PDA

View Full Version : Tilt & Trim - Oil Leak

majed1965
13-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi,

Just noticed today the tilt / trim on my Evinrude 1977 70HP is leaking oil from the port side hydraulic cyclinder.

I have had a closer look at it and found there is a whole around 3/4 of the way down the cylinder where a bolt possibly was. When you tilt the outboard the oil gushes out of it. I noticed there is some sort of electrical connector which maybe part of some trim gauge on dashboards, which my boat doesn't have fitted.

I have tried numorous bolts to block the whole but they dont work. The whole seems to have plastic piece around the inside of the opening which is probably part of what was there b4 i noticed the leak.

Does anyone know what i can do to either remove the plastic insert and what i can use to block the whole?

Thanks.
Majed

Roughasguts
15-04-2007, 08:13 AM
Hi Majed, blocking the hole ain't going to be hard to do, but Is it a oil line that should be going some where?.

I don't know maybe it is a pressure releif that returns to the oil reserve bottle.
If it was mine I would go to a service manual, or check out spare parts place and see what part is missing.

BM
15-04-2007, 04:22 PM
The port ram on that trim system houses the trim gauge sender assembly.

Usually there is a bolt protruding from the housing surrounded by a white nylon washer and a rubber gasket. This is the trim gauge assembly and it is operated by a ball bearing and a coil spring inside the ram.

This is THE CAUSE of failure on the port ram of these engines. They usually seize up due to water ingress.

These rams are as rare as hens teeth (coz they're all rooted) and expect to pay around $200 for one......

Cheers