PDA

View Full Version : blue fin tomcat

Damo88
20-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Hi All,

I am in the market for a new boat, i have my eyes on the new 4.75m blue fin tomcat.
From what ive seen and read this seems to be a boat that would suit my needs, mainly plastic and fly fishing shallow reefs of peel, some canal work, rainbow, and inside moreton for pelagics. oh, dont forget taking the wife and 2 dogs for days on the bay - in comfort.

i am very fond of the layout, ie. front + rear casting deck, 90lt live well, side console, 80lt fuel tank, bow mount bracket for electric, etc. and you can stick a 90hp 4 stroke on it

I would like to know (without going for test drive just yet) how the hull performs in choppy conditions, say 15 to 20 knots. Or in any conditions. does anyone own or driven these boats and what was your opinion (not sure is hull design is same as other blue fins).

is the bow stable to fish from??

is it a wet boat??

ive been told that quintrex hulls (hornet trophy) are better, but a quintrex dealer wouldnt say otherwise would he. i cant stand the layout on these boats and the storage space below front deck IMO very average.

also wondering if people prefer suzi or merc 4 strokes??
the suzi is cheaper to buy and service, quieter and a 5 yr warranty opposed to 3.
performance wise?????

thanks, Damien

Deiter
20-04-2007, 09:09 AM
G'day Damien, and welcome to the site.

I have had nothing to do with Blue fin boats, so can't help you on that one. In my experience with Quintrex, pretty poor ride for size if you ask me, but they build to a price and that's their business.

I think you will find that you wouldn't want to be in any 4.75m boat on the bay in a 15-20knt blow. Any tinnie (especially pressed alloy, Quintrex, stacer etc.) is going to flog you to death in a decent chop.
You might handle it if by yourself or with a mate, when you can give it a bit more throttle, hang on, and try flying from one crest to the next, but try doing that with the missus on board and it will likely be the last time you get her out on the boat.

Not helping really am i.

On the subject of motors, Suzuki by a mile. They have gotten these right.

Cheers,
Damo

ozbee
20-04-2007, 10:19 AM
blue fin are good value for money i have a 4.5 predator yes they are sometimes a wet boat but what isnt in that size also have a 4.5 hornet trophy lying in the grass in the back yard, blue fin is a far better allrounder sits a lot better at rest in a swell hornet will get the odd wave over the nose anchored in swell its better suited for creeks neither will match a plate but theblue fin not bad.

bluefin59
20-04-2007, 03:34 PM
I also have the predator great boat go for atest ride in one your after and see what you think maybe theo at MrTS tinnies can help you ,as far as wet goes i dont have a problem unless i am driving across the cho in the bay and the wind blows it in but you will get that wiyh any open boat anyone who tells you different is wrong great tough boats have a good look ...8-) 8-) 8-)

nigelr
20-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi Damo.
Have to agree with Deiter.
Any tinny that size in 20 knots, not a pleasant experience, IMHO.
I'd go so far as to say, if the wind is at 20 knots, an experience to avoid, even!
Not necessarily dangerous, but rather uncomfortable, for me at least.
I'd choose the Suzi over the Merc, but I'd seriously check the lighter weight Etec 90, as an option.
Possibly a few more $$$$$$ tho?
Cheers.

Spaniard_King
20-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Damo, check out the new 90 Honda, you maybe pleasantly supprised

Garry

Plasticin
20-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Don't mean to be rude but what are you looking at for the tomcat with the 90hp suzi? Are you putting an electric on it? How do you think that sides will go with wind in the canals?

Just asking coz I am wondering whether or not to get rid of my v-nose punt to chase more of the pelagics.

Cheers Scott

G. OShea
20-04-2007, 07:54 PM
i got a blue fin wildcat wich is the smaller verion 4.35 ( the tomcat is only longer at the front) and it's awesome me and my mate can stand shoulder to shoulder up the front and the boat hardly moves, it's great in rough water unlike the hornets and you don't get wet at all even in a big dam chop at full speed ( 62km/h)unless there is a big cross wind blowing the water back at you form the side . been tournment bass fishing in the old 475 hornet and they were a shit ride and you got wet, very wet even in a small chop. Motor wise go for a Merc optimax, 2stokes are still better and you will get better performance and fuel economy

Damo88
20-04-2007, 07:55 PM
thanks for your input guys, greatly appreciated. Its a big decision!

this boat is actually a plate boat so may be able to withstand rougher weather. its always good to know how a boat handles in the rough stuff because you never know when you will be in it. As you would know its often hard to leave when the fish are biting but the wind gets stronger. i am assuming because of the deeper hull design than mako's and quintrex the blue fin would be superiour in these conditions.

Plasticin, your not being rude mate. this boat teamed up with 75hp 4 stroke merc & lowerance gps/sounder (no electric) $25k boat show price. i think they are usually $27k

i currently have a stessl 3.7 vagabond decked out as far as i can go (platforms, gps, RT55, 25hp yamaha) too many trips to peel resulted in large cracks and busted ribbing. Damn good excuse for a new boat i say!!

as for the size in canals? look at the pro's in the abt fishing large boats. for me i think its a compromise. i definately wont be able to electric in and out of tightly mored boats or under pontoon bridges.

cheers guys