PDA

View Full Version : Offshore boat size restrictions

brenns
25-04-2007, 08:12 PM
I've just purchased a new 480 Quintrex runnabout with a 60hp Mercury 4-stroke. Would I be able to get out to Brennans shoal and other reefs in the area with my boat or am I resticted to fishing within Moreton Bay.

I've read and heard good reports of the areas out there but I'm hesitant about heading out there due to the size of the boat.

kingtin
25-04-2007, 08:30 PM
IMHO, once you've got across the bay comfortably, then it's ok to head round the corner to Brennans unless there's a big swell. Familiarise yourself with the swell patterns as sometimes the corner at the cape can be a washing machine. If you're comfortable crossing the bay, then it's worth a look round the corner although it is further than you think.

On a couple of occasions when the bay has been acceptable, but there has been a big Northerly blow a few days before, the residual swell has rolled across as surf completely closing Kianga channel. Pretty awesome to see that, when the bay is fairly calm.

kev

SgBFish
26-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Brenns.
Would you take a new girlfriend to meet your mother?
The answer is the same...not straight away.
Get to know her. Take her out and feel around. Make sure your know her vices first.
Then pick your day and do it right.
Scott

wags on the water
26-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Brenns,
The most important thing, imo, would be to be comfortable in your boat. Know your limits, how far you can go on a tank of juice in all conditions. If you're planning a long trip take extra fuel and if you can ask another boatie to join you or betta still send us a pm.
The frist time i went to cal wide, had a full tank+40l extra, did 100kms all up and only used 35l..conditions were great for the trip home. Boat was 4.55m c/c 502st merc. Also had a support boat.
Have fun, be safe on the water.

Wags

HIGH and DRY
26-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Brenns.
. Take her out and feel around.
Scott

haha, thats gold:D !!

5cougarsthanx
26-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Brenns,
For your first off shore experience in your new pride and joy.I would go down to the Gold Coast and go out through the sea way.It is a good safe entrance with coast guard support near by and is a very short run to the sea way from the runaway bay boat ramp.You can get to know your boat better and how it will handle fuel usage etc.Be warned The top end of Moreton can be a very lonley place when the weather gods get the shits and turn it into a washing machine.
Cheers
Cougarman