PDA

View Full Version : Flying with fishing gear. (baggage)

flick
16-04-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm about to do a trip up north and am struggling to find regulations in regards to baggage weights for fishing gear. I was under the impression that sporting goods were excluded from normal personal weight limits, but thought i'd ask here before going through the voice prompts at the airline.

Jim

blaze
17-04-2007, 07:18 AM
I wish
My advice Jim, would be ring your chosen airline and then get the answer confirmed by email, ya get the feeling my trust is waining
cheers
blaze

bung
17-04-2007, 07:22 AM
I have had no probs flying Virgin Blue with rods in a PVC tube, 7'6" long and 5" diameter, Sydney to Darwin/Rockhampton. Mates have gone with 8' rods ok.

Tony_N
17-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Nothing longer than 6ft in Jetstar (small containers for freight) 8ft x 100mm PVC fine with quantas and with Virgin last time I flew. Also no probs with reels and line as carry on luggage last time with quantas - but I have heard of people having problems with this. As Blaze suggests - get it in writing to be sure. Not sure what I'd do with 5 reels at the airport if they wouldn't let them through

Tony

robersl
17-04-2007, 08:07 PM
with jetstar i think it goes on the sizeof the plane i was reading a qantas book on the way to darwin had a bit about luggage for jetstar and differant plane sizes ie: 737 ect

shane

MickS
17-04-2007, 09:40 PM
i have just come back from up north. Flew to the whitsundays with Jetstar, and rod tube limit is 2.0 mts, Virgin were no problems.

Then we flew Qantas to Weipa, no problems. Some of our crew used the plumbing tubes, well over 2 mtrs and it all went well. One of our party carried his reels onboard, no problems, although I reckon checking them through is a bit safer.

Normal baggage weight applies.

When we left Weipa all the rods were listed as standby, which is normal practice incase the plane is to heavy. All our rods made it back OK.

Our frozen fillets made it back ok, although we only had one smallish box between 6.

I've been back 10 days, seems like a lifetime ago.

Did I happen to mention a mate and I caught 25 Barra on the last day flicking lures..oh what fun. The good ole B52, and Gold Bombers worked a treat, and my tackle box is full of all these very fancy and expensive lures I didn't use, Oh well.

Happy travels.

bung
18-04-2007, 02:34 AM
I reckon it's safer to have the reels as check-in.

When we flew up to Darwin a mate had his box of flies in his carry-on but was stopped at the security check point and told to take them as checked-in luggage! Apparently you can use a 1/0 as a stabbing implement?