PDA

View Full Version : Teemburra

Ben G
24-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Off to Mackay this weekend
Is there boat hire available at Teemburra ??
Havent been there before and would like to have a poke around.

Regards Ben

mylestom
24-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Off to Mackay this weekend
Is there boat hire available at Teemburra ??
Havent been there before and would like to have a poke around.

Regards Ben

Not at Teemburra, might be something available in Mackay.

Speed limit on dam 6knots, and not much accommodation available close.

But check into it with the local.

Perhaps the local tourist burea in Mackay might be able to give you the info.

Will be fishing up there again in Sept/Oct as part of impoundment trip for this year.

There is a couple of dams to go for the Metre plus.

Good Luck

Trev

childers
24-04-2007, 07:56 PM
went there a couple of years ago,the locals were walking around fishing from the banks ,looked like a good option then,water level was fairly low then ,not sure at present,nothing out there .

mitch qld
24-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Ben,

There is no boat hire available at Teemburra. You can hire a boat from one of the servo's around Mackay if they still do it, but i hear it is costly.

The water level was around 16%, but has been bumped up to nearly 50 thanks to recent rains:D . I havent fished there since about december/january so i couldn't tell you what the fishing is like there at the moment.

My best advice is to go looking fo shallower areas with a bit of structure such as weedbeds, timber or a combination of both. You used to be able to cast SP's (squidgees) of the bank and catch fish, but again i havent fished there for a while so i wouldnt know if this is still a viable option wih the water level rise. To get a hold of a boat would be the best option.

There are some large barra in teemburra, but most come in at an average of around 80cm. If you wanta good crack at a metre plus, head to Kicnhant and troll the dam wall. You can walk out and cast off the wallas well. There is accommodation at Kinchant (a resort, Pub and camping ground).

As i said, facilities at Teemburra are a bit towards the lean side. To put it simply there is a carpark and boatramp and thats it. The closest accomodation would be the Pinnalce Pub, about 10 minutes or so down the road. There is a max boat horsepower rating of 25hp, but many of the locals do go over this, myself included:-X (please dont tell the DPI!!;) ). You will also need a QLD freshwater fishing impoundment permit (i think $7 for a week).

Anyways, best of luck and i hope other members can also help you out.

Cheers, Mitch.

Ben G
24-04-2007, 10:10 PM
thanks for the replies i have booked an outing with a local guide,
regards Ben

gav73
26-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi Ben
I went for a drive up there on Saturday just for a look, and the 6knot/25hp signs are nowhere to be seen. Lots of water in there, it looks so much better than early January when I last fished it. Good luck!
Gav

davez104
29-04-2007, 08:21 AM
I think the 25hp limit was lifted are year or so back, but the 6kn speed limit was going to remain while the dam was low. I reckon it should stay in place, will keep the skiers away.

Dave.

vet
02-05-2007, 05:38 PM
We fished there last week with heaps of fish feeding on the surface. We used walk the dog style lures as the barra are feeding up in the flooded grass. Suspending soft plastics work well.

Neil C
07-05-2007, 08:07 PM
There is no skiing allowed on Teemburra :thumbsup:

The HP restriction is gone but I haven't heard if the speed limit has been lifted yet so best to take it easy coz fisheries have been up there lately ;)

Neil :)