PDA

View Full Version : Spacecraft Boats

Fido
26-04-2007, 06:44 AM
I have a Spacecraft Boat which has been built with a deformed rocker in the bottom. As well there are other quality issues. It also porpoises. Has anyone else had similar issues.

FNQCairns
26-04-2007, 07:49 AM
That's no good, not much a person can do to stop it porposing with one of those, to what degree is the rocker (measurements).
You could fit a false hull from the deepest portion of the rocker to the transom but that's a lot of work/cost.
Is the boat useable at cruise without porposing?

Lot's of alum boats have hooks from winching the boat back onto the trailer still attatched and the owners don't know it, much prefer a hook, silly but what about a controled breaking of its back?!

cheers fnq

Fido
26-04-2007, 11:35 AM
The Rocker is underneath towards the back of the transome. As well supposed to have had a 20.00 degree deadrise came with 16.5 degree deadrise.

The builder tells stories??

FNQCairns
26-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Doesn't sound at all what you thought you were getting, fair few years ago I went with a friend to their factory as he was thinking of buying one, they looked pretty good. I have not seen one on the water since.
They had a water ballast system before the idea became more mainstream with buyers if I remember correctly.

Do you have any pics of the problems they speak a thousand words?

Tried the consumer authorities in your state? or the courts if that option is open to you?

cheers fnq

dnej
26-04-2007, 12:57 PM
The problem can be fixed, by fitting a wedge, which will enable you to trim" under" further at WOT.( Negarive trim)
Older boats sometimes were built with a rocker.Be careful when loading also, that the back skids,are not the highest point, else all the rest of the boat rises over them , before settling,on the lower skids.( pressure on bottom)
Got a pic you can post.
Fitting pods, on either side of the motor,will also help.
David

FNQCairns
26-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Yeah, trim tabs (or a permanent tabs) will help also, but it will never be the boat it was designed to be, every single fixup is nothing but a patch that subtracts from a good setup and subtracts from perfromance and fuel economy

cheers fnq

Fido
26-04-2007, 02:16 PM
I have had the boat assessed by two other boatbuilders who cannot believe it was allowed to leave with that deformity.They comment obviously there was no straight edge or quality checking?

Yes the matter is the subject to Legal Action.

FNQCairns
26-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Well for sure you cannot lose if all is as you say, IMO accept no offers at the court house steps!! Go for broke:)

best of luck in it.

cheers fnq

Luke G
26-04-2007, 07:03 PM
A mate had a boat built by them, I was very impressed with the design and finish of it!

Cheers