PDA

View Full Version : Takening care of your boat

troy
22-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Do any members become pariond about looking after there boats.
I feel that i have a problem that i cannot cope with a srcatch let alone chips in the gele coat.
Does any other member feel this way or am i a nut case

Troy

davez104
22-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Yes, complete nutcase, I recomend massive doses of fishing as therapy. I admire your discipline in maintainence, but I never could worry too much about scratches etc, I take my boat to where I want to fish, if it cops some scratches as a result of that, well, so be it. I wouldn't let the possibility of minor damage stop me from going anywhere.

Dave.

Ryan.S
22-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Im with Dave on this one. Thats what my boats for. No one intentionally knocks there boat around but hey, you cant wrap it in bubble wrap either.
Ryno

BM
23-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Troy,

If you need it wrapped up in cotton wool and admired from a distance then do so.... and fish from a pier........

If you plan to use it then do so and say "f**k it" I can get the chips/scratches repaired.

After all, its a boat is it not??? to BOAT from ,and FISH from, and ENJOY LIFE from, not to fuss about a bloody scratch from.....

Wahoo
23-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Troy
i can understand where your comming from, i must be a NUT also, but its not only the boat, its all the gear i have, its just some PPL have pride in what they own

Daz

davez104
23-04-2007, 03:39 AM
I don't think that we don't have pride in the things we own, maintainence is important and I like to think my gear is reaonably well looked after. It's just that it gets used for what I want it to do, not whats best for its appearance. Just me I guess, and like I said, I admire the discipline of the people who can keep their boats looking so good.

Dave.

Marlin_Mike
23-04-2007, 05:12 AM
I'm with Dave BM and Ryan. We all love out boats. and love looking after them, but if i get a few scaratches on her, so be it. She gets me out there and brings me home safe and alive. I dont abuse her either, but if i didnt want a mark on her I'd leave her in the garage and admire her from afar.

You need fishing therapy.........chill and enjoy her, clean her look after her, bit like humans, a few scratches can be fixed easily with some TLC ;D

Mike

bootyinblue
23-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Complete Nutcase.... I say!!

Nah seriously, I have a fairly new boat too and apart from a few paint chips around the bow roller and bollard and a scratch on the side that my new AUSFISH sticker is covering its in prety good nick.

I was getting p!ssed about blood and guts on the rear lounge so knocked up some simple seat covers for that also.

DOes that make me nuts too?

bushbeachboy
23-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Yeah, both of you, complete fruitloops. I used to be a bit like that, but found Prozac to be a help. And I bought a Polycraft, so what dents and scratches? It's very robust in comparison to my previous glass and tin boats. It's probably got scratches I just haven't noticed yet, but doesnt dent like tin. And I have zero worries about corrosion or rot either. It's also very easy to be quiet on the water, much quieter than a tinny.

On the downside, it's heavy for such a small boat (265kg hull weight on 4.1m punt), has a ripply hull (not finished to as high a standard as a good tin or glass boat) and it's more difficult to mount electric stuff in (running wires etc) because of the double skin.

Somehow the more I use it, the more I like it. It's by far the best river boat I've owned, and I don't take it outside.

So in answer to the question, relax a bit, your boat will collect scratches and stuff from using it. And take Prozac, Valium and......never mind. And go the poly!!!!!;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Marlin_Mike
23-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Wheelie Bins on water................... sheesh....................:):):)

Mike

manchild
23-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Wheelie Bins on water................... sheesh....................:):):)

Mike

But doesnt dent like dogdishes;D ;D :P
On the subject I look after my boat mechanically ,apperence is something that other people judge me by ,or my boat.I couldnt care less.Thats just me:)
George

Wayne_Red
23-04-2007, 07:18 PM
My boat works for me I don't work for it. I'm a bit hard on the gear but I can appreciate those who keep theirs in tip top condition.
Wayne

troy
23-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Okay i might be a nut case but when i was young i did not look after my boats the way i should have and when i tried to sell them the value was not there.
In recent years i have learnt that the bettter you look after your assets the more rewarding it is.
My last boat i owned for five years i got back what i purchased it for mainly because of this obsession i have developed.
Troy

NAGG
24-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Yeah, both of you, complete fruitloops. I used to be a bit like that, but found Prozac to be a help. And I bought a Polycraft, so what dents and scratches? It's very robust in comparison to my previous glass and tin boats. It's probably got scratches I just haven't noticed yet, but doesnt dent like tin. And I have zero worries about corrosion or rot either. It's also very easy to be quiet on the water, much quieter than a tinny.

On the downside, it's heavy for such a small boat (265kg hull weight on 4.1m punt), has a ripply hull (not finished to as high a standard as a good tin or glass boat) and it's more difficult to mount electric stuff in (running wires etc) because of the double skin.

Somehow the more I use it, the more I like it. It's by far the best river boat I've owned, and I don't take it outside.

So in answer to the question, relax a bit, your boat will collect scratches and stuff from using it. And take Prozac, Valium and......never mind. And go the poly!!!!!;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

:earmuffs: What is it with you poly owners .... do you all feel the need to justify your purchase .... like someone that buys a Volvo ! ..... for god sake chill out .... ! .... :wut: .... NAGG