PDA

View Full Version : what size anchor line?

abbot_86
19-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi guys,
Just purchased a 5mt Ally Craft C/Console. I'm slowly sorting it out, new switches, fuel line etc, etc.
Will be ready to launch shortly.;D

What I would like to know is, how thick should my anchor line be?
I'm planning on buying 150 metres, but a bit unsure of thickness.
Can anyone advise please.
Thanks in advance.;)

boney-leg
19-04-2007, 09:05 PM
8mm should be okay for a boat that size but I use 12mm because it is easier on the hands when pulling it in.

bootyinblue
19-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Bingo... 12 mm silver rope is the go. Easy on the hands, cause of the larger diameter.

As far as anchor chain goes, there are 4 million posts on here with opinions from 1/2 length of boat to about 10 metres in length.

I would say 3 metres of a medium link chain.

But you watch the thread take off now...

punta
19-04-2007, 09:23 PM
I would agree 8mm is ok but what depth are going to fish.With a boat that size you can get to deeper grounds and would probably find 150m a tad short,if you fished 100m you would need more.If you decide on say 200-300m of rope i would advise you go to 10mm,you think when you buy a boat that i will never get out there but once confident in your set-up you will realise deeper grounds ain't that far away.Hope this helps,my only other tip would be invest in a anchor yanker.

Marlin_Mike
20-04-2007, 05:02 AM
Woohoo, another good Ally Craft owner.

Abbot_86, I have the Ally Craft 5.1mt Reef Prince Centre Concole. Great boat, serves me well, and I look after her. You need any pics etc or help, give us a PM. Where you located?

I have 10mm silver rope, with 3.5mts of chain on the end. Works fine and is OK on the hands when pulling it in. I only have 90mts on the boat at the moment, but have another 100mts in the shed to add to it.
Cheers

Mike

bushbeachboy
20-04-2007, 06:13 AM
Go the 12mm. It's much easier on the hands. Don't skimp on the chain, it keeps the anchor at the right angle to grip. I would go a metre of chain for every metre of boat. Gives you a bit of a workout too.;D Definitely lots of rope.
Cheers mate

STUIE63
20-04-2007, 08:08 AM
Go the 12mm rope and 150 meters you can always put a eye in the end of your rope and shackle another 50 meters on it works for me but definately get an anchor retriever as it is a long waqy to pull in 150m or more.
Stuie

ozbee
20-04-2007, 10:01 AM
signet have silver rope you get a 150 mtr roll for the price a 50 at boat yards go 12 mm otherwise sore hands . strong enough to tow or be towed also.

abbot_86
20-04-2007, 07:27 PM
thanks guys for all your great advice,
PUNTA- i think you have a very good point there but i think my anchor well would be overflowing with 200-300m or rope, i may need to work something out there, cheers
MARLIN MIKE- that would be great to see some pics of your set up, i dont think i can pm yet as i havnt posted enough posts,i would also like to see some detailed pics of how you have your bait board set up ,it looks like a beauty cheers mate. abbot...

No Fear
20-04-2007, 07:42 PM
100 metres will be heaps, just buy good rope, cheaper stuff tends to float thus requiring more chain therefore harder to lift in the boat with the ball.......... good 10mm I use with my 5m CC, no dramas and have given her a few good tugs whilst retrieving her with the ball....a good anchor is a certainty too... depends what sort of bottom but thats a whole new thread also......

davez104
21-04-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm going to dissagree with everyone here and say you should go for 8mm nylon rope. It's stronger than 12mm silver, easier to handle and you can fit heaps of it in your anchor well. The bit about the 12mm being easier on your hands is hogwash if you buy or make a simple anchor yanker. Nylon rope is a bit dearer, but it's worth it for sure.

Dave.

abbot_86
21-04-2007, 07:47 PM
thanks dave , big call but something to take into consideration, id be interested to see what others think of your idea, cheers abbot

andrew&lucy
21-04-2007, 10:28 PM
dear abbot 86 l have 6.8mt boat have only ever used 9mm silver rope.andrew

seatime
21-04-2007, 10:49 PM
would agree and disagree with davez104, nylon is much better as anchor rope, but, it's more than a bit dearer, it's a lot dearer. still, it will outlast, and out hold silver (polyethelene) rope. there are different grades of silver too, cheap or proper, Kinnears is the proper silver to get, cheap silver is slippery, hard on your hands and not as UV resistant. if u have the coin, get nylon, it'll last the time and be cost effect long term if u plan on deep anchoring regularly.

davez104
22-04-2007, 01:19 AM
Just from BIAS catalogue, 12mm silver rope $90 for 100m, 8mm Nylon rope $116 for 100m, Don't think thats too bad.

Dave.

abbot_86
22-04-2007, 05:11 PM
thanks for all your help guys, i bought 150m of 10mm silver rope yesterday and it got a workout today and seemed to be fine, thanks again, abbot

stingau
04-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Wat would be the minimum size NYLON rope that cold be used on a 4.7m f/glass in moreton bay. The reason for the question is there is a remote control elec anchor winch but it comes preoaded with 100m of 5mm nylon. I think 5mm is to small but im hoping that I can reload it with say 75m of 8mm.

The salesman assures me that 5mm is ok as it is nylon .....but.....

Any imput is appreciated

Hornet Rider
04-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Woohoo, another good Ally Craft owner.

Abbot_86, I have the Ally Craft 5.1mt Reef Prince Centre Concole. Great boat, serves me well, and I look after her. You need any pics etc or help, give us a PM. Where you located?

I have 10mm silver rope, with 3.5mts of chain on the end. Works fine and is OK on the hands when pulling it in. I only have 90mts on the boat at the moment, but have another 100mts in the shed to add to it.
Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, very nice looking boat, what 's the motor? Also, have been trying to contact you about your rods for sale. Are they still on the market?

cheers, Mark

Hornet Rider
04-06-2008, 11:15 PM
thanks guys for all your great advice,
PUNTA- i think you have a very good point there but i think my anchor well would be overflowing with 200-300m or rope, i may need to work something out there, cheers
MARLIN MIKE- that would be great to see some pics of your set up, i dont think i can pm yet as i havnt posted enough posts,i would also like to see some detailed pics of how you have your bait board set up ,it looks like a beauty cheers mate. abbot...

Hi abbot, glad you've got a solution to your anchor line. In the worst case situation, if you're caught out in the wide, swells & wind getting up, engine failure, no sea anchor, light fading & you want to hold position, then the advice of 1m chain for each m of boat length, 3:1 length of anchor rope for the depth your over & anchor options (plough, reef, sand/mud) is good old salt advice & worth considering. If you don't see yourself ever getting into a bad circumstances then minimal options (read less expensive options) can be selected. For me, I prefer to be accused of being over prepared, over kill I think my eldest son calls it, but then again when I was 24 I guess I was just as bullet proof & less wise of how fast sea states can change. I'm ever the optimist, but it really sucks when you get dragged into a gun fight & all you've got is a knife.8-) Put some pics up for you of another bait board option. Had it custom made by Rod a Batemate, Greenbank. Powerd coated ally, with 30 ltr live bait tank.

cheers, Mark