PDA

View Full Version : New Ramp at Fisherman Island

maxwell9
26-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Look what happened to this poor chap. Looks like he didn't see the rocks at the entrance to the Brisbane river.

Does anyone think there is a need for more lighting on the wall?

ozscott
26-04-2007, 01:04 PM
bloody hell - poor bastard

Deiter
26-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Ummmmm......how did he do that??? Fall asleep at the wheel?

Blackened
26-04-2007, 01:54 PM
G'day

Bloody hell..... I suppose that's one way to tear up a gearcase.

That wall extention is not lit up at all and is bloody hard to see in low light conditions.

I was taking to bob, the manufacturer of coastal cat and he had one of his boats in for repair.... a pro fisherman ran his 24' cat up ontohe moloolaba seaway rock wall at 20kts, fell sleep at the wheel. Difference is, there was no damage to this cat.

Who took the pic and how old is it?

Dave

juju
26-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Eeek.....looks painfull and expensive...nice looking boat too, sharp looking rocks too and a glass boat...enough to make you cry...

FNQCairns
26-04-2007, 03:37 PM
I have been seasick enough in the past to contemplate doing that but I would have at least tried to tilt the leg up in just time!!:)

cheers fnq

SgBFish
26-04-2007, 03:44 PM
That's a sad thing to see.
I really feel for that bloke.
How does that affect the transom?

maxwell9
26-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Pics taken early last Saturday morning. Here are a couple more. looks like he nearly made it over into the reclaim lake. I'm told the lake is teaming with trapped fish. Has anyone else heard this?

Wahoo
26-04-2007, 04:22 PM
ouch man, poor bugger

Daz

FNQCairns
26-04-2007, 04:24 PM
looks like he nearly made it over into the reclaim lake. I'm told the lake is teaming with trapped fish. Has anyone else heard this?

So you have a theory:):)

cheers fnq

death_ship
26-04-2007, 10:40 PM
thats some nice stunt driving

Mr__Bean
27-04-2007, 01:06 AM
At least the boat and motor are repairable / replaceable.

Did anyone hear how the occupants got on?

It usually ends up there are broken ribs or broken teeth etc.

- Darren

seatime
27-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Looks like a brand spanker rig too, hope on-one was injured. Lucky, could have been much worse, doubt you could do that if you tried.

No slight on this skipper and no idea of the circumstances involved here, but does every structure in the bay have to have a light on it, as earlier comments suggest. Isn't it safer to stay in the marked channels unless you have an intimate knowledge of the area, choose a speed appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions, keep a proper lookout etc.

gawby
27-04-2007, 08:05 AM
That's really sad.
I know how he fells. On my maiden voyage when i bought gawby ii we went over to amity and parked on the sand. Unknown to me there are rocks under the sand and you know the rest. Yep gelcoat gone and bare fibreglass showing. I sat there and nearly cried. I thought why me and i bet this poor bugger is thinking the same thing.
Graeme

RICKTA
28-04-2007, 07:56 PM
sometimes all it takes is to take your eyes off where you are going for a few seconds and you can loose your sense of direction quite easily especially if driving at night with no gps, i know that if you are comeing from the southern part of the bay back to the river you can see some of the river beacons clear as day as if the rock wall doesn't exist but as you can see it sure does.