PDA

View Full Version : First Service

fishin_till_late
17-04-2007, 02:11 PM
gday all

Earlier this year my dad and I purchased a 30hp Mariner. When we picked it up the dealer advised me to drop it off for a 20 hour service once i had completed 20 hours. Now i have done 20 hours but my dad has spoken to another salesmen (the bloke who sold us the motor left) who said there is no need for a 20 hour service, just drop it off for a 100 hour service. I'm somewhat confused I know everyone else I know who has bought a new motor has had an initial 10 or 20 hour service. I have looked through my manual and can't find anything that metions an initial 20 hour service. Should I get the motor serviced or not?? Does it void my warrenty if I dont??? I have a feeling the new salesman was a newie to the job and I'm not entirely sure on what his experience in the boating industry is like.

So the question is do you think I should save the money and not get it serviced??
Personally i would feel more comfortable to get the motor looked at and know its all in good nick but the old man doesnt seem to think the same.

cheers Jono

Blackened
17-04-2007, 02:28 PM
G'day

If in doubt, just do it.

May be worth a call to mercury marine and ask them, or study your book a bit better.

Dave

fishin_till_late
17-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Cheers Dave I'll ring mercury marine tomorrow.
I've read the book over and over but just can't find anything on 20 hour service.

ryank
25-04-2007, 07:29 PM
hey mate.
all they do is just check it over make sure it is running fine and take the gearbox bolts out one by one and grease them.

blaze
25-04-2007, 09:27 PM
get the service done, things that will be checked are if the gearbox has any water in the oil (can happen with a new motor), metal filings in gear oil (there may well be some manufactering swarf left in there), general tightness of bolts nuts etc. Cost should be around the $150.
cheers
blaze

JEWIENEWIE
26-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah, i agree with blaze. New motor, things tend to go through a settling period. May just need to tighten a few bolts a few simple checks, mine only cost $100 for a merc 30hp, gave me peice of mind and no warranty issues if something does go wrong.
Jewie

wags on the water
26-04-2007, 03:43 PM
I was told if the motor wasn't serviced after 10hrs it would void warranty. mind you a couple of hundred dollars (for piece of mind) isn't much when you spend $15k on a motor.

fishin_till_late
27-04-2007, 08:54 AM
yep the plan is to get it serviced
thanks for ya advice fellas