PDA

View Full Version : Putting a crab to sleep?

Les
24-04-2007, 10:38 AM
The art of crab sleeping
Hello fellow fishos, its local here, I witnessed a very very unfamiliar incidence on the weekend. It all started with myself catching 2 large mud crabs. I brought them home so I could sell them im not a large fan of the humble muddy but they make an easy $10-15. So after I brought them home we had a few friends over and A friend of mine Tom Meaker and my father Les Fraser, said to me I bet u I could put that crab to sleep “put it out like a light” if I can I can have him. I thought to myself, humm should I risk this really large mud crab? I finally decided what the hell lets see it. Around this time I wasn’t really believing this whole sleeping story, I actually was frighted they where going to hit it with a shovel to put it to sleep.

So as he picked the crab up put it on the grass rolled him over. I was kinda hoping it would grab him on the toe =). After he put him on his back he licked his finger and began to “RUB” the bottom of the shell (well on it ##### to be exact). After about 30 seconds of rubbing to my amazement the crab lowered its claws and wasn’t moving. He rubbed for about 1min more and stood up and told us it was asleep. Then he even said you can put your fingers in his claws he wont snap em’ his asleep. Was this some kind of practical joke that they used to play on each other at there local watering hole so I would put my fingers in and “ SNAP”?.

I unwilling decided to do it the crab wasn’t moving by the way was just lying there. First I put my finger near its eye (as crab can retract there eyes as a defensive technique). The eye didn’t move??? This was really weird the crab was still alive blowing bubble but no movement? Then I proceeded to put my finger in its claws (I know I don’t recommend this to anyone) but in it went and no snap!! I slowly rolled my finger on the inside of its claws and nothing. This was getting really weird was he asleep or in a deep orgasmic trance from Tom rubbing his ding dong? Then Tom said now to wake him up clap these to beer bottles above his head gently. I grabbed em and tapped the together and like clock work the crab’s claws rose with speed and it rolled itself back over and started heading downhill.

Now this was the 1st time anyone there had ever seen this kind of thing. Tom agreed not to take the crab but he gained a lot of respect and the name “the crab whisper”. So please IF you know of anyone who can do this or if it is a common thing let me know below.

Thanks local.

crabs
24-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Thats the first time have ever heard of that .thats amazing.... Ill try it next time i go out.

WHALEOIL
24-04-2007, 01:04 PM
You can do the same to a yabbie. Stand him on his head with his claws out (like a tripod) and rub underneath his tail. The yabbie will stay there on his head.

snasman
24-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Very interesting,and all this time I've been putting them in the freezer.

Les
24-04-2007, 01:31 PM
really? wow im not sure but i herd you can do the same to a shark? but ill have to investigate a bit more before i lay claim to it..

Chimo
24-04-2007, 07:21 PM
You can do it to Chooks too, but you dont have to rub anything.

Lay it down on the dirt and place your finger close to its eyes then draw a line in the dirt starting at its eyes / beak and repeat the line drawing from the eyes out over and over. They stay down for ages or until you let a rooster in to the shed!

Probably works the same with crabs too (this is the connection to fishing)
Happy chook farming

Cheers
Chimo

Sea-Dog
24-04-2007, 08:40 PM
The art of crab sleeping

................................. It all started with myself catching 2 large mud crabs. I brought them home so I could sell them im not a large fan of the humble muddy .............................

Thanks local.

What, a bit of a wind up and no takers.

We are becoming a rather sedate lot lately.

Hmmm

snelly1971
24-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Rock lobster..(crayfish) can be done the same as whaleoil described..

bootyinblue
24-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Wish someone would rub my #######, but then again its been so long I would probably fall asleep too!

JEWIENEWIE
26-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Wish someone would rub my #######, but then again its been so long I would probably fall asleep too!
Why, do you want to put your crabs to sleep?;D ::) :o ;D
Jewie

Wayne_Red
26-04-2007, 07:15 PM
I bet they wake up real quick when you throw em into boiling water.
Wayne

northey
27-04-2007, 10:15 AM
You blokes have got way too much time on your hands, northey

ozbee
27-04-2007, 04:06 PM
do you reckon it might work on the mrssssss