PDA

View Full Version : Help with 25 hp Merc 4 stroke

gone_phishin
22-04-2007, 02:16 PM
G'day All

A couple of weeks ago I had a pile of steam come out of my telltail after coming off the plane and stopped the boat immediately. After a while I started her up as we well down river and had to try and get home, and she ran fine all the way back. Checked oil and telltail and oil was a bit low but not dramatically, so we used her for a week without any problems thinking that maybe I'd picked up a plastic bag on the intake while up on the plane and hadn't noticed the telltail not telling! Then last week after travelling at close to full throttle for about 2 kilometres she gave what felt like nothing more than a quick power cough and lost a bit of power then picked straight back up and went at full speed again til a bit further down when she did it again. When it happens there is a small cloud of smoke comes out of the exhaust underwater and comes up and drifts away off the surface of the water. Smells almost like burning rubber or plastic?!?!? It only happens when the motor has warmed up from an extended run at speed, while the rest of the time at idle or trolling speed there is no signs of problems. I have just come back off the water where I tried a few different planing speeds to see if it happened quicker or slower and it did the same thing again no matter what planing speed i'd do. If I left it off for a few minutes, she'd run for the couple of k's again before doing it again. I have been trying to get it booked in to a mechanic but so far without success. Any ideas from anyone please??

Cheers
Geoff

blaze
22-04-2007, 02:26 PM
maybe a backfire or mistimed firing stroke, could well be some electreonic spark management system playing up.
cheers
blaze

gone_phishin
22-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks Blaze,

I hope that's all it is! I don't want to spend a fortune on it with the new boat coming soon!

Cheers
Geoff