PDA

View Full Version : Rinsing Outboards

zigfreed
12-04-2007, 01:42 PM
G'Day All

Years ago a mate of mine put me onto a good tip when flushing your outboard, pull the hose off the tap for a couple of seconds and jam some dishwashing detergent down the hose then reconnect- quietens the motor right down but the real objective is to keep soft and lubricative the water impeller.

I reckon it works a treat, the water is continually flowing throught the motor etc and all is good.

My question is i was telling one of the boys at work about it and he told me he used to do the same with kero and it works even better......

Anyone heard of this???? or is someone having a lend of me here..................:(

Mick

FNQCairns
12-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Don't think it would hurt and might even do some good if it helps clear some of the complexes that form due to silt, temperature and salt water chemistry.

Years ago when the impellers were made of a fair bit more rubber they used to take a hard set pretty early, today with the synthetic high temperature and elastic impregnates they use in the impeller compound it may be a bit of a waste of time for at least the impeler alone.

A person can also add a pale oil like machining oil to the flush bucket, keeps things nice and shiny. Todays impellers easily make 5 years in offshore engines.

For me it has been over 10 years since I needed to changed an impeller within 3 years, not counting the one I accidentally abused and stuffed.

cheers fnq

whiteman
13-04-2007, 01:20 PM
The local Yammie guy says don't bother adding anything as it's more likely to harm than help. He suggest upping the revs from 600 to 1000 for the flush.

Dignity
13-04-2007, 09:12 PM
I wonder. With modern alloys and synthetic rubbers it probably may make no difference but................... there's always a but, does salt buid up disolve quicker ina detergent/kero mix or not. Must get a couple of mates to each add a set amount of salt crystals to a measured amount of water - various mixes of course - plain, detergent added and kero added, and to mix thoroughly to see if they disolve the salt any quicker. May be a bonus with water resrictions.

FNQCairns
13-04-2007, 09:33 PM
He suggest upping the revs from 600 to 1000 for the flush.

For what it's worth I agree, the harmfull permanent deposits are formed under temperature therefore with passive rinsing only the same or higher temperature will dissolve them if at all in the typical amount of time a flush usually takes.

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
15-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi Guy's just be aware some rubber don't like detergent, it makes it soft and almost liquid. For example an old rubber sink plug soon turns in to a soft slimy pulp if left sitting in detergent, same goes for rubber car tubes and hoses.

I think detergent, oil, and some rubbers, are all petrolium products, so eat each other out in time.