PDA

View Full Version : Removing Epoxy Without Damage!!

B_E_N
17-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Hi Just Wondering What Is The Best Way To Remove Epoxy From The Rod/runners Without Damaging The Rod. I Have A St Croix Fly Rod (fairly New) That Has Had A Dodgy Finish Put On It. Ive Taken Off Old Runners Before Where The Epoxy Is Bad But Never One Thats Max 5 Years Old. Are There Any Special Ways/chemicals Other Than A Sharp Knife Or Razor And Some Steadt Hands??

Cheers Ben

ldnicolai1@comcast.n
17-04-2007, 02:59 PM
The strongest solvent you will need is denatured alcohol. Others may delaminate the blank or dissolve the finish.

Often you can start at one end and catch a thread and unwrap it from under the finish. In this case the finish will be left like a snake skin with the thread pulled from under it.

Otherwise, you will need to razor off the old thread. First I wrap the blank on either side of the runner with tape so that a slipped razor won't damage the blank. Then I carefully cut through the finish on top of the guide foot. Then unwrap the old finish and thread.

Remaining finish can be removed by scrapping with a fingernail and attacking with alcohol. I found that a piece of bone also make an excellent scrapper that won't scratch the rod.

Good luck.