runners.

I also have a 7" boat rod which I am convinced has one of two problems - its either short one runner, or the runners that are on it aren't properly spaced(or both). When its loaded up, the rod bends nicely and has a great action, but the line does not follow a nice arc along the bend of the rod, instead it makes an angled shape as it stretches from runner to runner (its hard to describe, does that make sense?).

Anyway, the 1st question is: If I was to strip the runners from both rods, how do I work out how to properly space and position each runner?

2nd question is that I read a thread about someone mentoining wet & dry sand paper. Should I be careful when sanding back the blank after removing the runners? What potential damage can sandpaper do?

Thanks for any advice
Benno

Noelm
26-04-2007, 03:30 PM
hhmm I alwys place the first runner (near the reel not the tip) and then place the rest at ever diminishing spaces like the first one is (say) 20 inches away, third one if 17 inches from that, forth is 14 inches from that ,this way it always looks good (that is only an example not a real spacing) when finished, I tape on the guides in place, then get some line and "give it a try" just by holding the line where the reel will be and check the positions, if necessary I will just move them a tad to make it perfect (almost) and as for sanding the blank, I guess as long as you do not go "crazy" I guess it would be OK, but you will need some sort of clear coat to finish it off.

Olly
27-04-2007, 02:18 PM
I use a method I Got from a book by Dick Lewers 'How to Build a fishing rod'(ISBN 0 7301 0065 0 Reed Books) It is too difficult to describe without a diagram( tried and the deleted it!) but it does allow for the action of the blank. I can recommend the book as it explains that and more about rod building.
A word of warning, I started by doing exactly as you described and now Im addicted to it, awlays trying to find an excuse to build a new rod!