PDA

View Full Version : Colmslie ramp

kingtin
17-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Just trying to save myself a drive down recce. Does this ramp have a pontoon and if so, is it subject to strong tidal flow?

cheers

kev

bastard
17-04-2007, 08:08 PM
It does have a pontoon pretty good set up actually,very simillar to the grand hotels boatramp,i dont know about tidal flow though but depending on the tide direction the pontoon access way would stop most current.

jeffrey_h
17-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Kev, It does have a good pontoon and a beach on the upriver side, maybe a few loose rocks!
I don't think that the tide flow would be any problem, have used it 3 or 4 times. Not a very big carpark.
BUT watch out at low tide as the drop off at the end of the ramp is big and sharp. There is a vertical section of the pontoon rail that is painted orange, that is where the end of the ramp is, Feel for it if you are there at low tide.

Jeffrey

seatime
17-04-2007, 09:37 PM
most of the time it is a very user friendly ramp and pontoon, tho I have seen the pontoon writhing like a snake with a 20kt ENE'ly and a big ebbing tide. tricky drive-on that time. the pontoon has copped a bit of punishment from larger boat's use, cleats were loose last time. fenders are also a good idea for the passing wash.
other comments on the drop off at ramp end at low water, and limited parking are valid, it needs at least another 20 car/trailer spaces. can get busy on weekends.
It's a double lane with the pontoon on downstream side, unlike the Grand or others with the pontoon down between lanes. the beach is only really useable on a half tide and above with a large boat.

ellicat
17-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Kev, It does have a good pontoon and a beach on the upriver side, maybe a few loose rocks!
I don't think that the tide flow would be any problem, have used it 3 or 4 times. Not a very big carpark.
BUT watch out at low tide as the drop off at the end of the ramp is big and sharp. There is a vertical section of the pontoon rail that is painted orange, that is where the end of the ramp is, Feel for it if you are there at low tide.

Jeffrey

Wish this thread had been up a year ago. Upon returning from my maiden voyage my landbased mate was quite amused when I "discovered " the hole. So was his wife and his kids and my wife and my kids and everyone else that was at the ramp.

It is a good ramp though (if you like pontoon style)

Marlin_Mike
18-04-2007, 04:55 AM
Excellent ramp and pontoon, but can get busy on weekends with jet skis and families on the ebach.

Mike

copie
18-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, took the family for a run to the mouth and then back down to south bank. No problems launching or retreving although i would prefer a little more angle so i dont have to wet the car tyres.
MARK

kingtin
21-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the replies fellers. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_126.gif

Seems like this is another ramp out of bounds to me 2 hrs either side of low. I have to sink the trailer below the mud guards so with a 6.5 m rig, that is likely to drop me off the end of the ramp. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_10.gif

kev

seatime
21-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Yep, I wouldn't risk it with your Whit, seen a few come to grief there on a lowish tide.

kingtin
21-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Yep, I wouldn't risk it with your Whit, seen a few come to grief there on a lowish tide.

Yeah mate, went and looked at it today. that orange upright ain't too far down the ramp (2I/2hrs after high) and I reckon even launching then, the arse end of the trailer would be over the drop off............another hour and it would likely be the wheels. looked at scarborough and the kids and deckie love it.............looks like I gotta learn to drive on ::)

kev

Custom Welding Works
21-04-2007, 09:19 PM
I used to launch my jet boat at colmslie and no draft ,no problems.