PDA

View Full Version : fish for sport or feed

darryl13
23-04-2007, 06:59 AM
because my neighbours have ribbed me about my catch and release method of fishin i was just wondering how many others out there catch and release.
by the way my neighbours reckon what ever i catch i should keep and if i cant eat it give it to them... maybe they should go fishin hey

bushbeachboy
23-04-2007, 07:18 AM
Stuff the neighbours mate. They can go fishing or maybe go with you and contribute to the costs. Hehe.

As for the poll, mate I do a bit of both. Go fishing for a feed, but it's also a bit of sport. I always throw back the fish that I'm not going to eat, and thoroughly enjoy the fishing.
Cheers

finga
23-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Mate...Most people here would consider fishing as a sport, pastime, downtime, quality time with the family etc otherwise they would not be here.

I reckon a lot would be in the catch to eat category but when they've got a feeds worth do the release option.

Most want to see the water as a renewable resource (for which-ever reason they fish) and thusly do not, would not do the rape, pillage, plunder bit to it.

Give the neighbours a handline and some prawns and tell them to go and catch their own fish. You never know, they may enjoy themselves ;D

Owen
23-04-2007, 07:45 AM
I fish to annoy my husband as it seems every time I go out guess who catches the most.
But seriously we do both as we will never take more then we can eat, we don't supply our neighbors and you won't see a freeze full of fish here either.

gee nearly made a boo boo. Logged in as the wrong person, would that have some of you talking. "Husband - Cheers Owen"

Posted by sandyd

blaze
23-04-2007, 08:24 AM
both, although these days I am not sure I would use the word SPORT for obvious reasons, so when I have a feed I do research for species and habitat, do a bit of tag and release, admire and release and formulate this data into a document for future refeerence. I find great preasure in the fact that I am doing all I can for the future of a great source of food.
cheers
blaze

Leeann
23-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Catch and release as well as fillet and grill it :)
We never give fish to the neighbours .... that's the last thing our poor fish stocks need!

darryl13
23-04-2007, 08:44 AM
i like a feed myself but only take enough for the wife and me when i feel like filleting fish(most times i dont want to fillet and clean fish when i finish fishin) i'd rather have a beer and tell fishin stories

ffejsmada
23-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Catch and release as well as fillet and grill it :)
We never give fish to the neighbours .... that's the last thing our poor fish stocks need!

Exactly the same sentiments Leeann.

Stuff the neighbours, let them catch their own!!!!!;)

el_carpo
23-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Both. It depends on the species and the size of the fish. I never keep any bass and I release any large fish I catch of a species I would eat. I figure it's best to keep those genes in the pool. They've proven themselves to be of a healthy, tough, and large growing strain. The more of those, the better. I think a slot limit is best. Keep nothing under "x" and nothing over "y."

Foxy4
23-04-2007, 09:48 AM
I catch and release. BUT i don't seem to be catching to many these days. My wife and son can out fish me everytime.

WHALEOIL
23-04-2007, 09:53 AM
We rarely keep anything. The only fish we keep is if it is too damaged to release. Also, rule 1 in the boat "no fish gripping pliers"

Ausfish
23-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Fish for the relaxation benefit.

I feel the word sport should not be associated with fishing. It is a recreation, the largest paticipation recreation in Australia.

Ryan.S
23-04-2007, 10:29 AM
I catch for a feed. I like to have fresh fish every couple days. Its good fun and costs next to nothing, well once you are set up.
Ryno

Dirtysanchez
23-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Blimey !! with the very limited amount of time I have available to possibily go fishing I would like to be able to bring home something for dinner, but it usually doesn't work out that way. Doesn't seem to be too much around these days

Many years ago I did tag and release when I lived in NSW, had a boat capable of going out 15 miles and coule target tuna schools, but now.. :(

Luc
23-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Mate, your poll is flawed.

You should have "Both" as a third option.

Most of my catch is released except for one or two for private consumption.

If the neighbours want fish, their 2 options are the fish market or come out with me and share the costs.

Luc

darryl13
23-04-2007, 12:07 PM
luc i think its petty straight forward if you keep fish to eat or you catch and release
pick the one you fall under in my book if you catch ten and keep two you still catch to eat
if you catch and release that means everything you catch

crabs
23-04-2007, 12:56 PM
[quote=Luc;607962]Mate, your poll is flawed.

You should have "Both" as a third option.

Most of my catch is released except for one or two for private consumption.

I only will take one fish home and it would have to a nice fish for me to keep it.
On most trips i wouldn't bring any home ,but I have no problems with the guys i take fishing Keeping the fish i catch.:)

Far side
23-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Always only take what I need leave some for tomorrow
Never fill the freezer otherwise there is no excuse to go fishing

Will always stop if say catching taylor and the lures are damaging the fish no point in killing your pastime

disorderly
23-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Option number 3 for me.
Dont keep freshwater fish.
Dont keep cobia, trevally,sharks etc.
Keep tuna for bait.
Eat red fish (trout,nannies etc) ,sweetlip and spanish mackeral.
Keep a couple of those pesky shark mackeral for the neighbor.And in turn they do us the odd favour.

So Darryl,what do your neighbors do for you that they would expect to be supplied with fish?

cheers Scott

sid_fishes
23-04-2007, 05:54 PM
luc is right , on every level 1 or 2 fish to eat and stuff the nieghbours let them go and enjoy some time on the water cheers sid

breamexplorer
23-04-2007, 06:10 PM
After a feed is caught and maybe one fish for the inlaws its catch and release, got to keep them happy.

Mod11
23-04-2007, 06:23 PM
I practice CF&R.

Catch, Fillet and Release.

Catch a feed,

Fillet for ease of cooking,

Release remains back to the bottom of the food chain.

I also agree, that Recreational Fishing is not a sport.

chilli

dogsbody
23-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Whats with all this stuff the neighbours banter? are you guys that miserable to do something nice for someone else without expecting anything in return. Shit guys there is enough piss poor attitudes getting around. Why don't you give it a go and put a smile on someone elses face hell they might even let word get out that your a good egg.

I catch to eat. The only trouble i have is catching enough for a couple of meals.
Last time i went out and took a mate only got 1 fish to keep so i gave it to him.

Dave.

darryl13
23-04-2007, 08:09 PM
its seems most people catch to eat but do not take everything they catch
so it seems people are learning about protecting our resources
thanks everyone

craig51063
24-04-2007, 12:04 AM
i fish for the sport but sometimes keep 1 or 2 fish for the table . but never keep fish that i think are good breeding stock .and i will not supply my neighbours with fish .

WHALEOIL
24-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Whats with all this stuff the neighbours banter? are you guys that miserable to do something nice for someone else without expecting anything in return. Shit guys there is enough piss poor attitudes getting around.

Toads are too good for my neighbours. Each to their own.

rockfisho
24-04-2007, 04:45 PM
yep, you definitly should have both as a third option.

snelly1971
25-04-2007, 12:08 AM
I live on the stuff...so i must say FEED ME...but we do release alot as well

scubajay08
25-04-2007, 12:13 PM
i mainly use the catch and release method probarbly 95% of the time. although i enjoy a feed of fish as well and will only eat fish that hasn't been frozen. however if the fish is large there is no option but to freeze. the one thing that really gives me the freak outs is when people go out every weekend with the mission to bag out and keep as many fish as possible. all the while with a freezer full of fillets going to rot already at home and giving their entire catch away on their return because they have no need for it. a lot of crew need to become more aware of maintaining a healthy fish population for future generations. in saying this however to go out and catch a couple fish for a feed for immediate needs is a great feeling.

PinHead
25-04-2007, 05:52 PM
kill & grill

PinHead
25-04-2007, 05:54 PM
i mainly use the catch and release method probarbly 95% of the time. although i enjoy a feed of fish as well and will only eat fish that hasn't been frozen. however if the fish is large there is no option but to freeze. the one thing that really gives me the freak outs is when people go out every weekend with the mission to bag out and keep as many fish as possible. all the while with a freezer full of fillets going to rot already at home and giving their entire catch away on their return because they have no need for it. a lot of crew need to become more aware of maintaining a healthy fish population for future generations. in saying this however to go out and catch a couple fish for a feed for immediate needs is a great feeling.

as long as no laws are broken...who cares what people bring home.

BAT
25-04-2007, 07:10 PM
as long as no laws are broken...who cares what people bring home. Answer is The Green's.

hervey_bay
25-04-2007, 07:53 PM
both, although these days I am not sure I would use the word SPORT for obvious reasons, so when I have a feed I do research for species and habitat, do a bit of tag and release, admire and release and formulate this data into a document for future refeerence. I find great preasure in the fact that I am doing all I can for the future of a great source of food.
cheers
blaze

Gee Blaze , I'd never have picked you as an oriental ;D

I fish for the feed , I release any undersize fish or ones I don't want and try to do it carefully , if I catch "enough" for eating , I stop fishing for that day and won't fish again until the freezer gets low , although if I have enough fish I might go casting and crabbing , still a good day out . I don't catch and release prawns either ;)