PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Purchase

davetammy
18-04-2007, 10:13 PM
G'day all,I am hoping you can help me out with advice about a new boat,this will be my first boat and I am hoping to get it right first time.I am after a boat that I can take out to the reef for some serious fishing overnight and also use with the missus and kids.There are 4 boats I have liked the look of,680 Patriot,Cruise Craft 680 outsider,Mustang 2250 Walkaround,640 Bar Crusher Cuddy.Thanks for your help.

crazboutfishin
18-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Davetammy,
I seriously reccomend looking at the Fisher Boats. Theres not much i can say about them but that they are teriffic. Ours is beeing built at the moment and i cannot wait. We had 2 test runs and were thrilled with both. You should really be considering these boats.

Cheers
Crazy

finga
19-04-2007, 05:16 AM
Pretty serious first boat which-ever the choice :o

PADDLES
19-04-2007, 07:14 AM
it might sound a bit silly but maybe for your first boat you should buy something a bit older or second hand. the only reason i say this is that you never know what you need until you get out there boating. i reckon boats are a funny thing, no matter what, they all compromise on something and ideally you need four of them, an open water fishing boat, a creek fishing boat, a gin palace and a tube towing fun boat. the boats you mentioned are all damn fine boats but you could lose a fortune if you buy the wrong one and have to try to sell it to buy the one that will do the business for you. just my 2c worth anyway. also consider who is going to use it and where you are going to use it too, ie. my mate and his wife struggle to get a 6.2m cruiser onto the trailer safely at our local ramp when there's a bit of tide running or a bit of wind. this won't be a problem at marinas or the more sheltered ramps. consider storage too, do ya have the space, and don't forget height under the garage. good size tow car will be needed for those ships too.

Smithy
19-04-2007, 09:38 AM
That is a nice choice to be confronted with. First thing is you have to settle on is glass or alloy as in your list you have 3 glass boats and one platey. From there it gets more difficult. What is your budget. I would spend less and allow more money to decking the boat out with good electronics, trim tabs etc. Also go 4 stroke or direct injection. If you go an old 2 stroke you will regret it later. I have no personal experience with the Mustang or Barcrusher but I would go the 685CC over the 680HH if money wasn't the object. If things like getting a hard top are more important to you maybe the HH comes into contention. Do you like cats? I would also be looking at Fishers and Mclays if you decide on plate and don't discount Haines Signatures if you go glass.

davetammy
19-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks for your help fella's,although this will be my first boat i have had a bit of experience with the f/in laws boats.Specifically a 39foot 17ton displacement steel hull,and a 4.65 poly.As for launch that won't be a problem as there is a good ramp handy.I have read elsewhere that the bar crusher is a very good ride for a platey,but does it compare to a glass boat?Ride comfort is a major consideration for me due to very bad spinal problems.I am looking at a dual cab mitsubishi canter for towing.Also most of its travelling will be to reef off Townsville and surrounding islands.Again thanks for your advice and help,cheers Dave.

FNQCairns
19-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Normally it doesn't really matter the glass V alum debate but if you do have a problem that could be aggravated seriously by boating you really dont have any choice but to go glass. Plate boats have gotten better with a great help by overall weight but they still when it matters pail in comparison to a good riding glass boat, make no mistake.

Another thought is a twin hull, those things are almost custom made for our waters.

Possibly post a Q on the softest riding mono at cruise, also dont get talked into believing that variable deadrise hulls have a comparable ride to the older traditional hulls they dont, they have other advantages which makes them a fine choice though.

cheers fnq

PADDLES
20-04-2007, 07:02 AM
well you're certainly looking at the right setup then dave. here i was, thinking you hadn't been around boats at all and were jumping at one of the bigger trailerable boats you can get. good luck with your boat shopping.

Deiter
20-04-2007, 08:56 AM
G'day Dave, and welcome to the boards.

I had a good mate with a similar decision to make very recently. He narrowed his choices down to Cruise Craft 680 and Haines Patriot in same length. He wanted glass, so didn't bother with any plate options (though i think he should have).

Basically, he visited both factories and talked with the builders before committing.

He ended up going for the CC as it was a heavier hull (even the guys from Haines admitted it was laid up with more glass where it counts), giving a more forgiving ride for the family, which was his main priority.

He took delivery 2 days b4 easter and is wrapped. He went for a 225 E-tec on the back, and had it doing a leisurely 85kph on the bay in a short .5m chop.

Just to add, DON'T discount Fisher boats. Yes they are plate alloy, and in general platey's don't get the ride of glass, but i reckon they an exception to the rule. Whatever Col (the builder) does to those hulls works. THat and you also get the option of an infinately variable hull layout and list of options to suit what YOU want, making your boat unique and specific to YOUR requirements. Only down side may be that the word is getting out and the time from order to delivery is stretching daily.

Finally, whatever you do, make sure you get a ride in ALL your options.

Good luck, wish i had your dilemma.

Damo

baldyhead
20-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Wow! one would have thought that this is a Fisher Boat Forum?

Deiter
20-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Baldy, have you been on one, or even seen one in the flesh? I am only giving my honest opinion. I don't own one. Never have. Not even married into the family. But i have ridden in them, and unless you have, believe one thing - this time, the hype is true.

Damo

baldyhead
20-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Sure have mate. Actually spent hundreds of hours in a 5.3m one. In my humble opinion the one that I fish in all the time is no better than a Mission Magic or a Bar Crusher or a variety of others that I have fished in. There is no magic.
cheers

Deiter
20-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Fair enough, each is entitled to their opinion. I won't deny the Barcrusher either - i think they outperform equal size glass boats in many aspects.

Having said that, the ride aint everthing (really) and i feel that the stability at rest of the Fishers is a major drawcard also.

doublexl
20-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Allison 244 Ocean Angler....now Thats A Boat Worth Looking At Aswell

FNQCairns
20-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Also the yalta's, also the boat Cooky ownes -northbank?? nice and heavy for length and I think? not variable deadrise.

cheers fnq

Smithy
20-04-2007, 10:56 AM
244 Allison - we have been down that path before in this thread.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=65709&highlight=allison

Personally I would go cat, then Signature, then 685CC over the 680HH. Mustang? Dunno.

Greg P
20-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Sure have mate. Actually spent hundreds of hours in a 5.3m one. In my humble opinion the one that I fish in all the time is no better than a Mission Magic or a Bar Crusher or a variety of others that I have fished in. There is no magic.
cheers

Actually there is a big difference with the maxis - maybe you're carrying something else over to this thread ?

baldyhead
20-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Simply answering a question...No malice intended.;D

Wayne_Red
20-04-2007, 10:19 PM
I would throw the seafarers into the mix when considering all round fishing/family boats. Victory or vagabond. Well finished, strong, roomy and hold their money well.
Wayne

davetammy
21-04-2007, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the help and info everyone,I do like the look of the cruise craft and if the haines blokes reckon it is a better hull than their own,then I think I would have to agree.I was also looking at the 225 but in a suzy 4 stroke,anyone know much about them or if there is a better engine,also any opinions on the difference between 4 and 2 stroke as for performance over the years?Again I really appreciate the help and advice,thanks Dave.

BIG SUFF
21-04-2007, 10:04 AM
IMO the pick of the boats you have noted would have to be the Patriot by HH.
I went thru the same selection process last year and for my needs I settled on the Haines Hunter 650 Classic with a 200 Yamaha V-Max. I believe after looking at all the makes and more you have noted,the build quality and ride was what swayed me. Cheers.