PDA

View Full Version : A different world we live in

INDULGENCE
16-04-2007, 08:55 AM
After having a reasonable day we returned to our local ramp to be confronted by 2 young guys with measuring boards and offical type note pads.
These guys asked a couple of questions about our days fishing and catch after explaining that they were carrying out a survey of rec fishing.

Being the grumpy bastard that I am when outfished by the wife, I gave these guys the short end and left.

In the pub later in the afternoon the topic came up about these guys and who they were,and what the survey was all about.

Gee it was interesting to listen to some of the explanations.

In the past we would have all jumped in and helped these guys where now we are so suspicious.

Should we have helped them?

Wally

roydsy
16-04-2007, 08:57 AM
yes, most definitely.

I would have no problems sharing all information.

finga
16-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Yes help as long as they had the relevant ID shown to you and an explanation of what they were up to.

Ausfish
16-04-2007, 10:03 AM
I would be suspicious. It may just be a coincidence but it is amazing the amount of great fishing locations that have been closed after so called research has been conducted.

Just look at the great Grey Nurse Shark Con.

FNQCairns
16-04-2007, 11:40 AM
No not unless they as above have said fully inform you (so you can make an informed choice, loose lips sink ships!!) and offer a free copy of the final draft/publication for your time.

cheers fnq

PS he he...actually today I would ask for a signed consent form from a recreational fishing advocacy group Ok'ing my participation first:) :)

cheers fnq

jackson4300
16-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Ausfish, agree with you completely, Wanting to close off reef areas outside moreton saying that is where the femal (or male forgot) congregate. Now my dad has been fishing for lets say awhile, hehe, but hes only ever caught one grey nurse which wasn't no where near moreton. The greenies are taking this way to far !!!

honda900
16-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Heres the go,

first find out who's in charge of them, ask him if he is prepared to give you his mobile number, just to be sure, ring his number after he gives it to you so you know it's good. This will give you an indication of how far they are prepared to go for the survey.. ;D No number, No info..

Regards
Honda

Reef_fisher
16-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Bingo everyone, makes their lives as hard as they have made ours.

Luc
16-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Have to agree, no official ID means no help.

Luc

Mattg68
16-04-2007, 09:21 PM
I agree, if it's not mandatory I wouldn't give out info but I would still be pleasant about it.

Indulgence, I can understand the mood you must have been in though - I mean being outfished by the boss, ohhhhh that must have stung.

Matt

Hamish73
16-04-2007, 09:32 PM
It could also go the other way guys, if the survey comes back with '80% of the fishermen wouldnt tell us jack' ,it implies guilt and that people are doing the wrong thing and dont want to disclose their fish they are bringing home

bungie
16-04-2007, 09:42 PM
They dont honestly expect the truth from a bunch of fishermen any way :)

My fish was this :2thumbsup: big

;) ::) ::)

INDULGENCE
17-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I noticed last night that there has been installed those black traffic type counters across the ramp. It looks like we may be in for some serious stuff.
I would have thought if they wanted to know anything they would have contacted the local fishing clubs or the local boating groups.
We have been allocated the HMAS Adelaide to be scuttled here next year and I wonder if this survey is not by people against it
Thanks again

Wally

Noelm
17-04-2007, 11:21 AM
not too sure we need to be suspicious of someone at a boat ramp taking statistics, unless they ask for some sort of personal stuff (like address or credit details say) then what can they possibly "take" from you, sure there MAY be a remote chance that they are looking for some sort of "evidence" to create a Marine Park, but they MAY be after the same info to prevent a marine park!! not that I totally agree with everyone that a marine Park is a completely wrong thing! just because it affects me/you does not make it wrong!

Noelm
17-04-2007, 11:23 AM
hey 'indulgence" I have seen those (counter things) at our ramp as well must be a big time survey thing perhaps, or we use the same ramp!

nigelr
17-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Are those little black boxes potential revenue counters, perhaps?
Next thing you know, you lucky Qld'ers will need licences like us good NSW folk!
Funny thing there is no disclosure about the counters use, perhaps your local council is considering an upgrade for your ramp!
Cheers!