PDA

View Full Version : offset transon arrangement?

richyrich
23-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Hi guys
I am slowly getting towards being in a position to buy my first boat, and appreciate all of your feedback so far.
Am keen to find out the advantages and disadvantages of a offset transom arrangement with an outboard?
Cheers

BM
23-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Do you mean a pod??

captain rednut
23-04-2007, 07:38 PM
hi the best advice if going offshore is buy a glass boat haines hunter etc or maybe a tinnie and find a good chriropractor, ive got a 680 patriot h/h and it doesnt get better than that. and i find yamaha four strokes awesome. i hope ive helped u a little

richyrich
23-04-2007, 07:39 PM
yes, a pod.....

Sniper
23-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Well depends on the size of boat your looking at, the style of fishing and the area's you'll want to fish. I myself am about to purchase a 445 Quintrex Hornet with a pod on the back. Upgrading from a 435 Hornet which doesn't have a pod and is a rear tiller. 445 is a side console so no motor well inside the boat. Pods are good when you pull up in a hurry, as no wash comes into the well on a boat without a pod. Downside is you loose some room inside the boat, but for the rig I'm purchasing I'm actually gaining a more user friendly rear casting platform. Horses for coarses.
Cheers
Billboy

FNQCairns
23-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Some quick points:

positives,

can have transom door (they are great)
less wash from rear
if floatation pod better stability in rear corner of boat
can increase hull planing length, only one to get unless you want to go real fast then setback pod.
motor can sit further away from driver.
nice spot to exit enter boat on the water or trailer

some negatives,

costs more to buy
sometimes harder to attatch stuff to it compared to full height transom
right royal pain when fighting a good fish
big waves can push down on them (so I am told)
need longer trailer:)

cheers fnq