PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Hydrofield

sgk1
22-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Hi everyone,
I am completely new to boats, but have fallen in love with the Hydrofield Trihulls.
I am currenlty looking for a good 2nd hand Hydrofield around the 5 meter mark (16-17 feet).
Are there any specific things I need to look out for, should i find one?
Or just like any other fibreglass boat?
Any advice would be appreciated.
One of the reasons I like them is the look of the hull, but also the etxra stability.
If any one has been on a Haines Hunter 17r or v and is also familiar with the similar sized Hydrofield, i would love to hear what you thought of the difference in regards to stability.
We plan to use the boat to do some fishing, diving and wakeboarding, but aren't too serious about any of these - it's more about stopping to work on the weekend and having some fun on Port Phillips Bay.
Oh, if you know of anyone selling a Hydrofield, please let me know - 0418 - 348 907.
:)
Steffan

Wayne_Red
22-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Hi Steffan
I have not been in a hydrofield, I am sure they go well. I think it would be hard to find one, you don't see many around. I saw an 8.8m one the other day with twin 200 optis on the back, very nice. For want you want you couldn't go past a 17r or 17L. It would be easier to find a good one and will all you want with ease.
Regards wayne

Kerry
22-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Won't be easy to find, but if you do you will need to almost make a decision on the spot as you probably won't get a second chance, they will not last long.

There is no comparison between a Hydrofield and 17L/C/R with regard stability, the Haines doesn't come close.

Just keep in mind there a quite a few different Hydrofield versions/models in this length produced over the years.

leezor
22-04-2007, 08:59 PM
I sold a 6.1mt Hydrofield around 18 months ago for $16k, only advertised it once and the first person to see it bought it, he didn't even want to take it for a run.
They seem to have increased on popularity over the years, and I must admit it did ride exceptionally well.

sgk1
22-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Hi there,
thanks for the feedback. That Jaguar did really look nice and would have been tempting - although may be a bit too big for what we want to do.
I know the Hunters are good boats - but the Hydrofields just have so much more appeal to me. I have been told about one - 4.95m long, about 1985 with a V90 on it.
Kerry, i have seen you comment on Hydrofields on the forum before - is that too old or would that still be ok if hull is sound and engine passes compression test? I have attached three pics. Any idea what that should be worth?

Steffan

Wayne_Red
22-04-2007, 09:56 PM
16k Leezor, I bet he couldn't get the money out of his pocket quick enough. I would have thought that was cheep. How did it compare to your southwind? The hydrofields are certainly a nice looking boat.
As for the yellow one above hmmm my estimate would be 6-8k, offer 5k. I may be way out, happy to be corrected.
Regards wayne

leezor
22-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I reckon it was too cheap, though I only paid $15k for it and was happy to get atleast what I paid for it.
I felt it was a little under powered, it had a 180hp 4 cyl Mercruiser in it. It handled the rough stuff really well, alot different to the SF20. The Hydrofield was a fair bit heavier than the Southwind which sure made short work of the short NQ chop. I could never get used to the way it 'cornered', the Hydrofield does not lean in when turning like a mono.
I would definately consider another, though a little more power would be nice.
Lee

Wayne_Red
22-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Yeh, fair enough Lee. Most of us don't have the mongrel in us to get max $ when it comes to selling.
Wayne

Grand_Marlin
22-04-2007, 10:25 PM
The later models (like Leezors) and later are the better boats.
The 18 Jaguar is a really nice boat when powered by twin 70 or 90 yammies.
Tows easily as well - no ttoo heavy.

The newer 6.6 is also a nice boat, but getting heavy to tow.

The older models like what you have pictured sgk1, personally, I didnt think they were much of a boat... very unstable when underway, as they were quite narrow in the beam.

I didnt like the old 16 footer at all, but the 18 Jaguar is a really nice boat.

Not as soft riding as a cat, and not as good at handling big seas as a cat, but it has the advantage of working exceptionally well with a single motor.
Huge cockpit in the 18's
They are as stable as a cat.

Still better than any mono though.

Cheers

Pete

moparrob
22-04-2007, 11:03 PM
I just brought my old one back for $1500 has an 82 model 85 suzuki on the back which will be coming off soon not sure what to put back on it really only want to put something like a 130 yamaha or 135 merc/mariner but i am having difficulty in finding out info on where the optimum engine height is and whether to go 20" shaft off to the side or 25" shaft in the middle

sgk1
23-04-2007, 09:07 AM
I just brought my old one back ...

Looks beautiful! Could you let me know why you bought her back? There seems to be some reference above that the old ones from the eighties weren't so good. Did you have some other boat in between to compare it to? By the way, you could ask the company which took over Hydrofield and which still makes them in regards to the engine- http://hydrofieldtrihulls.com/
Their website is a bit sad, but the contact details are on there and they are very helpful. I read somewhere on the forum - I think by Kerry - that overpowering the Hydrofields is pointless (his words) - can't quite remember why but a search for Hydrofield should uncover this on the forum.

Kerry
23-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Yeah Hydrofields can only use a certain amount of power and the rest is basically a waste of time.

The 18 jag liked twin 70's, any more was all show and no real purpose in the water.

The pre jag hydrofields were a bit different and also not all made by Hydrofield themselves? Some were made under license up north somewhere but that's going back a bit?

That older style is more in line with the design of the original 27, which for any comparison the 27 is probably still the best Hydrofield that was made.

The 90 johno is probably a bit past its use by date so wouldn't be including that a great lot in the overall price. Power wise it's probably reasonbale / useable considering it must be close to a flywheel rated 90??? can't recall. You really need to have a real good look over the hull for all the typical issues with older boats.

The original jag in either 16 or 18 foot would be my preference thou!

Regards, Kerry.

moparrob
23-04-2007, 12:56 PM
The boat i have is a 16 ft jaguar not sure if it is an original built by hydrofield or one built under license but either way it is the same as a jaguar 16 the hull is about 89 model i think when i sued to own it had a single 200 on it ultra long shaft in the centre was good for 40 knots+! I have the hydrofield video where they are running twin 50's on the 16 i really want to put a single back on it just for ease of installation. The reason i brought it back was because the guy i sold it to is a mate in gladstone and he has left it sitting for 3 years the boat is too good to leave sitting.

moparrob
23-04-2007, 12:58 PM
By the way my boat has the stepped flat on the latter half of the centre hull that's what makes it difficult for the correct engine height set-up any suggestions! I sent hydromax an e-mail they wanted me to ring them i haven't got around to it yet.
Rob

sgk1
23-04-2007, 01:47 PM
That older style is more in line with the design of the original 27, which for any comparison the 27 is probably still the best Hydrofield that was made.

thanks Kerry, but looks like I am a bit slow on the uptake.

Where does that leave the orange hydrofield pictured above? Is that the original style? The main difference I can see between the orange Hydrofield and the one from Moparrop seems that the morrop's Spellcaster seems to have a slightly smaller cuddy and the backend of the Spellcaster has a platform sticking out - wheres the Orange Predator is enclosed.

So in your view is the Orange Predator the better one i.e. closer to the original (built in 1985)?

And what in your view looks like a reasonable price for the orange one? Would it be worthwile rebuilding the 1985 Johnston (I was quoted aboyt $2000 for it)?

Thanks for your great advice.

Smithy
23-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Ditto to what Grand Marlin said about the older skinnier ones with the little I have had to do with owners of both types. The one guy used to say "when the monos are heading home the cats are thinking about it and when the cats are heading home the tris are thinking about it!"

sgk1
23-04-2007, 07:28 PM
The older models like what you have pictured sgk1, personally, I didnt think they were much of a boat... very unstable when underway, as they were quite narrow in the beam.

Grand_Marlin,
thanks, for the Advice. Are the newer Hydrofields around the 5 meter mark any wider, i.e. for example the Awesome 5, than the 80's models? Haven't been able to establish that yet, but in photos they look pretty much the same?

sgk1
25-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Just in case anyone is reading this thread to also find out about Hydrofields, I have been able to track down a bit more info.

Leezor's Hydrofield is an old Jaguar. The orange one is an old Cougar - one of the last ones they made (discontinued in 1985), and the first one with a special type of hull which had steps in the tunnel. I have attached an old picture where you can see the steps.

It was actually designed for offshore work - but as pointed out by Grand marlin - around 200 mm narrower than the later 5m boats.
The smaller Jaguar which cost only $1500 :'( to buy back was already 2m wide as opposed to 1.8m).

The current model is the Awsome 5 (the other picture attached). That has been designed with that extra cut off in the side hull so it supposed to lean into the curve rather than doing the Cat thing of leaning outwards. Does anyone know if the older Hydrofields actually did lean outwards when cornering? I thought they didn't.

If anyone want to get rid of a Jaguar or later for a reasonable price, let me know.

leezor
25-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi sgk1, the 6.1mt I used to have was a 1989 model, and I was told by the guy I bought it from that it was one of very the few 6.1mt built with the stern drives. Apparantly the guy who bought it lived in PNG and had it shipped there where it spent most of it's early life.
I confirmed the age of the engine by the serial number and it too was manufactured in 1989.
Cheers,

Lee

sgk1
25-04-2007, 01:28 PM
May I ask why you ended up selling it?

leezor
25-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Good question Steffan, not sure really, at the time I decided to get something a bit easier to tow around. But i ended up buying another 6mt boat again anyway :wut: .
I am thinking about selling my current boat and going bigger again, ideally I would like a 24 or 28ft cat, but will have to wait and see.

Lee

Fido
26-04-2007, 06:53 AM
My mate has an Awesome 5 for sale via John Crawford Marine in Brisbane. It was a special one off version heavily laid up.

Look on Boat Point or Web Site John Crawford Marine. This fellow commutes between Turkey Beach and Bendigo throughout the year.

troy
27-04-2007, 05:14 AM
Grand Marlin what a load of crap.
I have been in plenty of them and while more stable at rest then a mono but will not out perform a mono of the same length.
Troy

Kerry
27-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Grand Marlin what a load of crap.
I have been in plenty of them and while more stable at rest then a mono but will not out perform a mono of the same length.
Troy

But you would have to take the mono out in the same weather a Hydrofield can handle to actually know :-X Not much good comparing things in the harbour ;D

moparrob
27-04-2007, 11:11 AM
My boat is the newer style sixteen and I have been in many boats from sixteen to 22 foot in plate and glass in mono hull and I have been in some big seas in all boats and none of them handle the rough stuff as well as the hydrofield that is why I brought it back. Before I knew better I used to go through the south passage bar on the north side of rufus king through the breakers in my hydrofield never once did I get into trouble. Another time I came back through the same bar and missed the northern channel to the north I nearly ended up on moreton island I still made it back through the breakers no worries. I still haven't been in a boat that loves a big following sea like the hydrofield lands on a cushion of air wave after wave.
Rob

nigelr
27-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Rob, out of interest, how do the Hydrofields go running into a chop, comparative to a mono or twin hull, also how are they at anchor, nose first into a NE chop.
I am researching a new vessel, my main interest is to be able to comfortably fish more late afternoons inshore, in say a 15knt NE chop on a low swell.
Also my fishing is accessed via a river bar, by your reply am I correct in thinking they handle this aspect well?
Cheers.

troy
27-04-2007, 03:17 PM
A mate of mine owned a 21 ft centre console hydrofield and i went out to the reef with him on numereous occasions and i found it to be very stable at anchor.
You could easily fish four blokes on one side without it leaning over.
One of the best fishing set ups going however i believe a good brand mono hull of the same length will ride just as good if not better.
And no Kerry i did not test it in the harbour or in the two foot chop lol
Troy

troy
27-04-2007, 04:42 PM
SGK1,
Mate if you are looking for a hydrofield then the Burdekin would be your best bet as our local boat builder used to make them and there is quite a few around.
Troy

sgk1
27-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Are you referring to the Burdekin region in QLD (i am in Melbourne) or is there a hydrofield type Burdekin? I haven't heard that name before or seen it mentioned anywhere with Hydrofield. Google is also not very helpful.
I've seen the one up in QLD, but the asking price is $26,000 - which is more than I can spend :(
It looks very nice, though - the picture above is from the one on sale in Brisbane.
Quite funny how this is turning into discussion about hydrofield versus mono hull, though.
I just like the Hydrofields - the concept, the design and the stability.
But I would suggest that really only those can comment who have been on both types of boats - and to me it sounds the verdict there is load and clear.
So I am still looking for a Hydrofield ;D

Kerry
27-04-2007, 08:02 PM
....The pre jag hydrofields were a bit different and also not all made by Hydrofield themselves? Some were made under license up north somewhere but that's going back a bit?

That older style is more in line with the design of the original 27 .....

Regards, Kerry.

....Are you referring to the Burdekin region in QLD (i am in Melbourne) or is there a hydrofield type Burdekin? I haven't heard that name before or seen it mentioned anywhere with Hydrofield.

Yes that's been mentioned but they never made any Jaguar models!

troy
27-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Made in the burdekin Nt Qld
Troy