PDA

View Full Version : oil lights problem

yakka
17-04-2007, 07:30 AM
60 hp 2 stroke 1997 yamaha. went to start today and all three oil lights on dash (low, high and pressure) lit up and buzzer sounding. Plenty of oil, does it in any tilt position.
any theories

regards chris

Noelm
17-04-2007, 08:02 AM
I guess first off is to find out if the buzzer/sensor is faulty, you will have to find out if it goes closed when on, or open when on, then you can test it, then trouble shoot the oil system, but, try the very easy fixes first, like cleaning the oil bottle and lines, check fittings and stuff before you do any major surgery, OH and get a workshop manual if you do not have one.

Roughasguts
17-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Pull the float level sensor out of the oil bottle, sounds like the float has got stuck or sunk.

FNQCairns
17-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Problem might be real or might be pretend, throw 50:1 in the tank, evacuate the fuel lines and carbs by removing the carb bowl screws and pumping until the new fuel comes through then just use it, until the oil warning is sorted, disconnect the buzzer (be carefull of overheats, buy lotto ticket)/lights.

By the way as you use it keep a close eye on Km traveled and how much is used from the oil tank, then you can nail the problem in easy time.

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
17-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Yes FNQ is thinking, mark a line on the level of your oil bottle, a bit of premix won't hurt either, unless your motor is already smoking. Not going to hurt it just make idling a bit rough.

I mark a line on me oil bottle every time I go out, check it when I come back against the distance travelled from previous trips on the gps log.

It doesn't hurt to carry a oil bottle either with enough oil say 700ml to 1 litre to pour in your fuel tank (depending on capacity) in case you oil injection does fail one day.

FNQCairns
17-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Only just sort of thinking Gut's better to disconnect at the senders and possibly also at the powerpack to eliminate a fault that cuts back revs, best to keep the temp side of the buzzer working. Dont know the Yams yey.

Pretty keen Gut's keeping an eye on the oil level per trip, if it only saves you once......

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
17-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Hi FNQ, nah it's not that hard keeping an eye on the oil level. My average trip is 30 miles, and the oil level drops 20mm at the top end of the oil bottle, it's just a quick glance when I pop the hood.

I might have a problem though I love my machines, mainly cause I ain't got no Briggs and strattons any more.

yakka
18-04-2007, 10:45 AM
the problem was in the sensor in the oil tank. i took it out and slid it up and down with no chage to the lights and buzzer. for peace of mind i took it a marine centre here in Caloundra and after they spent some time checking it out found that the sensor was faulty.

thanks for the replies
regards chris