PDA

View Full Version : Boating and Fishing regulations interstate

Eagle
10-04-2007, 09:43 PM
I am thinking of towing our boat (Qld rego) over the border to NSW and maybe down to Vic. to have a go at the fishing down there. I read in the Qld Gov. booklet on boating that if you come to Qld, your boat drivers license will be recognized but you may need to obtain Qld rego for your boat.
Is this the same for me if I go over the NSW border? Do I need to re-register my boat in NSW so that we can use it even if we are down there for only 3 weeks at most? Is my Qld boat license recognized in NSW and VIC? My license is attached to my drivers license via Qld. Gov. computers. I do have a printed copy somewhere but it is now misplaced.
Why do you boaties over the border need a fishing license to fish in the sea? We don't have such a thing here in Qld. We also have some fantastic launching ramps all around the coastline and the use of same is free. Is a NSW fishing License valid in Vic. when sea fishing? (me thinks not).
I think the whole deal about boat rego. not being recognized (is this correct?) south of the border is a total cop out! I can drive my car all over Australia when on holiday, (I can take 3 months or more) and I certainly dont have to register the car in each State that I visit. If I need to obtain boat rego. for each State, this is morally WRONG!!! It's also morally wrong if you need to obtain new boat rego. up here if you cross the Qld border! Boat rego. should be given the same benefits as cars when crossing the borders. Anthing less is despicable and a con job by the State Governments!!
How do you fellas living on the Qld/NSW border (Coolangatta/Tweed Heads) get on if you want to go north or south to fish the water over the border? Do you need dual rego to use your boat ????
So what's the go with my boat license, boat rego and fishing license (?) if I cross the border?

Eagle (maybe I should stay home!)

WHALEOIL
11-04-2007, 10:22 AM
http://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/

I never checked when I went up there last year. I didn't think I had to.

You can get a fishing license for a month = $12. I don't mind paying for a license as the revenue raised is actually being used.

timddo
11-04-2007, 11:52 AM
I don't think you need to re register your boat in NSW. It's only if you permanently move down their. But you do need a fishing license. Just imagine you had to register your car everytime you drove interestate.?????????

FNQCairns
11-04-2007, 01:57 PM
There is a hell of a lot morally wrong IMO at the governmental level but not this. You can use your boat, car, camper whatever without fear of reprisal from the authorites in any way. Just one streetwise piece of advice no matter when you are asked how long you have been in the state it is only ever just a few days and you will be returning soon.

The fishing licence/tax is a crock it was a crock when it came in and will stay one, cannot think of a better reason not to grace the state myself.

cheers fnq

walruss
11-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Having travelled in all three states towing the boat, there really is no problem. All states recognise the boat registration and licence held in the state that you live. Providing you are a "tourist" all remains current until you shift interstate permanently.

Fishing licence however need to current and issued from whichever state they wish to fish in. ie 2 states 2 fishing licences.

Russ

finga
11-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Having travelled in all three states towing the boat, there really is no problem. All states recognise the boat registration and licence held in the state that you live. Providing you are a "tourist" all remains current until you shift interstate permanently.

Fishing licence however need to current and issued from whichever state they wish to fish in. ie 2 states 2 fishing licences.

Russ
Yep, all is good Aust. wide for rego's if your a tourist. No need to change.
Get a fishing license though from which-ever state your going to be in.
Best to check all local rules and regs fishing wise and if you take poor old pooch ask about them with every council you visit as well.