PDA

View Full Version : deadrise and new boat question?

richyrich
11-04-2007, 05:59 PM
I am in the process of researching the best plate alum boat to buy for my needs (fishing!!!)
On a boat of 5.5m-6.1m what degree of deadrise should I be looking for
and how will a lower and higher deadrise affect the performance of the boat in the water?
Should I be looking for a boat with the biggest deadrise?
Thank you

oldie
11-04-2007, 06:09 PM
hey richyrich, deadrise in a boat is basically just for the way the boat cuts through the water, some craft have pretty hefty deadrisers and are great under power, but when you at rest fishing can really become unstable and rocky! most makes are pretty much on par with deadrise, but id be looking at barcrusher or trailcraft, both makes are respected barcrusher have a system that helps boat at rest and i think they do a 6.1m model, in fact ive seen one on ebay for sale, as new! try to go with a brand that gives you good resale value, trailcraft,barcrusher, Fisher boats look good.
just remember to look at stability in boats with step deadrise
good luck

richyrich
11-04-2007, 06:16 PM
oldie, thank you for that. i am in vic and are considering a fisher, but need to work out what would happen with servicing and warranty issues given they are in wa, barcrusher and trailcraft are also in the mix too. you obviously know your plate boats. cheers

Edencraft
11-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Fischer boats on the Sunshine Coast in QLD, would be my pick of all the plate boats with my second being AMM

richyrich
13-04-2007, 08:45 PM
guys this deadrise issue is somewhat difficult to work out.

On the fisher range of plate boats (yeah Qld not Wa, not sure why I thought they were in WA??) there are two diff models and within each there are many different lengths of boats.
1. Extended Transom Series (17 Degree deadrise)
2. Maxi Series (23 degree Deadrise)
All fisher boats have the water ballast system (like barcrusher I assume). So given that I will be fishing Port Phillip Bay and once game enough and an experienced boatie!! will fish 4-5 miles into Bass Strait. Wont be doing much trolling, more drift fishing and bottom fishing for snapper, whiting, kingfish, mulloway, and mako's (once experienced)

Given this and taking into account of all your above comments, am I better to go for a size that suits the budget in the Extended Transom Series (17deg deadrise), as this I assume will be more stable at rest than the Maxi Series with a 23degree deadrise??????

A silly question, but why have two different range of boats with different deadrises, is the 23deadrise range more suited to tropical fishing like mostly trolling offshore for the series fish like tuna and marlin? and the 17 degree deadrise range for more bay type fishing? Port Phillip can get pretty yucky so I do want a boat that can handle most stuff (within reason),
I am going to get a hardtop so I have protection and can fish all year round.

Really want to get this right, as the most important thing to me is 1. Comfortable ride (been in many alum plate boats and know they do thump a bit), but want the most stable platform I can get too).

Look forward to your comments

Alchemy
13-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi Richyrich,

Just to clarify for you, the Fisher 17 degree hull doesn't have water ballast. It is only the hulls with the 23 degree deadrise. I have had one of these for a bit over two years now, and stability at rest is very good. This is due to the water ballast.

As oldie mentioned, the boats with a sharper deadrise will generally "cut" through the water better than those with a shallower deadrise. FYI - the Barcrusher only carries a 20 degree deadrise, with water ballast. Not sure on the deadrise of the others.

Regards,
Dave.

PS, I'd be surprised if you developed any problem requiring warranty attention. Very well built boats.

richyrich
13-04-2007, 09:29 PM
alchemy, thanx for pointing that out (ballast system ie). I am still finding out about these boats.
in your opinion, would the Fisher 550 Extended Transom Boat (without the ballast system) be more stable, less stable, or about the same as a fisher 580 maxi series (with the ballast system)?

thank you

FNQCairns
13-04-2007, 09:57 PM
A silly question, but why have two different range of boats with different deadrises,

I know near nothing of the Fisher range of boat specs but usually when a manufacturer offers 2 boats of the same lenght/construction/end use and therefore somewhat near the same weight the lower deadrise boat will require less HP to perform (and feel somewhat sportier to new comers), best to compete and market against as many other manufacturers offerings as possible.

cheers fnq

Alchemy
14-04-2007, 08:18 AM
alchemy, thanx for pointing that out (ballast system ie). I am still finding out about these boats.
in your opinion, would the Fisher 550 Extended Transom Boat (without the ballast system) be more stable, less stable, or about the same as a fisher 580 maxi series (with the ballast system)?

thank you

richyrich, I would suspect stability of each at rest would be very similar. The water ballast does an amazing job. Like you, one of my main wants when I was researching this boat, was a great ride. I have been in a plate boat with an 18 degree deadrise (so close to the Fisher 17) and imo it didn't ride anywhere near as softly as my Fisher. If I were ever looking to get a bigger boat, then I wouldn't hesitate getting another Fisher.

FNQ's point re horse power is valid also. The deeper the deadrise the more power needed to get similar performance. The maxi hull has a "keel flat" about 6" wide at the transom, which gradually narrows as it runs forward. I'm guessing this helps the boat plan at low speeds in conjunction with the planning strakes. (the Barcrusher don't use planning strakes). Alchemy will plane at about 10knots, with a 200hp suzi 4 stroke.

Give Col a ring at Fisher and run through your questions with him too, as he obviously knows his boats a lot better than me.

Regards,
Dave.

richyrich
14-04-2007, 02:41 PM
thanx alchemy, i have spoken with col by email on a number of occassions and he has been first rate. once i have made up my mind 100% that it will be a fisher then I will talk by phone. I am sure Col, is a very busy man so dont want to take up too much of his time until I am ready to sign on dotted line............I need to do a fair bit more research in terms of boat layout etc, yet , very exciting though!!!

kim raynham
15-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi Richyrich,I have read all the previous comments & agree with most of them, I have recently purchased a 600 maxi from Col, the reason I went with Fisher Boats is I do mostly off shore fishing, & Fisher Boats give a good ride in rough conditions, they give stability at rest & are an extremly well build boat. Before you make your final decision, you should try to get up to Fiher & trail their boats, I am sure it will be a trip well worth while.

Grand_Marlin
15-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Richyrich, Col from Fishers is on Ausfish as well - they are a site sponsor.

His name on here is ColS

Cheers

Pete