PDA

View Full Version : Murry River and surrounds

clinker
14-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Hi Guys

I hope this thread starts a discussion.

Is it time that we made a law that all fish caught in these areas are to be released, except for Carp off course.

Reason i say this is that catching a nice fish is getting harder and harder, you see three days comps and no fish recorded on some days. You go camping for a weekend and now you cant even seem to catch a Reddie.

I dont profess to know whats happening but I can certainly see we have a problem, could it be the number of people angling now overpowering the fishes ability too keep up.

Trev

wamjam
14-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Mate I think if we could stop the old die hard dropper and set line fishers that think they have to keep every fish that leaves the water would be a big start.
wamjam

yellahunter
16-04-2007, 09:42 PM
isnt the fishing improving in the river,

i know the drought isnt helping things but i thought natives and cod in particular were making a good comeback in the river. well in vic anyways

Thepato
16-04-2007, 10:16 PM
The problem then is where do you stop? The Greens would probably like to see your idea taken one step further and ban fishing altogether. I'm a catch and release only fisho but I don't see a problem with people taking a few fish within the regulations (although I do think a bag limit of 10 yellows is excessive). I would love to see some more policing of the rules we have now. I do plenty of freshwater fishing and I only get approached by fisheries about once every two years. Unfortunately it can take a small minority to destroy a great fishery.
Cheers

brian steele
17-04-2007, 02:28 AM
A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step...

.. Good on ya Trev.

NOjacks
17-04-2007, 08:54 PM
i fished the dumeresq river near riverton over easter with a couple of mates we fished hard and 12 green fish for the trip did a lot of hiking the banks about 15kms and every group of people we found had at least 10 set lines none had caught a greeny but they kept the rest. cant see the fun in it myself cant bring myself to kill a greeny so we allways take enough steak for the trip
NOjacks