PDA

View Full Version : how to cut up cobia? fillet or steak?

deathstar 3
21-04-2007, 12:19 PM
We got 2 nice cobia off mooloolaba today and would like to now the best way to cut the fish up.

Fillets or steaks?

Any help would be great!!

Thanks john

kingtin
21-04-2007, 12:30 PM
We got 2 nice cobia off mooloolaba today and would like to now the best way to cut the fish up.

Fillets or steaks?

Any help would be great!!

Thanks john

Depends on your taste buds. If you fillet, you can skin 'em which removes any "strong" taste permeating the flesh, from the skin.

Steak 'em, and skinning isn't such an easy option.

Personally, I can't stand the taste of mackerel steaks, but otoh, would crawl over Salma Hayek to get to a mackerel fillet. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_9_16.gif

That said, I know a lot of folk who prefer their fish steaked and in my case, halibut is a prime example of fish that tastes better steaked. Cobia, I prefer filleted.

kev

ffejsmada
21-04-2007, 12:39 PM
To be honest I've never steaked a Cobia.

All the Cobes I've caught have been filleted.

My PB Cobia is 37kg and it was filleted. You'd need a chainsaw to steak a sucker that size.

There is no reason you couldn't steak a smallish one though.

Cheers.

krazyfisher
21-04-2007, 02:12 PM
fillet that how I always do them and I perfer them that way

imnotoriginal
21-04-2007, 02:13 PM
I agree, if they're bigger you're going to need a hacksaw to get through that fishbone to steak them, and taking the skin off would definitely be a plus. Very firm flesh, let us know how you like it.
Joel

Lucky_Phill
21-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Definately fillet and there is a special way to do this.

This was shown to me by another Ausfisher who does this with mackerel. ( hey Roz ! )

Get the offsider to hold the fish up by the tail and let the nose rest on the ground. Then cut through the tail section of the fish to start a ' fillet ". What this does is let gravity do most of the hard work by allowing it to fall away from the frame as you slice off the fillet.

The skin is tough as old boots, but the flesh tastes great. Don't waste the meat on the outside of the ribcage, plenty there.

I then slice back through the large fillet at an angle to create the portion size fillet that aren't too thick.

Can you post up what contents you find in the stomach of the Cobe !!!

Cheers Phill

ffejsmada
21-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Lucky Phil- Can you post the gut contents of the cobia......

This is the gut contents out of a big cobia I got a few years back, no wonder they call them crabeaters

5 - 5 spot crabs
1- Small stingray
1- Leatherjacket or Trigger Fish
A bit of unidentified rubbish and my bait, the bonito strip!

Cheers, Jeff

Gilligan
21-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Depends on your taste buds. If you fillet, you can skin 'em which removes any "strong" taste permeating the flesh, from the skin.

Steak 'em, and skinning isn't such an easy option.

Personally, I can't stand the taste of mackerel steaks, but otoh, would crawl over Salma Hayek to get to a mackerel fillet. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_9_16.gif

That said, I know a lot of folk who prefer their fish steaked and in my case, halibut is a prime example of fish that tastes better steaked. Cobia, I prefer filleted.

kev

I would crawl over Salma to eat broken glass;D ;D ;D
zig

bushbeachboy
22-04-2007, 05:22 AM
I'll just take Salma Hayek thanks, you lot can keep your fish. I wonder if she's a good boat cleaner?

deathstar 3
22-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help.

Phill - In one there was a whole squid about 15cm long.

John

roz
22-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Cobia is also known as "crab eater" in some parts of Aus.

They have skin similar to hide, even smaller ones.

IMO Do yourself a favour and fillet, you could however cut off some steaks from the thick end just so you can try both, the latter will be hard work if they are bigger cobes.

I was lucky, I used to live near a local butcher who had a spare bandsaw, but it always helped to have the fish part frozen, I would really hate to have to steak one by hand with knife & hacksaw.

I've seen Phill has posted the "roz's patented method of filleting long fish"!!!

Good luck with it & well done on your catch of two nice cobia.

cheers r.