PDA

View Full Version : found a capsized boat of caloundra

sambos
23-04-2007, 07:45 PM
we had a 4 o,clock met at the bongaree boat ramp.fuelled up baited up reay to roll.everyone on time cool. crossed the banks heading for caloundra wide about 5. pulled up waiting for some bush rellyies to catch up in a smaller vessel (slightly lumpy in the morning)but eventually they caught up, just on daylight .off we go again.i notice something about 8oom inshore (as always scanning for surface activity)said to the boys whats that .reply was a spanner crab pot your still hung over . no i said its to big lets go over .as we get closer the crew decided it was a dead whale. no, i kept heading closer .soon as we realized it was a boat had a gut wrenching thought of people in the water (thankfully not).as we came closer dolphin fish were launching everywhere. lures straght overboard 2 laps nothing.lets go over for a closer look .pull up 2 m away. barnacales pretty well develloped,been drifting for some time .we called the incident in to VMR .sent floaters out while waiting for directions catching 3 smallish cobia (among many amberjack dolpin fish and tripple tails swimming around ).the boat was about 17 ft something like a old seafarer hull two outboards.antifouled surprizingly.

After our communcations with vmr ceased we headed to caloundra wide catching a few pearlies not much else .conditions had improved so we headed to our marks east of noosa for a further catch of pearlies and snapper. what was interesting though was there was no securita (unsure of spelling) or mariners warning to the location we had passed on.

we contacted the coastgaurd today to find after righting the hull. they had found a box of 20-30 lures ,3 beer cans in date of forign varity still in date.they believe it is from numea .but in police hands .wonder if i have any salvage rights

bushbeachboy
23-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Ring up the coppers and ask em sambos. The boat will only be a nuisance to them, they might be glad to get it off their hands.

bootyinblue
23-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Sambos....

Want the inside information? Call them up and make sure you are listed as the finder on the receipt for the boat.

After 60 days, and if all reasonable attempts by the Police to locate the owner have failed its a matter of you wishing to claim the item, sign a imdemnity receipt and cart it away.

Believe me, there is nothing worse than property hanging around that you cant write off for whatever reason.

Cheers

DALEPRICE
23-04-2007, 09:29 PM
gday sambos,
i also came accross that boat on sunday, also reported to
the coast gaurd and they didnt mention that anybody else
had reported it, gave them a location and they then responded
with " could we righten the boat ". im with you as i feel an instant
forecast on the radio should have been issued ?????? with its location ??
cheers dale

bootyinblue
23-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Uhhh ohhhhh.... sounds like there might be a dispute over the 'new' ownership of this property!

Dont go down that path as the only winners are the lawyers!!

sambos
23-04-2007, 09:42 PM
upon contact with bribie vmr .first reply was anyone in the water after repling no they asked if we could anchor the vessel .said no then gave gps location after that we drifted with the vessel for 1/2 an hour .we had then to recall vmr and say we we leaving the vessel.vmr caloundra then intervened an asked for a drift direction which we informed them and left . surprizingly heard nothing more of all day

sambos
23-04-2007, 09:52 PM
not to worried about that but if i did get interested im sure vmr would have log time of calls and all crew on board vmr would know our details as they took mobile phone no,s etc upon logging upturned vessel. have also spoken to them today about vessel .said boat is in pretty good condition but rest is no good.hardly worth a lawsuit over a boat worth a couple of thousand.dont even think i,d bother reclaiming it buy the time you buy a trailer and motor,and after being under water probably leave it for them to sell of to recover costs

FNQCairns
23-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Saw it on TV tonight, has those big brown (forget their common name now) barnicles all over it, the engines are totally shot, think the rest would come up OK with a bit of work, been in salt water so no rot just a dryout. Certainly a good story, funny how people on here keep spotting stuff like this.

cheers fnq

Brooksy
24-04-2007, 07:15 AM
Reefhunter II reported this boat late on Saturday afternoon. They wanted to sink it , but the police told them to leave it. A securitae was anounced by VMR Redcliffe at the time. I'm suprised that no one hit it through the night, as it was just inside Cal wide when found at 5.00 pm.

Steve

Smithy
24-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Yep I heard Reefhunter II call it in Saturday evening as well.

In the one news last night it sounds like it has drifted across from Vanuatu.

sambos
24-04-2007, 04:11 PM
the thought crossed our mind to, and have our own private wreck location.but its probably somones pride and joy.how knows what lengths they would go to to get it back.it could even help with a missing person case so had to pass it on and leave it for investigation

dynamicspot
24-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Got some pictures of it today looks not to bad well worth fixing and not in to bad a shape

sambos
24-04-2007, 05:32 PM
gday sambos,
i also came accross that boat on sunday, also reported to
the coast gaurd and they didnt mention that anybody else
had reported it, gave them a location and they then responded
with " could we righten the boat ". im with you as i feel an instant
forecast on the radio should have been issued ?????? with its location ??
cheers dale
what time did you cme across it mate aperently lots of others have also during the day.as i said earlier we reported it abut 6 ish gave them a location and a drift direction after drifting with it for 1/2an hour or so.first rang bribie vmr than forwarded to caloundra vmr how said tey were under way cant believe took till 5 pm to locate

gone_fishing
24-04-2007, 06:45 PM
thats two boats found drifting off the queensland coast
hope theres no pirates up there
i think my stomach would turn if i came across a empty boat floatin around at sea

Homer_Jay
25-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Im with the Caloundra coastguard, there was a bit of a mix up about the boat as I was on duty saturday and knew about the first report. There has been a about a 10 wodden boat floating around and breaking up last week. There was no way to retrive it as it would have just fallen apart towing back through the bar and just wasnt worth the risk as the boat was sinking anyway. When the report came through we just thought it was this boat so didnt worry too much about it.

sambos
25-04-2007, 05:16 PM
that explains alot then. but still wondering why you would think that ,when we said we found an estimated 17ft fiberglass when we reported the incident .everyone one makes mistakes though,and i realise there are idiots out there that wouldn,t have a clue at what their looking at.and would waste your time regularly

sambos
25-04-2007, 07:20 PM
sorry guys just ha a look back through the thread. had thought every one was talking 5 sunday, not sat as clearly printed. need to open my eyes and let the info sink in.

sambos
26-04-2007, 08:16 PM
had a call from the water police today about the vessel.said how whoever spotted it on saturday had laid a clam to it . but what was interesting was that because the boat was found more than 12 nm offshore it came under international law.which, he says, is the person who throws the line to the vessel and successfull tows to shore takes on ownership.therefore property of vmr .he said boat smelt putrid cant even get close to it probably going to dump it .while he was talking to me he said his boss intervened and said they just recieved contact details of the owner via email and would try to contact him .hopefully he is ok

disorderly
26-04-2007, 09:55 PM
sambos,

Does that mean that any unattended vessel more than 12nm offshore becomes the property of whoever finds it and tows it in?

Might have to be more careful when scuba diving away from the boat.

sambos
27-04-2007, 06:21 AM
mate if you you have your dive flag up im sure youd be ok. ive never been diving without someone left on board any way just incase something happens.t had 1 instance where anchor drifted while down lucky then for the person onboard to bring the boat back when we surfaced