PDA

View Full Version : Costs of Building Aluminium Boat

No Fear
18-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Hey guys,
I've been doing my own research but I thought I would pose the question to the real boating gurus of Australia.
2 Questions: Is it worth getting a custom built boat compared to something second hand or new?

What sort of price (just the hull) SHOULD I be looking at for a 6 metre alluminium hull? And what are some of the dangers of doing this, apart from getting a dodgy boat builder. I've seen some of the recent posts of boats getting built and I really like the idea of seeing your boat get built and knowing exactly whats in it.

Cheers

peterbo3
18-04-2007, 04:49 PM
I have a Fisher 6200 on order. Col is very busy - a good sign - & my delivery date is early Dec. As for used rigs, check Boatpoint or the Trading Post. I have not seen one Fisher for sale over a 3 month period. Noble Super V...... one or two older boats at near new cost. Riptide the same.
The are some older Sportfish & the like but they are still not cheap & there may be motor issues even after you have spent $40K. Electronics may also be suspect.
The ideal used plate boat would have a blown donk so you are only buying a hull & tlr. New Suzi or Honda with 5 year warranty........providing the hull will handle the weight.............;D ;D ;D ;D.

The advantages of new are many. You are getting a custom built boat exactly as you want it. Although most builders can help out with details & ideas that you would never even consider by yourself 8-) 8-).
As to the cost of a new hull - phone or email the builder ;) ;). Make sure you are seated though. ::) ::)

FNQCairns
18-04-2007, 05:47 PM
2 Questions: Is it worth getting a custom built boat compared to something second hand or new?

That's just too hard to answer but remember the moment you pay for a new boat either custom or mass produced, it is second hand:)

What sort of price (just the hull) SHOULD I be looking at for a 6 metre alluminium hull? And what are some of the dangers of doing this, apart from getting a dodgy boat builder. I've seen some of the recent posts of boats getting built and I really like the idea of seeing your boat get built and knowing exactly whats in it.

Cheers

For 6m $8000 pressed hull to I dunno whatever the manufacturer can pull - $30000? for a platey.
Nicer to see someone elses boat being built before you sign on the dotted line:)

cheers fnq

cbs
18-04-2007, 07:02 PM
You might have just asked one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions.

I'd suggest having a talk to a few builders to get a ball park figure based on your ideas.

Have you considered building the hull yourself? Sounds like your looking at this from a project point of view rather than a pick it off the shelf attitude.

cbs

PinHead
18-04-2007, 07:40 PM
I have a Fisher 6200 on order. Col is very busy - a good sign - & my delivery date is early Dec. As for used rigs, check Boatpoint or the Trading Post. I have not seen one Fisher for sale over a 3 month period. Noble Super V...... one or two older boats at near new cost. Riptide the same.

The are some older Sportfish & the like but they are still not cheap & there may be motor issues even after you have spent $40K. Electronics may also be suspect.
The ideal used plate boat would have a blown donk so you are only buying a hull & tlr. New Suzi or Honda with 5 year warranty........providing the hull will handle the weight.............;D ;D ;D ;D.

The advantages of new are many. You are getting a custom built boat exactly as you want it. Although most builders can help out with details & ideas that you would never even consider by yourself 8-) 8-).
As to the cost of a new hull - phone or email the builder ;) ;). Make sure you are seated though. ::) ::)

wow..I will certainly give you full marks for patience..I know I could not wait 8 months for a new boat.

peterbo3
18-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Pinhead,
It is not about patience. It is just the way it is. I would love to pick it up next week but.......................must wait my turn. However, I am in front of those who went to contract after me. I am comparing it to building a house, but hopefully without the dramas.

copie
18-04-2007, 08:39 PM
No fear give Jason a call tell him and check out www.offshoremarinemaster.com.au (http://www.offshoremarinemaster.com.au) 0438778330
MARK

Greg P
18-04-2007, 10:38 PM
All good things Peter ;);D;D;D;D

Mine starts soon :P:P:P:P:P:P

Pinhead,
It is not about patience. It is just the way it is. I would love to pick it up next week but.......................must wait my turn. However, I am in front of those who went to contract after me. I am comparing it to building a house, but hopefully without the dramas.

chris_s
19-04-2007, 08:15 PM
I have a 6.2m riptide currently being built and never had any doubts with the builder or his advice. As for custom/brand new or second hand, well each to their own. I know with mine, it will be mine.
One thing to keep in mind is that not all manufactures measure boats the same ie - mine is 6.2m, loa - 6.8m. Another brand i have seen was a 6.1m, loa - 6.3m.
Approx hull prices mid 20's but there alot of variables because custom is exactly that and its easy to add extras as you go. But i have certainly seen some good second hand boats. It all comes down to what you want to spend and what you want for the dollars. I have no regrets.