PDA

View Full Version : What thread size for what job??

finga
12-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Gidday again all,
Another, maybe, silly question from silly old me.
What thread sizes do you need for which job when your laying around with rods??
I was going to order some threads but I got very confused with all the sizes. (not hard to do) :'(
Do I just buy all sizes and hope I'll use them??
Ta in advance
Scott :)

jan
12-04-2007, 11:20 PM
G'day Scott,
depends on what you are making up. size A for butt patterns and smaller rods for sp/flick sticks and size C for larger rods like LBG, game, kingy rods etc. some use D for beach rods but not really needed. Its funny I used to use C for most things but after using A for so long, when I have to use C it seems like rope in my fingers. You will get used to it quickly.
Cheers,
Jan.

ldnicolai1@comcast.n
17-04-2007, 03:55 PM
You can do everything you need to do with "A" thread. The other sizes are useful when you want to wrap over an underwrap without applying finish to the underwrap. If you try to overwrap the same size thread they tend to fall into the groove below and will not pack. I have read that "A" is actually the strongest thread because you get so many wraps per packed inch.

I actually use "D" thread for some buttwraps because it covers faster. You do have to stay completely square at all times because thread that large will leave large gaps if you can't tighten it because the pattern isn't square.

This is all size "D" except the guide wrap.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/crabbait_photos/Johns670-15.jpg

sid_fishes
17-04-2007, 05:27 PM
geezzz i wish i could sit down long enuff to do that shit

sid_fishes
17-04-2007, 05:30 PM
but wouldn,t d thread make the blank ,stiffer around the front grip cheers ian