PDA

View Full Version : Offshore versus the bay

ozscott
24-04-2007, 03:00 PM
I have been deep sea fishing before, but only on a charter.

I have spent a fair bit of time in the bay and have dealt OK with some of the Bay (Moreton)'s shitty conditions that provide short sharp steep and close chop - and it comes from all directions closer to land in particular. The lack of depth in the bay is clearly the problem - ie the effect of wind on shallow water.

I have never taken a small boat (relatively - mines an old Seafarer Vagabond half cab - about 19.5 feet waterline length) out off shore. I feel like a bit of a fraud because the good bloke who owned the boat before me named it after a reef about 13 clicks off the coast and he used to take it out 60 odd miles off shore at times. He tells me he came back from a fishing comp Bundaberg style in a mini cyclone with 6 metre seas, and whilst hairy he just eased her up and down the waves just ticking over and got back.

I live a fair way from the open water so I cant just pop down and have a look, but i would call the VMR southport say for a guide to whats happening before going out, which would be the Seaway for me. I would first go out with someone who goes out regularly in his old 5 metre Cruisy, but, getting to my Question, is it generally easier operating the vessel in off shore conditions that in the afternoon condititions in the Bay - say 15-20 kncts? What about wind direction, can anyone give me some tips on this type of boating leaving from the Seaway. I am keen to get out, but wonder sometimes when I see threads that show a significantly bigger boat such as the Black Watch go down, coming back in...I dont know what the wind and waves were doing the day it went down, but its still a bit of a worry.

I have 2 of everything ready to go!

Any tips would be appreciated.

Angla
24-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Scott

I think it would be fair to say that you are missing out on the capability of the boat. I take my 19.5 footer out all the time to Wide Caloundra, Deep Tempest, Barwon Banks, that sort of thing.
I am a little wary when crossing bars to make sure the timings are the best suitable for the area and when in doubt, don't go.
Crawl before you walk so to speak.

If you can handle the bay stuff you will find that the waves may be bigger out there but you have more distance between them and that is what makes it safer to traverse these outside conditions. Just the bar crossing to put much consideration into.

Chris

ozscott
24-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Cheers Chris. I think that for me the Seaway might best to start off. I want to do Billie Corten's course soon also - bar crossing course.

The other day I went and pulled up some lovely squire and emperors off Harry Atkinson. It was a good day wind wise in the AM. The bloke at the Cleveland tackle shop took a look at the boat outside and he seemed to think i was mad when I told him where we were fishing and said in no uncertain terms that we should be outside...
Cheers

Angla
24-04-2007, 04:32 PM
That would be a wise move to do the Bar crossing course. I for one find it more of a challenge to learn slowly by experience and take advice from all that wish to give it.
Having said that, I would not put any passengers, the boat or myself deliberately into an impossible situation where the only outcome would be undesirable.

Chris

nigelr
24-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Scott, do the Bill Corten course for sure, and get into it!
I cross my local river bar in a 4.2 open tiller steer dory, many others do likewise, although only when conditions are safe to do so, ie flat swell, incoming tide.
Herein lies the key. Never compromise on safety!
As Angler states, if in doubt, stay inside the bay.
Experience will increase your confidence, before you know it you will be enjoying inshore and offshore fishing, 19.6" is a solid craft.
However, understanding and respecting the limits of your vessel, and being fully aware of the weather conditions both current and anticipated, are essential.
Finding a reliable source for weather/ocean conditions may be the hardest part of your equation, IMO, given you are some distance from the ocean.
Best of luck, you have a lot of great experiences ahead, but as stated, always put safety first, IMHO.
Cheers.

ozscott
24-04-2007, 06:49 PM
CHEERS Nigel

Homer_Jay
25-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Yeah you have a capable boat so get into it. The hardest part is the bar crossing. Do the course and learn as you go. If it looks bad trust your gut and dont go out. Make sure you log in with the local VMR just incase something does go wrong. But one thing about well designed boats is that in the right hands they will handle worse conditions than you could ever imagine being out in.