PDA

View Full Version : Awesome new Barra hardbodies

the_matrix
16-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi all,
Just thought I'd let you all know the new "Stiffy Boney Bream" has now hit the shelves.
Its a bibless minnow style lure that has proven itself as an incredible fish taker during trials, and I recently got some production models in the thick of it at Awoonga on some metre plus specimens.
Its shallow running, you can twitch it, slow roll it, suspend it (with sticky weight) or float them, very versatile. Casts a mile as well.
It comes standard with Owner hyperwire rings and STN-66 Owner hooks, its design is purely focused on impoundment Barra.
I have a tonne of confidence in these lures, they have caught fish when other lures when untouched during trials, and the production model finish is bloody awesome.
There is a deep diver in works, its not quite right yet but only a matter of time.
Will post some pics soon.
Check 'em out at your local tackle store.
Cheers
Jas

SeekingBarradise
16-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Cool Jas thanks for the heads up. Can't have enough lures ha thats it i'm going to the tackleshop tomorrow.

Can't wait to see what is looks like.

Cheers Lyndon

Big_Ren
16-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks Jas. What size are they....120? 150? How long did you get to trial them for.................looks like another trip to the tackle store for my weekly "hit". As they say, lures are the jewellery of fishermen....bring on the bling!

Cheers
Paul

skeeter
16-04-2007, 07:18 PM
120mm is the mark, looks it like a torpedo. Should be interesting to see how they go.

Obi _ Wan
16-04-2007, 09:09 PM
G'Day Jas,
Are these the one's called Bushies Stiffy? If so my local Tackle shop proprietor saw them at the Tackle Trade Show last year with Bushy and thought of me and ordered some. They arrived just before i took off for my two week Peter Faust trip in October last year.
I can vouch for the finish, bloody awesome however i did not catch anything with them. Tremendous action, noise, water thrown everywhere, a rattle, you can cast them a mile, i can see them catching a swag of Barra and just about any other fish. i reckon the big GT'S would love them. The conditions at Faust when i was there were very hard as a lot have agreed and i must admit that i fished harder with lures that i knew would catch fish.

Obi_Wan.

the_matrix
17-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi guys,
Skeeter I'd say you are thinking of the stiffy fizzer which has been on the market since last years AFTA show. This is a new shallow runner shaped like a boney bream. About 120-130mm long. 2nd addition to the range.

Paul, the most intensive trials of anything I have been involved in. 2 years worth of it to be precise. To get it exactly how we wanted it, then get it made, then re-test etc etc. Loooong process but the result will speak for itself.

Obi-wan, yep they are the ones mate, Bushy has started his own range of hardbodies, targeting them at specific fish with crossover applications. The one you took would have been the fizzer.
The stiffy fizzer is purpose built for Barra but Ive caught metre plus Queenies on them, Coral trout, Jobfish, GT's yata yata yata. The boney bream will be the same, the skys the limit what will eat it, but barra certainly are the target.

This new lure is quite simply the best Ive seen for some time. I have no financial involvement in this project, nor do I receive money from sales.
Its a concept I believe in, and it helps me learn as well.
I believe it has the potential to at least be as big as what slick rigs have been. When you see this thing flash from short rips or slow rolling it, you will see what Im on about.
During trials on a full moon recently, you could see the bloody thing flashing 30 metres off the side of the boat, awesome watching it flashing then a big blackout when it gets destroyed. Great hook-up rates too, cause theres no bib.
Super strong, think it will retail for about $16, kitted with all the good hardware.
Be interested to hear what you guys think of it once you see one.
Cheers
Jas

nuggstar
17-04-2007, 08:55 AM
please get pics i need to see this please

GPB
17-04-2007, 03:13 PM
seen them at BCF

banshee
17-04-2007, 06:19 PM
The rep produced some samples today,they look good and I can't think of anything offhand that is like them as all lipless cranks I know of tow off the top not the nose,should be a good twitching lure at a reasonable price.

RayB
18-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Does anyone have any pics?

TinarooTriumph
18-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Sounds good to me Jas!

Theo

nuggstar
19-04-2007, 08:52 AM
i think this is it, bushys new lure

Big_Ren
19-04-2007, 09:43 PM
That's them Nuggstar. Scored a couple last night. Bought 4 different colours.....awesome sheen on the lures...I can see how they would shimmer and flash under moonlight.....owner trebles and rings..nothing like a lure ready to go out of the box...about time!

Can't wait to swim one.

Cheers
Paul

Owen
20-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Does BCF stock them yet?
Couldn't find them the other day, but then I didn't know what they looked like.

the_matrix
20-04-2007, 08:13 AM
Owen,
Yes they do, either havent got them in yet or sold out.
They have only recently been released, so might not have hit the shelves at that particular store yet.
They look like a Boney bream with hooks hanging off it mate :)
Big Ren might be able to post a pic, if not I will in the next few days.
Cheers
Jas

Obi _ Wan
22-04-2007, 07:56 PM
I picked up some yesterday, four colours, got two of each. I am now ready for my next Barra fix.
As Jas says, they have a great finsh, almost holographic, hold them in the light and roll them around and see a rainbow.
From what i can see, they will become to a Barra fisherman what a Jackal became to a Bass fisherman. Can't wait to try them out.

Cheers,
Obi_Wan

McCod
23-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Cool lures but the buoyancy is very inconsistent at the moment as some sink & some float?? But there heaps cheaper than the Jap & US ones and the hooks are great for off the shelf lures...... Atached is a photo to show size.... the gold one sinks fast and the silver one floats.

Cheers Les

elephrez
23-04-2007, 03:27 PM
great looking lures

Owen
23-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Cool lures but the buoyancy is very inconsistent at the moment as some sink & some float?? But there heaps cheaper than the Jap & US ones and the hooks are great for off the shelf lures...... Atached is a photo to show size.... the gold one sinks fast and the silver one floats.

Cheers Les

I got a gold on the other day & it floats, so I'd say there's something wrong with that one of yours.
So far no fish on it, but the same can be said for all the other lures I've got :'(

the_matrix
01-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Mcod,
Take the one that sinks back to place of purchase mate, its obviously a dudd. As with anything mass produced, a few slip through the net.
They are meant to float, but I have some rigged as suspenders, and work a treat in those scenario's.
That may work for you, however if not take it back.
Cheers
Jas

cy_taylor1
01-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Hi,

Kerrin and I scored a fat 116cm and a 107cm Barra this morning on the Boney Bream before 7:30am.

We were testing it out at 5:00am at the boat ramp, when a big fish struck it near the boat! We weren't expecting that!

Well done Jas on creating this awesome lure with Bushy. As you say,
'effort brings results!'

The shine and action is awesome. It's an instant confidence lure!

Here's a photo!

Cy and Kerrin Taylor
Whitsundays QLD

mylestom
03-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Well thats another dozen barra lures for the next trip. The boys at that big tackle shop in Coffs Harbour? (Obviously not allowed to mention names) seem to like me dropping in. Something about if its new its worth giving it a try.

Will be really interested to see how it works on some of the other dams. Like up in the Timber at Monduran for instance.

Stop posting new lures, will have to buy a few new tackle boxes next. Running out of space.
Have to chuck out some of the old Nilsmasters and Vibrotails.

Will be interested to see how a few other fisherfolk go with these new lures.

A few reports would be great

Trev

Big_Ren
03-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Ah, top shelf fish as usual Cy and Kerrin....who needs a boat eh?:o Bought 2 each of all 4 colours but haven't had a chance yet to give them a swim....now I'm itching. Great lures with so many potential applications and techniques in the fresh.

Cheers and well done guys

Paul

cy_taylor1
04-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Hi Paul,

They certainly are good for shallow water fishing.

What are they?

1. An underwater stick-bait, or

2. A lipless crankbait?

Maybe we should just call them a 'floating bibless stick-crankbait'?

Confusing!

::)

C&K

the_matrix
04-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Guys,
They are just a bibless minnow!
Jas

McCod
06-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Hey Jas! yeah i will take it back for sure..... had a few hits on the silver one @ Monduran on the last trip but still none boated.
Gday CY @ Kerrin! Finally got a metery on the last evening up there:D C ya's up there again soon.

Cheers Les

Brad Clark
07-05-2007, 04:26 PM
I don't know if I missed it in all the threads but what is this lure called??

Boomi Boy
07-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Is there somewhere you can buy them online??

cheers

mylestom
07-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Is there somewhere you can buy them online??

cheers

Sure you could get them from Mail Order (MO) Tackle if you look it up.

They are in there latest catalogue.

Trev

the_matrix
07-05-2007, 07:42 PM
The lure is called a Stiffy Boney Bream
Jas

Boomi Boy
07-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Sure you could get them from Mail Order (MO) Tackle if you look it up.

They are in there latest catalogue.

Trev

They are there now, wern,t yesterday, cheers

mylestom
08-05-2007, 08:24 AM
They are there now, wern,t yesterday, cheers

Not a bad price for the Bushy Stiffys with the owner hooks at $12.95, wish a few of the other barra lure makers would fit with the owners, gets a bit expensive replacing hooks and split rings.

Well looking forward to trying them out in out next impoundment tour in Sept,Oct and Nov.

Trev

devocean
08-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Im not saying or accussing anyone here of anything but arnt those taylor boys sponsored by Bushy and squidgy????

the_matrix
08-05-2007, 04:18 PM
So what are you trying to say?
Jas

Awoonga
08-05-2007, 08:41 PM
The Taylor Boys had to buy there Bushy lures from Prossy tackle..I was there on the day that they bought them off Lindsay....

Mak579
08-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Im not saying or accussing anyone here of anything but arnt those taylor boys sponsored by Bushy and squidgy????

I'm not aware of what agreement anyone has, IMHO for me the biggest thing is that these lures were built for, and tested on impoundment barra!

To be honest, I can't name another hardbody lure that you can pull out of the packet and go fish for geniune full size impoundment barra without modifying in some way. If there is another one out there, let me know so I don't have to keep changing split rings and trebles or have my lures come back with eyelets missing!!!

Nevertheless, it's a pleasant change to see manufactureres recognizing impoundment barra anglers needs and hopefully a few more manufacturers will adopt this trend.

Good Stuff Bushy!

Matt C

shaneoo
13-05-2007, 08:24 AM
howdy guys,
we have brought some of the new stiffys to try in a couple of weeks at monduran, is there any speacial way that we should work the lures or even weight the front of the lure to sink under the surface a little, if any of u kind guys dont mind sharing a little info that would be great.
cheers shaneoo

the_matrix
13-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Very simple to use mate, and you can customise the lure with sticky weight if you want to suspend or sink it.
They are intended to be slow rolled on a medium retrieve, but you can put twitches in the pause, let it float then twitch, you name it.
The great thing about the lure is you can do a number of things with it depending on the fish's mood.
Slow rolled on a moonlit night= bloody deadly.
Play around with it.
If your unsure just go to the standard retrieve.
Cheers
Jas

RayB
14-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Has anyone tried trolling the lures?

I bought one the other day and the packet metions they are good for trolling. I also picked up on Jason's comment about stick weights, maybe these would hep get the lure lower in the water on the troll.

cheers
Raymond

shaneoo
14-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Cheers very much matrix.
we will give it a go on the full moon this month at monduran dam. We will be up there for 4 days so hopefully we should get them to work.

cheers shaneoo

skeeter
14-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Hi guys,
Skeeter I'd say you are thinking of the stiffy fizzer which has been on the market since last years AFTA show.
Jas

Your absolutely right, I was thinking of the fizzer.

They are definately available at BCF, I bought one late last week. So far 2 catfish and no barra. Thinking about changing my name to cattywhisperer. :-/ I am going to give it another roll this week on the natives.

skeeter
14-05-2007, 06:29 PM
I noticed that ######## has them now too. Anyone know how deep they supposed to go? Mine seems to drop down about 1m to 1.5m but the water is pretty dirty here. The packaging doesn't suggest a dept (other than shallow). Looks and feels like a pretty tough lure.

the_matrix
14-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Yeh Skeeter they are not exclusive to any tackle store.
They swim around 2-3 feet deep depending on how fast you retrieve.
Keep at it, where theres Catties, there's surely Barra!
Good luck.
Jas

devocean
15-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Picked up one last night you all convinced me

trev1
18-05-2007, 09:30 PM
I give one a run today, good lure. Fairly large weave on a smooth retrieve, comes alive when you twitch, dont seem to tangle hooks and line at all.;D
Too bad the Barra didn't like it though.:(

the_matrix
02-06-2007, 10:18 AM
They work very well guys, this 124cm fish ate one yesterday, along with four of her metre plus buddies.
Wednesday produced 5 over a metre, Thursday 7 fish (3 over a metre).
They are strong lures, I have used the same Boney Bream for all of those fish, but the anchor points are looking a little out of shape. Think I might retire it, sheesh its got some battle scars.

Big_Ren
04-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Time to hunt around for a bigger brag mat I think Jas::) Awesome fish mate.

Cheers
Paul