PDA

View Full Version : Paint Stripping a alloy hull.

_Dan_
13-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Hey all,

I have some paint on the hull of my stessl, and was wondering the best way of stripping it off. I have thought about fliipping it and using paint stripper. I am a spraypainter by trade and thought htis may be the best option?

Anyone else doen this before and are there any easier or other options?

Cheers

Dan

WHALEOIL
13-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Dan,

I used paint stripper on a 530 savage. I don't know if the stripper is bad for aluminium but, too late now. The paint came off real easy and the new paint has held well. I did mine 2 years ago.

I found the paint on stripper cheaper and better than the spray on.

Eagle
14-04-2007, 12:38 AM
There was a post about this very thing just a few days ago. I would never use any chemical on aluminium as the metal is attacked by just about every chemical there is except water, and even water will stain it. The worst stuff to apply to aluminium is Caustic Soda or any thing containing this chemical. The caustic soda disolves aluminium faster than you can drink beer on a hot day. The best and fastest way to remove paint on an alloy boat is to have it sand blasted. The grit to use MUST BE very fine SAND or GLASS BEADS. Never (NEVER) use any other form of abrasive. Some abrasives are made from slag from copper refining and this stuff will impregnate into the surface and totaly destroy the boat from electrolosis. The fine sand or glass will not damage the metal and will prep the surface for the etch coat of paint. The sand/glass will also get into all the "tight" spots and corners. A liquid chemical will seep into any seam where there is an overlap (capillary action) and can be impossible to remove. This influx of chemical can then attack the metal and you wont know until it is too late. You can remove paint from the hull using a "flapper" wheel but you MUST have experience if going this route. It is all too easy to "flap grind" a thin spot, or worse, a hole through the metal, especialy the deck as the metal is usually thinner. The sand/glass bead blast is the best way to go.

Eagle

hervey_bay
14-04-2007, 07:02 PM
I did a Clark car topper with paint stripper a couple of years ago , did what it was supposed to and didn't touch the Aluminium one bit . Just left it shiny and smooth.
I bought 4 litre tins from Supercheap. Septone product , I think from memory.

_Dan_
17-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Many thanks all.

I think i will do a spot and see the outcome.

Cheers

Dan

trev1
17-04-2007, 06:50 PM
If you go the sandblast route, be careful who does the job. Sandblasting can create heat in the alloy and warp the panels of your boat , I have seen this happen to a couple of small tinnys. The sides end up wavy when you look down them.

Eagle
17-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Wavey panels are not usually caused by heat so much as they are caused by blasting with too high a presure and staying too long in one spot. The metal will certainly get hot but if this is happening, drastic changes in technique must be made, The sand blast actually expands the metal on the surface and the extra length is accomodated by bowing and making a wavey appearance. Try this simple test. Get a peice of 3 mm thick steel, about 50 mm wide x 150 mm long and sand blast ONE surface. The steel will bow about 2 mm upward on the blasted surface. Now spray the other side. The steel will become straight and flat again. If you measured the length before and after, you will find the steel is now a little bit longer. Aluminium, being so much softer, will stretch (expand) a huge amount further. There is no corrective technique for a hull if this happens. Just sand blast with a pressure that is just enough to work and use very fine sand or glass beads. Dont stay too long in one spot and hold the sand blast gun at a low angle to the surface. Gently does it.

Eagle

No Fear
18-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Just a quick one to stir the pot, have a look under the thread entitled http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/misc/paperclip.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/forumdisplay.php?f=61&order=desc#) 6.2m Riptide (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=107021) on the previous page, apparently theres an easier way that does it itself, no labour required
(sorry if I someone gets annoyed, i like a bit of a joke)
Cheers

trev1
18-04-2007, 07:48 PM
I agree with you to a point EAGLE, but I know a few things , 1 Sandblasters LOVE lots of pressure and CFM . 2, it doesn't take aluminium too much sandblasting to become too hot to touch .
Notsaying dont do it , but just be careful who does it