PDA

View Full Version : registration numbers

BrettA
16-04-2007, 08:48 PM
my boat has an old painted registration number, I need to remove it and put on the new one - how would this be done?

I am thinking, yellow paint (yellow hull) over the old one and stickers for the new one?

is this the only way to do it, and if so what kind of paint and preparation do I need to do? Can I just use a tin of spray paint to go over the letters or should I get it done properly somewhere?

The other way that just popped up could be to use a big sticker with the new number on it and a non-transparent background?

Cheers,
Brett

blaze
16-04-2007, 09:36 PM
depends on what type of hull material, type of paint used for numbers. If it looks like a professionally done job on the numbers (done by a sign writer), the paint may well be removed with oven cleaner (to be tried on a section of hull that is not visable, a test), It may also be able to be removed with a razar blade, slow and painful.
cheers
blaze

banshee
16-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Have you thought of applying to the authorities to use the numbers that are allready painted on? It would be highly unlikely that they have been allocated to another hull.

BrettA
17-04-2007, 08:22 AM
she's a fibreglass hull - and I already have the new rego number :(

Cloud_9
17-04-2007, 10:51 PM
scrape numbers off with blade.paint doesn't stick tooo well on glass .
like blaze said itsa bit sloww but would be better job.
cloud 9