PDA

View Full Version : Cod Fishing Tackle - advice please

jonboy
26-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Hi there,

I'm new to this cod fishing caper and am wondering what sort of gear I should be using to catch these beauties.

I've only been out a couple of times using borrowed gear but am keen to set myself up. I'd primarily (about 90% of the time) be flicking spinnerbaits and other lures from the bank in the rivers around Inverell, Ashford, Tamworth - NSW.

I've noticed reading other posts that there are a few members who seem to fish these and similar waters so I'd really appreciate your advice.

So...

What Rod, Reel and strength line do you guys use?
If money was object what gear would you love to have?
Considering I am somewhat realistic about budget, what gear would you suggest I get for around $250?

Thanks guys, I'd appreciate any advice you'd like to throw my way.

Boomi Boy
26-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Yo, jonboy, onthat budget an abuc3 6500 reel and a shimano raider rod, like the 6ft2 6to8kg would handle any cod likely to be encountered.

for a few more bucks, a diawa low profile like the 153H coastal (I got 1) would be money well spent.

cheers

wamjam
26-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Gday Jonboy
Mate I use an Egrell Woomera 6-8kg with an abu 5600 or a homemade pacific compocite 6-8kg with an abu 5500 . They have 65lb tuf braid for resistance on granite rocks and schneider 35lb leader or sometimes 30lb lo stretch mono. The new abu C4's look a good reel ,I just bought a new abu record RCN50 on an auction so I'll let you know what its like when it turns up.;) As for rods dont spend too much the bloody thing brake to easy.:-/ But I would try and go with something 8kg for better hook ups. Get some bigger lures or spinnerbaits and go and throw them as close to rocks ,logs and any other crap in the water you can.Then the rest is persistence and luck. If there is anything else dont be shy to ask.
Good luck wamjam

jonboy
27-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks for responses guys.
I went to the tackle shop the other day and was shown a Shimano Cruxis (low profile baitcaster) on a Daiwa Proshooter A 5'10" rod. I was also shown the Shimano Raider Rod - 6'2" Barra Raider which felt great but the extra $ put the set well over $300. I did appreciate the advice I got from the bloke though, which was to put the extra $ into a reel rather than a rod...which backs up what you said wamjam.

What do you think about such a combo?

I note that the reels you guys have mentioned are a different style to the low profile shimano, is there any reason why the Abu's seem to be more popular? Personal preference or functionality?

Thanks again for getting back to me, and I look forward to more 'pearls of wisdom'

Cheers

JB

turley
27-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Hey JB, Seeing as you only have limited funds, I woudl highly recommend a 2nd hand reel (if you are going baitcaster). It honestly isn't worth getting anything new unless you are going to spend 200+ on a reel (eg Jack erskine, pfleuger trion, as a start). Rod wise, I would highly recommend the shimano barra mauler (2pc) or one of the other 5-8, 6-10kg rods in there range! I use the mauler and is great for casting cod lures and spinnerbaits. I have also heard alot of good things about the penn pin point range of rod. Many of the surface lures I use while casting for cod will weigh as little as 10g so you want something that is light enough to cast these but, got the power to put of the brakes if needed. My opinion is get a rod new for about 100ish, get a reel 2nd hand for 150ish and spool with you prefered braid weight (20lb or 30lb for casting). Most of all, have fun and try and release our precious native fish in the water!

Cheers

Turley

wamjam
27-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Gday Jonboy ,I like the abu's because I havent used a reel that will cast as good in that price range. If you shop around you can get a new reel for $100-$130 ,parts are easy to get and I prefer a bigger reel because I got bigger hands. Best thing if you can is borrow a few reels or ask if you can have a few casts when fishing with someone.
See how you go wamjam

rabbi
28-04-2007, 10:19 AM
G'day wamjam & jonboy, I use an angler 6kg fast taper rod which is under $100 with a 1980 model shimano BKM100 baitcaster which has an excellent drag and is still going strong. You can get a good new shimano baitcaster for around $100- $150 and if you use braid, another $30-$50 or cheaper mono if you prefer. Highly recommend Shimano. Sorry wamjam, I had a new abu Baitcaster once and all of the chrome fell off the moving bits in 12 months and I haven't been back there since. I use a 15kg mono leader with 10kg braid and sometimes down to 2.7kg braid line which has raised it's fair share of big cod. Got my 70 pounder on 10kg line and 15kg mono leader. If you are new to codfishing it might pay to go a bit heavier until you feel confident with your gear. All good fun nonetheless. The biggest kick was watching the speckled fish swim away after couple of pics.. cheers, steve.

rossco
28-04-2007, 10:28 AM
jonboy you can pickup diawa millionaire cvz 203 or 253 for $200 or less second hand in very good condition if you look around & can use them for barra as well.

cheers rossco

wamjam
29-04-2007, 06:16 PM
The old BKM100 was my first baitcaster on a bullwhip ,think I went a#s overhead on a rock and stuffed the thread on the handle.Good real but.
wamjam

rabbi
01-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Hi Wamjam, Been there and done that too. I wasn't fishin in the right spot if I didn't fall off a rock, Hey.
Made the Inverell Times years ago for one of my more spectacular rock incidents and had to get the SES to get me out down below copeton.
I have two BKM's that refuse to die and they are always handy as a spare reel.Oldie but a goodie.
The murrays should be on the chew with the cooler weather up there?? cheers.

NOjacks
01-05-2007, 07:12 PM
ive only fished for greenies a few times took my barra gear as recomended 200 calcutta 30lb braid 10-20lb gl2 gloomis no fun at all skull draging those little river fish out of the snags i now use a 3-6 kg gl3 gloomis with a sol baitcaster 20lb braid much more fun

no jacks

wamjam
01-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Gday rabbi sounds like you had a good stack did you get a ride in the chopper or was it before that came along.
wamjam

rabbi
03-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Pre chopper Wamjam, Went down there fishing for trout with the old man and my uncle to a big round hole bout a km down from the fruit bat in 1984 When I was 23. Hopping around the rocks like a mad fool and found some loose sand I didn't see on a big granite rock, went arse up which wasn't so bad, it was the stop at the bottom that broke my leg. It was one of those days where luckily the SES were doing exercises at a spot upstream from us , so I hurt myself in the right place at the right time. The SES had to haul my sorry butt up a 200ft cliff face strapped onto a bed, like they use on the choppers today. For someone that doesn't like heights and swinging around in mid air I was wishing I had gone codding about that stage. I think the headlines went something like." SES exercise turns into real life rescue"
It was a "reel" drama.;D :-[ :-[
Heres a pic. Have a look at the hole. There was a huge cod that lived in there and used to bust up trout gear with ease. Nice spot.
Just to get back on track, I would recommend a cheap graphite rod with a Shimano baitcaster loaded with 15kg braid and a yellow Dam buster lure for that hole.(and a mobile phone)Ha Ha. cheers.

wamjam
04-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Sounds pretty funny now but I bet it sucked at the time.I don't think you can get in through Sammon's place any more so it might be good fishing again in a couple of years. I think its forsale as well .
wamjam

rabbi
06-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Your Right Wamjam, It sucked big time but I can look back now and laugh.
If you 've got a spare $800k you could have your own private fishing hole at the 4wd park. The hills and goats are thrown in at no extra cost. Cheers mate.

jonboy
22-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys...even the bit about going when the SES are doing exercises in the area ...

I ended up going with a Shimano Cruxis on a Daiwa Procaster rod.

I am pretty happy with it and it's already been christened thanks to a lovely little Severn River cod from just below 'The Dungeon'. A whisker off 50cm but enough to get the heart racing.

Cheers

JonBoy