PDA

View Full Version : Crack / leak in hull

bay_firey
22-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Well I bottomed out a couple of weeks ago and noticed last time out and today that i was having copious amounts of water inside the hull

Where the hell is it coming from ??

Today I added some water and had a look and bugger me dead there is water leaking out from a crack about 75 - 100mm in length just aft of where the bow turns to become the bottom. This appears to be just under a small lower area of the floor

Now the question ??
What is the best fix - cut floor and glass from inside then ??

Wrap fibreglass over the area from the outside ??

Grind a small area out and fill with resin and powder mixed into a bog ??

Time is an issue here as I really need to use the boat as support for the Outrigger club on Saturday

bay_firey
22-04-2007, 06:40 PM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u263/Bay_Firey/Boat/Picture001sml.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u263/Bay_Firey/Boat/Picture055.jpg

Under this section of floor

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u263/Bay_Firey/Boat/Picture004.jpg

Blackened
22-04-2007, 06:49 PM
G'day Mark

Give Grand_Marlin a pm, pete will know exactly what to do.

Dave

bay_firey
22-04-2007, 06:58 PM
should have thought of that

Thanks Dave

Grand_Marlin
22-04-2007, 07:14 PM
G'day Mark,

Sorry, there is no quick fix.

It has to be glassed from both sides.

Grind the gelcoat off the inside and lay 3 layers of glass over.

Grind out underneath as well and lay 3 layers of glass back in ... feathering it into the existing.

It is a structural repair, so please get a professional to do it.

Just grinding out and bogging up will do nothing ... it will split again straight away.

Cheers

Pete

bay_firey
22-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks Pete

Thats pretty much what I was afraid of.

Will have to see what the insurance company says, and get the job done properly

bay_firey
23-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Pete

What sort of ball park figure should I be looking at for this type of repair.

Just after an idea so I know I am not being ripped a new one

Roughasguts
23-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Bloody hell firey, what did you bang in to to get that ding.
Does that rolller sit directly under that ding? wondering if that roller, and pulling down on the winch cable has helped it along.

bay_firey
23-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Been having the same thoughts RAG
It is the very front roller.

I don't recal hitting anything hard or at speed, I did get caught in some less than perfect seas a few weeks ago and did come down very heavy off the back of a couple waves really stood up right in front of me but would have thought that if that was the cause it would have cracked accross the hull and not along also would have thought it would ahve been further back,so am at a loss to explain it

I may have to drop that roller abit after the fix so as to barely touch the hull ??

Roughasguts
23-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi firey, yeah that should be the strongest part off the hull, shouldn't be much stress there at all from normal boating.

That's what makes me think if your winch post is to low and is pulling your bow down hard, that along with trailering and flex could be doing the damage.

bay_firey
23-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Had another look just now and when I tighten up the turnbuckle on the wicnh post it does exert some downward pressure.
Roller is deinatley going to be dropped

bay_firey
23-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Got a bloke looking at it tomorrow morning.
Provided the dollars are right I am going to put the screws on to have it ready for the week end ??

On bended knee I will be begging more so that putting the screws on, I really don't want to have to dissapoint my son by pulling out of the outrigger group.

See what happens