PDA

View Full Version : One step closer to seaworthy!

Poodroo
21-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi all, for those who have been following my threads about getting myself on the water here is a recap. Have now got the boat licence, have started work on the tinnie and sussed out the minor gearbox problem which is linkage related (amazing that they use the smallest split pins to hold them together) and today I went on the hunt for a new trailer which started off pretty disappointingly however I finally found a company that was helpful and reasonably priced and more than happy to do the right thing. I am now the proud owner of a new Dunbier trailer which will be picked up Monday arvo. Wello, we have a new contender. ;D The tinnie doesn't look the flashest but it will float. Anyone out there know about repainting tinnies? :P

Regards,

Poodroo

finga
21-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Looks like I have you over a barrel :D
I have the bloody motor.
What's it worth to ya!!! :grin:

Poodroo
21-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Looks like I have you over a barrel :D
I have the bloody motor.
What's it worth to ya!!! :grin:

Well it looks like you may have me over a barrel to a degree Scotty so you can name your price and I will see if it is fair enough. If not fair then I can just see where a 25 Mariner can fit and I'll get another motor. Lol ;D Hey are you interested in the old trailer because if not it may well end up finding its way to the tip or being cut up and slowly disposed of. May even put it up on the forum as a giveaway perhaps to see if someone can use it.

Cheers,

Poodroo

Kerry
21-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Paint .... tinnies, Ahhhh what ya want to paint it for? Suppose re-paint says it all? once a painted tinnie always a painted tinnie, should never paint tinnies! What for? No reason to paint tinnies unless one wants something to scratch and corrosion to hide under and flake off :)

Kleyny
21-04-2007, 06:55 PM
that old trailer wouldnt happen to have 13" wheels by any chance.
My old man is looking for some 13" rims (and of course the hubs) to get rid of the 8" rims.
Maybe we could work something out.

Glad to see it the gear issue was something simple.

Neil

Poodroo
21-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Paint .... tinnies, Ahhhh what ya want to paint it for? Suppose re-paint says it all? once a painted tinnie always a painted tinnie, should never paint tinnies! What for? No reason to paint tinnies unless one wants something to scratch and corrosion to hide under and flake off :)

Well I didn't have much choice in the matter as that is how it came when I bought it. The price was right. It is a 70's vintage Quintrex and the paint has gone chalky. I really would like to remove the paint but don't like the idea of paint strippers. Any ideas would be welcomed. Perhaps sand blasting? Is blasting expensive? Anyone know?

Poodroo

Kerry
21-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Nah wouldn't sand blast it? But does sound like a lot of elbow grease in cutting back the old crap and trying to get a take with new etch and paint. Once painted always going to be one of those "ongoing" things but the more time spent rubbing it back now might reduce things in the future?

So easy to paint so hard to look after!

Poodroo
21-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Nah wouldn't sand blast it? But does sound like a lot of elbow grease in cutting back the old crap and trying to get a take with new etch and paint. Once painted always going to be one of those "ongoing" things but the more time spent rubbing it back now might reduce things in the future?

Yeah I might start it ASAP before the motor comes back. Will be easier to work with it motorless I should think. The reason I feel a need to repaint it is when I re-register it the new stick on rego numbers are not going to like adhering to the old chalky paint and more importantly the Ausfish stickers. Might as you say rub the whole lot back and paint over it. Any paint job would be better than what is on there. The underside is a dark blue but the upper surfaces are done in white. Will probably leave the bottom and just mask it off and repaint the white sections.

Poodroo

Poodroo
21-04-2007, 09:21 PM
that old trailer wouldnt happen to have 13" wheels by any chance.
My old man is looking for some 13" rims (and of course the hubs) to get rid of the 8" rims.
Maybe we could work something out.

Glad to see it the gear issue was something simple.

Neil

Hey there Neil. I tried to PM you but for some reason can't do so. Do you have PM's blocked? Anyhow the old trailer the tinnie is on doesn't have 13" rims however you might still be in luck. My brother Scalem not that long ago invested in a new swiftco trailer for his 15 foot Mustang. The original idea was that the old trailer that he had albeit too big for my tinnie still could have had the back boxing (which is severely rusted out) cut off and shortened to suit the tinnie so I was going to buy his old trailer and look at doing that however I started to look at the rollers which all needed replacing, then saw the springs which were FUBAR and the u-bolts holding the axle in place are so badly corroded they are becoming part of the boxing. I abandoned the idea of working with that idea as it was going to be too much work. Now here is where your luck kicks in. My brother's old trailer not only has 13" rims but they are good gal rims. He also has a spare which is just a standard rim but a good spare. All wheels have tyres on them too. Just give Scalem a PM mate and I am sure he will be happy to talk to you about them. I know he put the new wheels on there not too long before he got the new trailer so they are still worth some dollars to him. He will eventually scrap the rest of the trailer and just sell off the useable parts like lights etc. I still have his trailer at my place if you want to organize to have a look but I will be organizing soon to tow the trailer(still with 6 months rego) back to his place because the last thing I need is for my place to look like a wrecking yard for boat trailers. ::) Some more spares worth mentioning is there is at least one or two spare hubs already pre-packed with grease and a pair of bearing buddies. I have it all at my place at the moment.

Regards,

Poodroo

Wayne_Red
21-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Poodroo
I fully stripped the paint off an old 474 stacer in 6 hours using a 7" scouring pad on a 7" sander/buffer. Took the old paint off great and does not mark the ally. "Clean and Strip" made by 3M available from industrial suppliers like blackwoods or similar. I used about 4 of them from memory. They are about 20mm thick.
Regards Wayne

Poodroo
21-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Poodroo
I fully stripped the paint off an old 474 stacer in 6 hours using a 7" scouring pad on a 7" sander/buffer. Took the old paint off great and does not mark the ally. "Clean and Strip" made by 3M available from industrial suppliers like blackwoods or similar. I used about 4 of them from memory. They are about 20mm thick.
Regards Wayne

Good stuff Wayne. Thanks for sharing the info. Have to do something with the old paint and I think it would be ideal to bring it back to its old glory. Will look into that.

Poodroo

finga
22-04-2007, 04:28 AM

Don't know about that ongoing bit Kerry.
My dad's 70 model quinny is painted. Been painted since 1970 and still has a shine.
Mine has been painted over 2 years and is as good as new.
I've also seen 2 year old unpainted tinnies ready for the scrape yard with electrolysis all over so how is that explained?
Modern paints makes the tinny so easy to clean and if I've spent so much time thinking about what I want and then building it I want it to look good especially as I'm the one sitting in it.
Making it easy to clean is also a welcome at the end of the day. A spray with water, a spray with truck wash leave on a while whilst cleaning the fishing gear and hose off. Done. Easy as and looks a treat.
If painting is such a problem on tinnies (or alloy) why do they paint Landrovers or any other number of cars?? What about outboards?? They're all painted and seem to last (pending levels of care)
The SIII we did up a few years ago had paint from the 60's and it took some getting off.
It's all to do with how you look after them (painted or not) and how they're prepared and painted.
My little tinny sometimes gets launched 3 times a day and in busy periods only gets washed once a week. Hasn't done it any harm.
An unpainted tinny may have a lot of stains in it after a week of fishing unwashed.
Just like anything else in the shed. If you don't look after it it's going to slowly self destruct.
I'll admit I wouldn't get most of the mass producing manufacturers to paint my new boat but I'd paint it anyways by someone who knew what they were doing.
So it short....IMO bunkum about not painting a tinny.
I like my tinny painted ;D

Kleyny
22-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Poodroo,
Thanks for the info.
I'll talk to the old man today and PM scalem if he keen.

Neil