PDA

View Full Version : Towing on the Beach

John_R
14-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Will be towing my boat which is a Quintrex 530 Spirit Cuddy up the beach on Fraser soon.

Question is whether the current 185/100/14 LT tyres mounted on 14x6 rims on a single axle can be improved on. So far one wrecker and one tyre retailer unable to assist. The wrecker was suggesting 225/75 but then had no rims with HT stud pattern. These would work out smaller diameter than the originals.

The tow vehicle is a Navara STR Turbo Diesel and the track of the trailer is 50cm wider than the car.

So do I really need wider tyres - would they be the difference between making it over the blow or not? Going up for a week so the whole rig will be loaded down.

finding_time
14-04-2007, 05:55 PM
John

I have towed my boat to fraser with a very similar setup( 5.2 meter southwind) which would be at least as heavy if not heavier. I would not change the tyres at all and just drop the tyre pressure to around 15 psi and you should be fine. Try to avoid the trap of filling the boat with gear, just because it's a big space dont try and fill it, use it for light bulky stuff by all means but keep the heavy stuff in the navara. ( it will help the narvara's traction anyway)

Ian

Ps. at the blows remember to give it some, don't be a wuss!!;)

PPs. if you do change to a bigger rolling dia. tyre your going to have to sink your trailer deeper which can be difficult at times;)

sempre
14-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Give it heaps , turn the radio right up so you cant hear the engine .
Seriously , you should be fine , lots of guys tow similiar rigs with the same set up .
I have heard Indian Head is a mess at the moment , so make sure you got help.
Sam...

hoga
14-04-2007, 09:11 PM
i have some 15 inch rims & tyres holden stud pattern if u need them

gawby
14-04-2007, 10:01 PM
John,
Save your money and go as is.
Like said, drop your tyre pressure and give it a bit in the soft stuff.
Get help through Indian Head.
Graeme

Black_Rat
14-04-2007, 10:03 PM
John, if the tralier width is only 50mm wider overall (assumming it's the outside measurment of the tyre on the Navara and the tyre width of the boat trailer) it wont make a difference.

Either way the Navara will make short work of it ! ;D

copie
14-04-2007, 11:16 PM
John- R as finding time said. I personally have towed my previous boat a 5.8 alloy stingray half cab up fraser and have had no problems at all. I changed my road wheels and tyres over at rainbow fitting on volvo wheels which are the same stud pattern as early holden. I picked a pair of half worn out low profile tyres as wide as i could get and ran about 15psi. As said above dont over load the trailer and you will be fine.
MARK

John_R
15-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Thanks guys. Look like we will try it with the stock tyres. Damo the outsides of the tyres on the trailer are 50 cm wider than the truck, hence will be cutting their own rut.

Mark - that was what I had in mind doing, but these guys think it is not necessary.

We have two boats and one loose truck for recovery. Have heard it may be a good idea to snatch all the way up the sandhill.

Either way I have done some sand driving before so know to give it a bit of stick and get the tyre pressure down. Never with a trailer though.

Am going to get a canopy on the Navara so we can maximise the gear on the truck and minimise what is in the boat.

John

You will have no worries with your stock tyres. I have a Southwind 565 with 13 inch tyres (LT radials) and have no worries. Let you trailer tyres down to when they bag up (mine do this at 28 psi). I go through Indian with truck tyres at 18 psi if good and as low as 12 if it is very loose. Make sure trailer rollers spigots are not hanging too low - wood slats and tree roots on track to Orchid/Waddy catch on them. Buy a quality spare tyre- when running at low pressures and across that track you may have issues (delamination, puncture). You have to travel all that way home on your spare with your expensive rig, I wouldn't trust it to a wreckers tyre. By the sound of your name and boat/truck set up, you may be the brother of a guy I work with (Ross ??) - let me know if you are and I will send an email through Ross for you regarding a few other tips

Cheers

A

John_R
16-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Age,

Yep Ross is my brother.

I have a spare - brand new on same alloy 14 inch rims.

Am working on the spigots - have cut off 4 so far and have about another 12 to go.

Ross is in Adelaide this week apparently - you can email me direct at johnarandall@_takethisout_hotmail.com. Remove _takethisout_.

I would reckon that my rig will be one of the least expensive up there - but obviously don't want any damage if it can avoided.

Regards

John