PDA

View Full Version : towing boat

Wahoo
21-04-2007, 05:28 AM
will soon be picking up new boat, just need some advice
picking up the boat from Brisbane and heading back up to Cairns, now the boat will not have a motor on the back of it
it will be strapped down, but should i put in some extra weight in the back of the boat??
or will it be ok as it is?

ohh the boat is a 6m platey

Thanks
Daz

finga
21-04-2007, 05:33 AM
Just watch the weight distribution. ie not too much weight on the drawbar.
I wouldn't bung some ballast in as it may move and damage the finish on the new tinny. Oops did I say tinny, I meant platey. ;)
I'd be moving the suspension forward before bunging in the ballast.

Wahoo
21-04-2007, 05:56 AM
Just watch the weight distribution. ie not too much weight on the drawbar.
I wouldn't bung some ballast in as it may move and damage the finish on the new tinny. Oops did I say tinny, I meant platey. ;)
I'd be moving the suspension forward before bunging in the ballast.

LOL thanx Finga

yes tow ball weight would be an issue i did not think about :-/
i am now woundering if i can move the winch post back a bit and that will move the boat back till i get the right weight up the front

Daz

finga
21-04-2007, 06:07 AM
then all your rollers would be out of whack

Wahoo
21-04-2007, 06:20 AM
then all your rollers would be out of whack

arrr shit, yeh something else i did not think about http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/4xgold0/smackhead.gif

fez
21-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Self Draining Floor Daz?

If not maybe bungs in and water to add weight, yes it will slop around a bit but the majority would be down the back I would assume.

Just a thought.
Fez

Wahoo
21-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Self Draining Floor Daz?

If not maybe bungs in and water to add weight, yes it will slop around a bit but the majority would be down the back I would assume.

Just a thought.
Fez
yes Fez, have thought of water, then i thought what would happen if i had to hit the brakes hard for some reason and all the water rushes foward, alot of things has crossed my mind from sandbags to even takeing the motor down with me and fitting it down there (just bolt the motor on)

Daz

ozbee
21-04-2007, 08:46 AM
couple of bags cement quick and easy

ozbee
21-04-2007, 08:50 AM
dual wheel trailer probably not worth worry about .strap main thing

FNQCairns
21-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Bolt a spare Verado on for the trip up :)

Then you can use it as the spare anchor when you get home......:) Nah just mucking, they are pretty trick.

As long as the hitch is not banging around which it will not be and as long as the tow vehicle springs don't look like there is 700kg in the back. Twin axels are pretty forgiving with weight distribution compared to single axels but common sense and just a suck to see I guess.

I did the same thing a few moths ago, if you don't already know 22hours roadtime from Cairns should see you with big bankcheck in hand:) Took 2 hours to get the trailer setup correct for the hull before the tow home.

good luck in your adventure daz.

cheers fnq

chainsaw
21-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Crackerjack, No doubt you have thought of having it freighted up. Have done that trip plenty of time from TSV towing a 22ft van, OK when you have plenty of time and regular stops. Weigh up the cost of fuel (especially on the way back) your time, wear & tear on your vehicle (maybe a windscreen, no, no). Consider if truck coming back which could tow it. All diferent ways.

Rod

Hamish73
21-04-2007, 11:45 AM
I got quoted about $500 to freight a 5.5 boat on a trailer from townsville to Brissie a while ago. Would cost that much to drive down and pick it up I reckon

Mr__Bean
21-04-2007, 11:57 AM
First of all, what is the tow vehicle?

I towed my (motorless) 8 metre platey around behind a landcruiser and it was fine.

- Darren

Wahoo
21-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Crackerjack, No doubt you have thought of having it freighted up. Have done that trip plenty of time from TSV towing a 22ft van, OK when you have plenty of time and regular stops. Weigh up the cost of fuel (especially on the way back) your time, wear & tear on your vehicle (maybe a windscreen, no, no). Consider if truck coming back which could tow it. All diferent ways.

Rod
yes have priced freight and it come in at 12-1500 $$$
time is not a prob at this stage as i have 4 weeks off from when i leave so i have ample time to fit it out when i get back
thanks
Daz

Wahoo
21-04-2007, 12:12 PM
First of all, what is the tow vehicle?

I towed my (motorless) 8 metre platey around behind a landcruiser and it was fine.

- Darren

Darren i have a GU Patrol ute so will be good
Daz

Mr__Bean
21-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Darren i have a GU Patrol ute so will be good
Daz

Agreed,

Patrol ute should take that easily.

- Darren

gawby
21-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Daz,
The idea of putting water in the hull is just beyond belief. This would give you a load that would move forward then back and side to side.

With your patrol and a 2 axle trailer yuou should be more than good.

I travel the highways everday of the week and i have seen on numerous accasions what you are about to do and they do it without any problems.

Good tyres and tied down properly, checked wheel bearings, lights which is all common sense is good pretravel insurance.

Graeme

copie
21-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Hey Daz having previously owned platey's i dont think you should add any ballast at all. I would just check the ball weight (can use bathroom scales) and i would assume your trailer is a multi roller with fixed keel rollers down the middle as all plate mono hulls should be on. Insure you have a safety chain on the winch post attached forward and backward, and a good quality 2" strap across the boat behind the rear wheels of the trailer done up tighte. Oh make sure you add some soft padding between strap and boat. (old sheep skin seat covers or T-shirt material works a treat). You wont have a problem and good luck with the new project. MARK

Poodroo
21-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Hey there Daz. Before you head back to Cairns you should meet up with a few of us. If you want we could throw some "Special" recipe chicken on the barbeque for you. ;) I was going to suggest a couple of 20 litre sealed drums filled with water to put in the boat for the trip home but you would need to BYO water as we don't have much of it left here and can't afford to have you migrants stealing it. ;D ;D

Poodroo

seatime
21-04-2007, 08:37 PM
completely agree with gawby and copie, why would you add ballast ??
after the donk is fitted, then you balance the trailer. you'll have enough weight to tow without adding more, can't see how ballast will help it tow on a tandem.

Flex
22-04-2007, 11:05 AM
The small amount of weight difference in your boat without an outboard is insignificant, Id seriously question the integrity of your trailer otherwise.

If it was me I would simply tow it as normal. Remember your average bloke sticks about 100-200kg of gear in their boat to go fishing, which would = roughly the same weight distribution as an empty hull with no outboard on the same trailer

Greg P
22-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Daz - I think I saw your boat yesterday while I was picking up some fence posts - looks nice.

Dont worry about the water (wtf ??? :o), they will just need to ensure the weight on the tow hitch is correct and strap it down as mentioned. Weight on the hitch should be more more without the engine so that will be a bonus for the journey up.

Good outfitting when you get back

Cheers

Greg

Wahoo
22-04-2007, 02:46 PM
ok, thanks alot guys for your advice, trailer is a new belco so should be good

Poodroo, would like to catch up, will have father inlaw traveling with me, leaveing cairns on a Wednesday and then leaveing Bris on Saturday / Sunday

Greg, was the boat at Burpengary?

thanks once again PPL great to get some good advice

Daz

seatime
22-04-2007, 03:18 PM
you won't have any probs with a Belco, they made up a swing away surf bar for my trailer for beach launching, very professional.

Crooked
22-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Daz,
I wish I had your problem, trying to decide how to tow my new BIG platey, with or without the nice big shiny Verado.

I don't think I can add anything that hasn't already been said, so good luck and we'll see you flash by Townsville on your trip.

cheers, Evan

GAD
22-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Depending on what size of boat and how heavey the hull is , but if it is of some size it will already have enough weight but to put some weight in the back why not just get and esky or two fill them with water and the tie them in down the back and take it steady, should be good . hope you have a safe trip picking up the boat cause I have towed a trailer back from Briz and boy there are some real ignorant people on the road.

Greg

Greg P
22-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Daz - yeah mate it was - they were very busy lads by the looks of it.

Wahoo
23-04-2007, 12:15 AM
maybe im just stressing to much as i have never towed a 6m boat over that distance, all the advice that has been given has been read over and over
thanks again fellas ;)

Daz

Greg, yep that would be my tinny, good to hear you think it looks good ;)