PDA

View Full Version : Marine Ply brisbane?

_Dan_
17-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Hi all,

I am chasing some marine ply for the new floor in my boat, and was wondering where to get some at a good price in brisbane?

And also whta thickness is suitable, i have a 4.3 tinny and what a full floor in it that will be strong enough to hold some pedestal swivel seats.

Cheers

Dan

Roughasguts
17-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Use structual Ply, and coat it with resin, or just a pourous under coat.

Marine ply is way to exspensive, and resin don't stick to it it's to oily.

FNQCairns
17-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Like Gut's said use CD grade the glue that binds the veneers together is identical to Marine but the wood used in Marine should be of a higher grade and it will have less voids, but still not worth the premium IMO.

Another thought is to use form ply the black phenolic coating does a great job of holding it all together and proofing but the edges need covering, I tested 15mm form ply left bare in a tinny I owned, treated rough left open to the elements betterthan 9 days out of 10 and was still ok after 8 years, no chance of that with CD grade or even marine possibly without further sealing.

15mm gives great structure to whatever you build and is I think around 20% heavier than 12mm which has a bit too much flex depending on what it is used for.

cheers fnq

Blackened
17-04-2007, 02:25 PM
G'day

There is a very very cheap ply place at thorneside, along the industrial estate adjacent to the trainline.

There is also mister ply, they are down towards underwood i think...

Coat the ply in a timber sealer by nortans, I forget the name but it's absolutly amazing stuff.

I agree, just use structual ply and in either 12 or 15mm, depending on what your underfloor structure is like.

Dave

Roughasguts
17-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Guess you wondering Dan, what the hell is it with marine ply why don't no one use it. Well it's good for the old bond wood boats that use to be around years ago. You paint them with Enamel, and that sticks quite well to the oily ply.

Then they tried glassing over a bond wood boats to help with the leaks, Pfffft just falls off the marine ply.

trueblue
17-04-2007, 03:08 PM
G'day Dan

I know its a long way from your place, but after checking prices around your end of town, call Janden wood products in kremzow rd Brendale and get a price from them. They are often worth the drive to get stuff at a better price, depending on how much you want.

alternatively, Waymar in thornside on railway parade.

Blackened
17-04-2007, 03:31 PM
alternatively, Waymar in thornside on railway parade.

G'day

Thats the one I was thinking of :)

Dave

Cloud_9
17-04-2007, 10:38 PM
marine ply isn't oily .
it's just a real smooth finish.
marine ply has 2 A grade faces. with A bond glue.
its intended uses are for timber boats that are ether painted or varished.
or alternatively dynaled (epoxy coating similar to glass, but the cloth isn't glass its a nylon type stuff)
Structural ply has crapier faces ranging from CC to DD
the norm is CD faces
1 face is a filled knot face and the other is a open knot face.
dont use resin to coat .
use a marine sealer of some sort. the edges are the most important bit to seal.
marine ply is not water proof. the glue is.
there is only 1 ply that is rot proof to some degree.
and thats CONTAINER PLY its 29mm think and its 29 veneers are all treated hard wood. 8x4 sheet weighs about 60KG's
Cheers Cloud 9

_Dan_
18-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Cheers all for the info,

I used be able to get it very cheap, my inlaws family owned the veneer mill in Kyogle up until it burnt down last year.

I think the 15mm stuff should suffice as i want to set some pedastel seats onto it.

i will post a thread on the progress i am making, should be interesting to learn and hopefully get some tips along the way.

Cheers

Dan