PDA

View Full Version : 25 ft Bertram flybridge repower

smee
24-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Some time back i wrote my brother Zach bought a 25 ft Bertram with inboards and as usual always something wrong with them age being the problem . Looking at repowering the old girl he priced reco engines new engines and still had legs to add to the ever increasing cost,s . Being the inavative thinker that he is he tried to get information on pods and outboards but to no avail nobody could or would give him any details on one done recently and motor companies didnt have any infomation even though it was in their best interest . So it was all going to be a calculated guess. After much consulting with various people ie His best mate Tommy Johnson also a person who doesnt know the word never and steve fleetwood one of our regions best outboard mechanics they came up with twin honda 150 four strokes on an aluminium pod designed and made by Zach and Tommy. Ive had the pleasure of being on the boat when it first went in the water with 8 people on board nearly all mechanics and sales people wanting to know what was going to happen. And im proud to say that all of us were taken aback when steve who had the honours of being first skipper pushed the throttle forward out and up on to the plane without any effort the smile on everyones face especially my brothers will last a lifetime. Since this a couple of trips have been had, the last was last weekend to gutheries out off Gladstone.This was my first fishing trip without the dreaded inboard cover in the middle of the boat with 5 on board it was still a breeze. The boat does 36knots, and cruises on 24-26 knots at approx 4500 rpm it also uses 2 litres per nautical mile no matter whats on board .
Zach,s last boat was a 30 ft cougar cat with twin 225 yammies and i still think that this boat is better to fish out of. But best of all my brother still cant get that smile off his face.

ozlongboarder
24-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Nice work! Having repowerd my 25 with a new Volvo I am keen to hear other stories of Bertys getting new power. What was the final cost for the whole set up?

smee
24-04-2007, 12:26 PM
I dont know down to the dolar but id asume a couple of 150 four strokes would be around 40k so that plus. Ill find out but obviously cost plus room came into the equasion.

regards smee

ozlongboarder
24-04-2007, 12:48 PM
I dont know down to the dolar but id asume a couple of 150 four strokes would be around 40k so that plus. Ill find out but obviously cost plus room came into the equasion.

regards smee

So many variables to weigh up when repowering, the extra room of the outboards is a HUGE advantage and its does get better economy than mine and have twin engine safety, but mine cost about $26k all up. No easy choice.

Now this one here is the hottest 25 I have seen .... and the fastest!
http://simplifying.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=67

smee
24-04-2007, 01:47 PM
I bet he can still hear the engines.

regards smee

just_cruisin
24-04-2007, 04:47 PM
ozlongboarder, thanks for the link to that 25 bertie (very cool). Was that project here in oz or over in the USA.

ozlongboarder
24-04-2007, 06:56 PM
ozlongboarder, thanks for the link to that 25 bertie (very cool). Was that project here in oz or over in the USA.
The beast with the twin 200's is in South America.

Have a look at this site for heaps of Bertram 25 projects.

http://www.25bertram.com/index.html